New pistol??

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gryphon

New pistol??

Post by Gryphon »

I've just returned to target shooting after a 20 year laspe. I am shooting 10M with an IZH-46M at about 83-86%. I like the trigger, the balance and I have fitted the grip to my hand. The IZH seems to jump around when it fires. Some times left but mostly up, if it was consistant I could work with it. I can really torque down on my grip to reduce the movement, but that tends to initiates other errors that are not repeatable. Is it a mechanical problem? Is it my grip? Would a better pistol would improve my scores?
lucky

new gun

Post by lucky »

I shoot a izh46m 95% had slight same problem i use a 25 or 35 gm auto
flat wheel weight self sticking attach behind front sight on top of barrel works great for me try it have fun
R.E. Smalley

new gun and new shooter

Post by R.E. Smalley »

I just started bullseye shooting, and i have a 46M.

Aside from practice, practice, practice I have started cutting the grips to fit my hand. This seems to help me hold better without having to resort to a "gorilla grip". I was squeezing the gun so hard that the tendons on the top of my hand were getting inflamed.

Since I started removing wood I can hold with less effort, the hand feels more relaxed, and I don't jerk the shots as much.

I am not sure what is legal in ISSF yet (I'll worry about that more when I find a place to shoot ISSF) but for AP metallic silhouette I put a counter weight on the grip to take a small amount of the muzzle weight off. This may be counter to everyone else but I was really squeezing too hard to hold the muzzle up.

I drilled and tapped the rear of the palm shelf for 1/4 inch (6mm) and attached a 6 inch long carriage bolt with weight on it. For weight I use a 1/2 inch concrete anchor sandwiched between 2 nuts and 2 washers - it only cost 1.30 dollars US and it is adjustable and easily removable. (You have to drill and tap the hole at an angle so that the bolt doesn't touch your extended arm. The gun seems to hang in my hand better and require less effort to stabilize.

I did this as much to experiment with the effect of a different balance point as for any other reason. I notice that I was jerking the trigger more with this gun than my IZH 35M. I also notice that AP is much more sensitive to trigger technique than powder burners. I like the challenge!

Ed
GeorgeS

Keep adjunsting and practice

Post by GeorgeS »

Dear Friend,

I have a 46M and I have discover that this problem is common in people starting to shooting with the IZH-46M. The pistol can shoot very high scores so try to focus on yourself. Its common to feel frustration and try to look for a magical solution. I am almost sure that your problem is the grip and maybe your trigger finger. I suggest to see if your little finger has support on it (if it rest at the bottom of the grip), because if there is no space between the bottom of the grip and the little finger this can help the gun for not to jump. Also try different positions of your finger over the trigger....

And keep the hard practice.....
Gryphon

Thanks

Post by Gryphon »

Thanks for all your help. It's about what I expected, no "magic bullet" fix, just get back to basics. Stance,grip, wrist, sights, breathing, trigger control and follow through. Damn, I thought I was gonna be able to justify an Anschutz LP@! ;)
GeorgeS

Thats

Post by GeorgeS »

Thats the attitude my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....keep shooting and working on the basics....
David Levene

Re: Thats

Post by David Levene »

GeorgeS wrote:Thats the attitude my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....keep shooting and working on the basics....
....but I think you need a new pistol. I hope that is enough justification for you as I get the feeling that you REALLY want to spend some money. Just remember, spending is what money was invented for ;-)
Kelly

Re: Thanks

Post by Kelly »

I think you should go for Lp and sell me the 46M for 1/2 what you paid for it ;~) After all you deserve the best!
Gryphon wrote:Thanks for all your help. It's about what I expected, no "magic bullet" fix, just get back to basics. Stance,grip, wrist, sights, breathing, trigger control and follow through. Damn, I thought I was gonna be able to justify an Anschutz LP@! ;)