USAS to support Sporting Clays event

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USAS

USAS to support Sporting Clays event

Post by USAS »

USA Shooting Sends Shotgun Athletes, Team Coach and Gold Medalist to San Antonio for the FNAWS Celebrity Sporting Clays Event

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Due to the growing partnership between USA Shooting and the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep (FNAWS), USA Shooting has announced today that it will send six shotgun shooters, National Team Coach Lloyd Woodhouse, and three-time Olympic medalist Lones Wigger to attend the FNAWS Celebrity Sporting Clays Event, held Mar. 1, 2005 at the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio, Texas.

The six shotgun shooters USA Shooting selected to attend are local San Antonio trap shooter and National Shotgun Team member, Maj. Dominic Grazioli, of the U.S. Air Force Reserve, women’s skeet shooter and National Team member Haley Dunn, women’s trap shooters Amanda Dorman and Kyndra Hogan, and men’s shotgunners Seth Dauenhauer and Kent Vail. Lloyd Woodhouse, the U.S. Olympic Shotgun Team Coach and the 2003 U.S. Olympic Committee’s Coach of the Year, will also be attending, as well as rifle shooter, Lones Wigger, a two-time Olympic gold medalist in 1964 and 1972.

“USA Shooting is excited about having its athletes and National Team coach participate in the FNAWS Celebrity Sporting Clays Event,” Buddy Duvall, Director of Marketing for USA Shooting said. “FNAWS has been a tremendous supporter of USA Shooting and this is an opportunity for our athletes to help support their organization while having a lot of fun!”

FNAWS is planning its first-ever Celebrity Sporting Clay event as an exciting new way to kick-off its 28th National Convention. The sporting clays will start flying at approximately 2 p.m. on Tuesday, with a Texas-style barbeque dinner and live-auction closing it down by 8 p.m. that evening. USA Shooting’s athletes will stay in San Antonio not only to compete in the Sporting Clay event, but to also attend the FNAWS National Convention held Mar. 2-5, at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center.

This first annual Celebrity Sporting Clay event will also host its more renowned FNAWS members, such as basketball legend Karl “The Mailman” Malone, retired U.S. Air Force’s Maj. Gen. Joe Engle, retired U.S. Air Force Maj. Gen. Doug Pearson, and the award-winning outdoor author Jim Shockey.

FNAWS is a non-profit wildlife conservation organization that has funded nearly $50,000,000 for wildlife conservation and sportsmen’s rights. FNAWS Director of Development, Neil Thagard states, “Partnerships for the sake of wildlife conservation and the shooting sports is critical and the USA Shooting Team fits the bill. We are glad to be associated with this group.”

FNAWS raised over $80,000 for the USA Shooting Team at their 2004 Conference in Reno, Nev. The largest single-donation to the Team was off a live-auction bid on a Remington 1100 Classic Trap shotgun—worth roughly $750 retail. By the conclusion of the show, the unembellished, standard shotgun sold for a final impressive auction bid of $65,000. Due to the unexpected generosity of FNAWS, its members and chapters, USA Shooting has made the organization an official sponsor.

USA Shooting is recognized by the U.S. Olympic Committee as the National Governing
Body for Olympic Shooting sports. For more information on the USA Shooting Team, or for any media interested in attending this event, please contact Sara Greenlee at 719-866-4896, or by email at sara.greenlee@usashooting.org. For more information on the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep, or if any media is interested in shooting in this event, please call FNAWS director of development, Neil Thagard, at 307-527-6261, or visit the FNAWS website at: www.fnaws.org.
mony

B S

Post by mony »

Who is the celebrity in the USA shooting team? Woodhouse? Give me a brack. he is a joke!
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Mony,

I have no idea who you are, but I can't imagine where you got the opinion that Woodhouse is a joke. The United States Olympic Committee folks evidently don't think he is a joke as they named him coach of the year. He has produced more medal winners than any other coach in shooting in the US. His accomplishments speak for themselves.

Lones Wigger makes a pretty good celebrity also, in my book. As many medals, national championships and other accolades as he has garnered over the years, he is recognized all over the world for his accomplishments.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to who USA Shooting should send as a celebrity.

Marc
mony

Post by mony »

Marc.
If this are tips from a National coach http://www.usoc.org/11716_12306.htm than a level I NSCA instructor can be Master coach at USA Shooting.Tip #6 can tell you all
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Mony,

All I can tell you is that this stuff you have referenced is a very basic tutorial for someone who has never picked up a shotgun. Certainly not the kind of coaching that the athletes get who have won so many medals over the past few years.

I think before you call the man a joke, you should find out a little more about him. He is anything but a joke. He is one of the most articulate and driven coaches I have ever met. I am offended that you would disrespect a man of his stature and a good personal friend of mine. I've known Lloyd for many years and have nothing but the highest regard for him. I don't know you, and I have no idea why you feel the need to criticize Lloyd. I can tell you without reservation that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Marc
Mony

Post by Mony »

Marc
One more try: Can you suggest me a book,a tape or an article about what he teach and how he teach Olympic shooting having 20 years experience as a National coach?I am interested in his personal style of teaching
Respecfully
Mony
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Mony,

I don't get it. Were all those other attacks on Lloyd an attempt to get to what you just now asked?? You must be from somewhere that English is not your native tongue. All I got from your previous posts was an overall sense of disrespect and sarcasm.

But now that you ask 'politely' I don't know what to tell you. Lloyd doesn't spend a lot of time writing books, to the best of my knowledge. I'm not sure that's what USA Shooting is paying him to do. I see him coaching elite athletes into medal winning performers. However, he may have some tips written down that he would be happy to share with you if you would only contact him. Go to USA Shooting's website and look for his contact information. Ask him what you have just asked me.

He doesn't need to produce tapes or books to prove he is a great coach. The number of medals his athletes have managed to acquire over the past 20 years speak volumes of his abilities.

When you do contact him, you will find that he is much more respectful of people who he has never met than you have been toward him.

Marc
aurorapolice02_11

Wow...

Post by aurorapolice02_11 »

I would highly discourage anyone from forming an opinion of a coach's style based on something read on the internet. We all know how much the media screws up information and misquotes people. In addition to that, it's on the freakin' internet. Mony, are you one of those people that says, "If it's on the internet, it must be true."? I bet you are...

I have experienced Lloyd's coaching style first hand. As residents, myself and John Bickar went to the shotgun range in Colorado Springs one day, just to try out skeet.

We horsed around for a little while, but Lloyd came over to offer advice. Let me just say he is VERY knowledgable and VERY patient. When I did exactly as Lloyd told me, I hit the clays. when I didn't do as instructed, I missed. To be able to get a pistol shooter to break targets consistently says a lot about his coaching. Of course he wasn't going to turn me into an Olympic Shotgunner, but he did work very well with me.

Do not base your opinion of Lloyd on the internet, you need to meet him in person before you criticize. Lloyd is one of the nicest people I have ever met and there should be more Lloyd Woodhouses in this world.

Mike Douglass
aurorapolice02_11

Oh I forgot...

Post by aurorapolice02_11 »

In the past three Olympic Games, Lloyd's shooters have won 6 Olympic Medals, two Gold...

Mike Douglass
John

Post by John »

Sarah give us some scores form San Antonio
TKS John