Walther LP-300 ..any thoughts for a new AP shooter?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Steven Lesko

Walther LP-300 ..any thoughts for a new AP shooter?

Post by Steven Lesko »

I know someone selling a LNIB LP 300 for sale...asking around $875. Is this a good price? Any problems with this AP? How does it compare to the Steyr LP 10?

Thanks
Steve
RJP

LP300

Post by RJP »

I have owned a LP300 for almost 3 years now. It has all the state of the art features of the current generation of air pistols. It is extremely accurate. The grip feels better than all others I have tried, including Morini grips. If you can get past the esthetics of the blue and tan strips of wood that Walther makes their grips out of, the feel and adjustment is excellent. Walther triggers are very crisp, but most AP shooter seem to prefer a softer rolling or electronic trigger.

One the problems I had was that the trigger would not hold adjustments for more than a few months. I recently bought the upgraded trigger that Walther is now making. Adjustments are now much harder to move and should hold much longer than before. The new trigger has a silver colored housing, while the origional trigger is completely black.

The only other problem I had was one compressed air cylinder developed a leak and would not hold air. The distributer exchanged cylinders at no cost to me. Otherwise this AP has been completely reliable.

Top AP shooters like the Steyr or Morini better, mainly because of the feel of the trigger. But both are priced much higher than $875 and new AP are going up in price, so $875 is not too bad.
Neil Foster

LP 300

Post by Neil Foster »

The new style trigger came out some time in 2003. So if you can find out when the Walther was originally purchased new it will give you a clue as to which trigger it has. The other option of course is to pull the trigger (a simple job) and see the color of the housing. The distributor quotes a price of $180. for the new trigger. The Walther is a nice piece of equipment, and you should enjoy it.
NRF
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

One additional point for your consideration...

The LP300 design allows the grip angle to be adjusted in several different axes, which is a very desireable trait. But since the grip is mounted on what equates to a gimbal, the actual grip angle cannot be firmly indexed or "locked in" as it can be with pistols like the Steyr. Every time you remove the grip you will have to reset the grip angle. If you are fitting the grip to your hand (which entails removing it many times in order to make adjustments) you will very quickly become frustrated with the grip mounting system.

The only workaround I've been able to think of to solve this particular problem is to make measuring shims. Once you have the desired grip angle, make a shim to fit exactly between the left, right or both sides of the pistol and the grip, and between the bottom of the pistol and the grip. The next time you are re-installing the grip you can use these measuring shims to ensure you have installed the grip in the same position as before.

Good luck with your AP. The Walther is a very nicely balanced pistol and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.