RIKA question: worth getting the trigger sensor?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JeffUIT

RIKA question: worth getting the trigger sensor?

Post by JeffUIT »

Through no fault of my own, I've managed to save up a bit of cash lately, and will be buying a Rika trainer. :-)

The only question I have is whether or not to go for the trigger pull sensor. If it works the way I think, it could probably give me a fair bit of feedback that could be useful. If it isn't totally functional, then it's a place not to sink extra funds. One post archived here from a year ago talked about a strange sensor behavior but there was no follow-up or reply.

Anybody out there own one and find it useful? Not useful?

Thanks in advance!

j
dsingh

Post by dsingh »

Save your Money. The Trigger sensor is not very useful. It is a good idea but it is actually very tough to implement well without a pricy load cell. The Rika sensor is more of a toy than a real reliable sensor -it is very sensitive to moisture, how it is attached to the trigger shoe and keeps losing it calibration during a training session. I have talked to the Rika designers on this one and they agree that it is not their best product.
aurorapolice02_11

I agree...

Post by aurorapolice02_11 »

I once complained to Erich Buljung about the recoil from my LP1. I know some shooters swear that gun has recoil. But here's my story. Erich told me my airgun does not recoil, I was adding the recoil through my technique and that the gun should not move one bit when the shot broke.

Of course I was skeptical...at first. Until he had me work a week straight just firing pellets into the backstop from the 25M line, no targets. Erich said to work soley on the trigger control and see what happends to the recoil. It took a while, but once I worked the trigger properly...no movement whatsoever!!

The point I am trying to make is that I agree with the previous post. Save your money, but make sure you spend it with Scotty on something else. If you see a movement that resembles a "recoil", check your trigger control first. It may not always be the cause, but chances are it is. If there is no movement at all, chances are the trigger control was proper, but not always.

Let the performance of the shot and your personal observations through the technique tell you whether the trigger control was smooth or not. Do not rely on a mechanical item to do that, you will not learn as quickly and properly from it.

Mike Douglass
Warren

Trigger analysis

Post by Warren »

There is plenty of feedback from the stats given without the trigger sensor. Lots of indication of the overall effect of trigger control on the outcome. The trigger sensor is fiddly to fit, and to my mind would be of more benefit to beginner shooters.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Y'all know how much I love my Rika . . . however, the trigger sensor is pretty much useless.

All I can see on the graph is the first stage takeup.

I don't care how smooth my first stage take up is.

Steve Swartz

(p.s. if you had your trigger set up 50-50 you might be able to see more)
FredB

A different use for sensor?

Post by FredB »

OK, if the trigger sensor is not very useful when attached to the trigger, what about using it somewhere else? For example, how about under the little finger or the thumb to chart if pressure there increases during the shot progression? Has anyone done that? Does anyone think it would have value to do so? Just some questions that occurred to me.

FredB