Book. "Way of the Rifle"

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dan Hankins

Book. "Way of the Rifle"

Post by Dan Hankins »

I asked for and received the book "Way of the Rifle"

I had thought that i knew a thing or tow about rifle shooting. And, while it is ture that some of the "ways" that I had learned were confirmed.

My 10 m rifle competition shooting has been limited to the High Noon Air rifle REQ 30 class. I like the concept of shooting without all that gear, and it is convienient.

My approach to learning has been to read, then apply what I can, and then go back and read again and try to add what i read or correct any misconceptions that i may have picked up reading. I was able to arrange a short session with the Southwest Missouri University shooting coach. At that time I was concerned with hold and there was no shooting or dry firing involved. I learded a good deal in the short period.

BUT, I am really dumb now. Now that I have seen the book Way of the Rifle. I find that I don't know squat. But, I am pleased that there is a book that is so through. There is often a statemnt that some of the suggestions will not work for all types of bodies. Very good information on fitting the rifle to the shooter. And Finally the admission that all people cannot rest their elbow on their hip bone. And still hold a rifle, and/or remain standing on two feet. I knew this, because after repeatedly hearing that this is the way it is done, I figgured that there was surely something wrong with my physical construction. And while my body is FAR from perfect, I do have ribs that I can feel and that i use to rest the elbow on.

Well, I now have some good information, complete with pictures, skeleton and muscular drawings, and written in language that I can understand.

While I still conside it a good day when I can break 200/300 in Air Rrifle REQ-30, I have hope that I may get better, and a source of information that surely will teach me something.

Special thanks to Greggor for continuing the High Noon Competition. Before anyone notes that i missed a few of these matches, please note that I have medical bills to prove that I was not up to standards for a few months the end of last summer and in the early fall. I know, a death certificate is the only REAL excuse for missing a High Noon Match, but I came close enough to that to excuse much of my lack of submitting scores. I, know, excuses, excuses, excuses. I'll be back.

Some of you duffers need to try this Air Rifle REQ 30 competition. I have held a low score so you do not have to worry about being too far down on the list.

I remain

Respectfully,
Dan Hankins
Soon to be enlightened

Post by Guest »

Dan, What is REQ 30 and what does it take to get started? I too recieved the Ways of The Rifle as a Christmas gift and it's a great referance. I'm just getting started and have the same issues with placing my elbow anywhere near my hip even without the gun! any pointers would be helpful.
Dan Hankins

Air Rifle REQ 30

Post by Dan Hankins »

The Air Rifle REQ 30 is a classification on the High Noon Competition. You shoot with a 10 m rifle. you do not wear any shooting specific clothing. The course of fire is 30 shots, and all other rules for 10 m rifle apply. You may use a shooting glove on the fore arm support hand.

Shoot in street shoes, pants, and a t-shirt. The T shirt will help keep chest hair off of the rifle and ultimately out of the rifle's action.

I am too ignorant of computer stuff to provide a clickable link, but, if you go to the Shooter's Lounge on this site, you will find post regardingt the High Noon Competition. Greggor keeps it simple and fun.

This is a wonderful opportunity for folks that own 10 m rifles of any type or vintage to shoot without all the trappings and gear that it takes to shoot in international, sanctioned competition.

I shoot at various times with a Chinese version of an FWB 300, an RWS 75 SU To1, and an FWB P-70. There are some folks from Poland shoting the older Hanel rifles. Once in a while someone shoots a Hammerili. May be all kinds of rifles. The lack of supportive clothing somewhat levels out the playing field. The better shooters still do better, but competitions form at all levels. I have fought it out with a lot of folks that shoot around 200/300, and had a great time doing it. In fact, I consider it a good day when I score 200 of 300. Most of the time it is lower.

But now that I have "the book" (Way of the Rifle) and have got used to the picture of the topless girl, and am into the meat of the matter, I expect my scores to improve.

Please join us or be labled as a wimp for the rest of your natural life. ;.) that is a joke son, just a joke. Kind of.

Respectfully,
Bubba AKA Dan Hankins

Ps: In the old days, when was learning to race a motorcycle on dirt, my mentor toldd me that there are only two places people remember. First and last, I am not remembered for first in Air Rifle REQ 30.
deepakm

From where you got the book? Way of the Rifle

Post by deepakm »

Hi..
I am dk from india. I have started Rifle shooting few months back. can you please tell me from where you people got the book. Or is there any other good book for starters?
please let me know.
my email id is maildkm@rediffmail.com

regards
DK
Dan Hankins

Always check with out host Pilkington Competition

Post by Dan Hankins »

DK,
As always check with out host Pilkington Competition. He has had the book and may still have them for sale.

