Hello All...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
NCIT

Hello All...

Post by NCIT »

I am new to this forum and was wanting some info about the hammerli 480. A friend of mine has one basically new in the box that I have decided to get from him as soon as I can get to where he lives.

What do you all think of this pistol as a training aid for Conventional pistol and just for improving my overall pistol skills? I have heard many good things about it, but have only found very little writing about it on pilkguns and a few other sites.

I do notice that none of the "major" competitors are using it. Although Ruby Foxx apparently used one quite a bit.

Thanks in advance...
Chris

Post by Chris »

You can start by searching this fourm for past posts about it.
jim in SC

Post by jim in SC »

You could always ask Larry Carter at www.larrysguns.com
He's the Hammerli authority in the USA and is very knowledgeable and honest about the qualities of the various models.
I would phone him rather than email. He is pretty busy right now but I'm sure will be very helpful.
Jay V

Re: Hello All...

Post by Jay V »

NCIT wrote:I am new to this forum and was wanting some info about the hammerli 480. A friend of mine has one basically new in the box that I have decided to get from him as soon as I can get to where he lives.

What do you all think of this pistol as a training aid for Conventional pistol and just for improving my overall pistol skills? I have heard many good things about it, but have only found very little writing about it on pilkguns and a few other sites.

I do notice that none of the "major" competitors are using it. Although Ruby Foxx apparently used one quite a bit.

Thanks in advance...
A friend of mine has one, but has had some problems with it. One of the biggest issues with the 480 (not the 480 K2) is the lack of a removable cylinder. Filling is a bit more trouble, but the real problem comes if it begins to leak. The gun then needs to be sent to the factory in Europe to be converted to the newer-style removable cylinder (like the Ks). The cost was about $350 if I recall correctly. The gun is decent, but adding $350 to the cost makes it way overpriced for what it is - 1st generation compressed air. Depending on your cost, there are better used guns out there.

Just as a guess, it may be worth $500 if it is working correctly, but not much more. Check for used prices before you buy.

Jay V
IL
Walter

Post by Walter »

Later versions that do not have the low pressure pin in front of the trigger are less prone to leakage.
I bought one in 94 and it started leaking and needed converting about 8 years later.
You can fill it with either c02 or air.
If you prefer a heavier gun like an old Feinwerkbau, it is preferable.
There is much more movement of the gun after the tank conversion because of the difference in weight.