1900 vs. 2000 series Actions for 22 cal. Target Rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rjl227

1900 vs. 2000 series Actions for 22 cal. Target Rifle

Post by rjl227 »

I'm buying a new System Gemini smallbore rifle stock, and I need opinions on whether to buy a 1900 series action or 2000 series action for it. If anyone has any opinions please respond. Thanks.
Last edited by rjl227 on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

Would love to hear some replies too,where does the 20 action stand now that it has been available for some time.
Bart B.

Post by Bart B. »

I've watched the prone match winners and other top scores fired by both types for several years. I don't think there is any significant difference between those barreled actions that are epoxy bedded.

But I do believe the standard factory bedding of the flat bottom receivers in wood stocks is a little better than the round ones. Coupled with the longer barrel tenon fit to the receiver to improve barrel whip repeatability, the 20XX series receiver could provide better accuracy than the 19XX series. In metal stocks, I doubt there would be any significant difference

How much difference is there? It may take a few thousand rounds fired in a machine-rested rifle to tell. And matching an ammo brand/type/lot to your rifle could easily result in either type shooting smaller test groups.

With ammo made today not quite as good as that of 30 years ago, my guess is one would be hard-pressed to determine which type is best without spending several pounds of large-denomination paper money.
Sven

Post by Sven »

I would try to get info on this subject from the smallbore Benchrest shooting community on the internet. I thought there are quite some BR50 shooters in the US (as compared to europe, where i'am from) who might have usefull info on which system they prefer. They are real material and testing freaks. And benchrest match results usually mention the equipment used, so you might take a look in the match results.
(maybe you could post usefull links or info here if you find any)

Sven.

Post by Guest »

In general the br shooters seem be very down on the 2013. They say it is hard to bed and get to shoot well. Looks to me though like it (the 2013) does well in prone and 3p i see many top shooters using it. I really like mine.
ksilver

Post by ksilver »

I recently bought a 2013 in a wooden stock, but I did a lot of "Googling" around the internet to try and get some info on it first.

There is a fair amount of info on the 2013 in some of the benchrest forums, but there's not a lot of it recent. There is however a distinct trend in all these forums that go along the line of "My best friend's brother's 3rd cousin's flatmate had one and hated it". But the few contributers who actually owned 2013's tended to say "It's a bit fiddly to set up (trying to get consistent torque around the 4 action screws), but once it's right it shoots pretty well". Tightening each of the bolts a little at a time seems to be the way to do it.

To answer your initial question a friend of mine has the new Gemini stock (looks and feels really nice), and I can't think of any reason why the square action shouldn't work really well with it. Why not.

It is also worth bearing in mind that Matt Emmons won the Olympics with a 2013!