I got mine from a family menber who is fairly knowledgeable about the web. I expect that they did a google search for "Way of the Rifle" and proceeded from there. Most times I have to provide the source of anything shooting related. The person that I got the book from is quite independent, and I was not asked for a source or even an author.

As to other books that might be useful, I just don't know. There is a wealth of information on the internet. Pilkington's site has a link to some tips and instruction.

Respectfully,
Dan hankins
Robert Burdge

Post by Robert Burdge »

Dan,

I just received this book and have looked through it breifly. I am anxious to read it thoroughly. It appears to have an incredible amount of technical information that can be put to practical use.

The title is actually the "Ways of the Rifle". This is a subtle but important point. The authors explain that during the writing of the book they realized that there are many different techniques that work for different people. There are core principles that are nearly absolute, but the implementation of this principles depends on individual body size and shape, and to some extent the shooter's personality. The goal of the book is to help each competitor discover what works best for them.

If the book is a good as it appears to be on first inspection, it should be standard reading for all Rifleman (Riflepersons?).
Robert Burdge

Post by Robert Burdge »

I finished reading (at least for the FIRST time) the section of this book dealing with prone shooting. It was better than I had hoped. Lots of practical guidance for improvement.

One area that has always puzzled me was muzzle jump. I new that lots of it was generally bad, and that variation in direction was also bad. After reading the discussion about it, I have a better appreciation for why it is a great barometer of how good your position is (or isn't). And why consistency in resistance to the rifle's recoil is so important.

I have read many times about the effect of muzzle jump on bullet impact, but it finally sunk in while reading this book. I had always assumed that it was something that was only manifested as the result of some error on the part of the shooter. Now I realize that it is always present and must be tightly regulated. At the moment just before the shot, when the sights are as aligned as the shooter can get them, the point of impact of bullet, as dictated by the muzzle direction, will be below the point of aim (hopefully directly below). Only after the bullet starts to move down the barrel and recoil causes the muzzle to rise, will the eventual point of impact coincide with the point of aim (hopefully).

It is apparent to me now that while a still hold and accurate alignment of the sights are required, changes in the resistance provided by the shooter's body to the gun's recoil can easily undo all the rest. I used to think in terms of "holding the rifle on the target", as if the rifle's pre-shot position where the magic point. Now I am thinking more in terms of "letting the rifle find the target, consistently". I don't intend to consciously allow any greater muzzle jump. It's just that now I realize that it's not the initial conditions that determines the shot, but the initial conditions PLUS the recoil reaction.

I have previously concentrated on my "follow-through" after the shot, but this I thought, was merely to preclude unconscious changes in position from relaxing too soon, and inadvertantly pulling the muzzle off target. Now I see the follow-through as just the continuation of trying to maintain a consistent position during the entire shot.

I will be much more aware in the future of what this book calls "the inner position". The muzzle path during recoil, as recorded by the sight picture movement, and my body's reaction to the recoil will be items that I will attempt to make very consistent.

This is probably not news to most here, but for me it is nearly an epiphany.
Dan Hankins

Information overload

Post by Dan Hankins »

Robert,
From your post, I get the idea that you were able to assimilate and use a lot of the information regarding the prone position. That's great.

I skipped to the standing position information. Read it all. The next day I got out the old RWS 75 SU, and tried to apply all that I had read. Took me quite some time to set up for the first shot. Bad shot. Tried again several times with disapointing results. It was clear to me that this was not going to work, at least the way I was giong about it. I am kind of a beginner at this.

I went back to the way I was shooting, which did incorporate some of the instruction that was given in the book. The scores went back to the same as before.

It then ocured to me that i needed to add and experiment with different techniques, or improvements one or two at a time. So, what I am doing is picking an area that I think I can incorporate, and working with that. I shoot, then go back and re read. Often this will make clear to me the thought, and results to be expected when the instruction is followed. It will also gvie me the opportunity to see if I did it right.

So, I read and re read and shoot. I am seeing a SLOW improvement in my shooting, but, I am a hard headed person and sometimes a slow learner, so this is not a problem. Slow progress that stays with you is, to me a good thing. And if I live long enough, I will surely be a better shot.

Respectfully,
Bubba
R.E. Smalley

ways of the rifle...etc

Post by R.E. Smalley »

Hi;

If you have a VCR, try video taping a segment of your shooting session so that you can critique your own form or discuss the tape with a knowledgeable coach while you view yourself.

Ed
Jeremy

Asked my library to buy the book-They did

Post by Jeremy »

I have asked my library to buy various gun books including those on competition shooting. They did so and are available to all users of the library.