Air Rifle Sight Picture

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Air Rifle Sight Picture

Post by Guest »

How should one focus on the sights in air rifle. That is-should you focus on the front sight as in pistol, or on the target itself, lining up the circles? Thanks.
cbpersel

Post by cbpersel »

On the target, lining up the circles.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

On the foresight, lining up the circles.
cbpersel

Post by cbpersel »

Let me re-phrase myself. Unlike pistol . . . you want to to have a clear picture of the sights AND target.

Craig
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

cbpersel wrote:Let me re-phrase myself. Unlike pistol . . . you want to to have a clear picture of the sights AND target.
Er... well, if you can get that, wonderful - but many people can't focus clearly at distances of one meter and ten/fifty metres at the same time and to the same degree of clarity. So generally, it's the foresight. 'Course, the book is titled "Ways of the Rifle", so if it works for you, use it!
cbpersel

Post by cbpersel »

Let me quote from Ralf Horneber's "Olympic Target Rifle Shooting" . . . the rifle shooter (as opposed to the pistol shooter) directs his attention to centering of the image of the aiming mark in the frontsight element. When doing this it is important that the sight-picture is seen as a whole, rather than successively focusing on the aiming mark and the frontsight ring to make the comparison."

Are they both 100% clear? Probably not, but close enough and in equal clarity compared to one another. I`m assuming, but not certain, that the eye is probably focusing somewhere between the end of the rifle and the target to achieve this.

Craig