red dot on AW93?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dmburnett

red dot on AW93?

Post by dmburnett »

Is it possible/practical to mount a red dot sight (Ultradot) on the FWB AW93?
Fabian

Red Dot Sights on FWB

Post by Fabian »

I know that you can install the docter sight on it. Dont' know about the tubular sights.
jackh

A good pistolsmith can do it

Post by jackh »

My local pistolsmith of national notariety, has mounted a Brownells 22 rail from the front sight ramp to the chamber area. It takes milling necessary flats. Then using Leupold 22 rings the 1" Ultradot sits perfectly.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Jack, Can you provide more detail about the scope mount?

Can the gun be returned to regular open sights? Did he mill off the front sight mount and the top of the metal around the chamber?

Thanks,
Steve
Walter

Post by Walter »

If you absolutely must have an Ultradot...

http://www.bme-mounts.com/products.html

Removing the sights (or putting them back) on the gun is not for the squeemish.
Have a gunsmith do it if you don't have a vise and a means to make sure you don't lose the bits or mar the finish.
Anything other than the not very ideal Docter sight must be removed when taking the pistol down.
dmburnett

Post by dmburnett »

Although I have not seen the Dockter sight, my understanding is that there is no brightness control, just on/off, and therefore it may not work well outdoors on a bright day. I'm 57, and open sights are not great even with some added correction in the right eye. I'm concerned about upsetting the balance of the gun with a sight, but it sure makes it easier to see.
Walter

Post by Walter »

the Docter has an automatic brightness adjustment.

It gets very bright in outdoor sunlight, as well as dims down in darker ranges.

I only removed mine because I wanted to concentrate on iron sights. It worked great and did not change the balance at all.
The only real annoyances were what you mentioned; that the dot is not manually adjustable.
The front needs to be cleaned once in a while whenever you find yourself looking at specks on the glass, but this does not happen all too often.

There is no click adjustments either, just the turning of screws and locking them down with set screws.
The sight however does not change much at all from 50ft to 50yds., and I would guess it's because it sits so low to the barrel.
dmburnett

Post by dmburnett »

Thanks for the explanation. If I ever find an AW at a reasonable price, I'll consider it. It might be interesting to try iron sights again though.
jackh

Post by jackh »

SteveT wrote:Jack, Can you provide more detail about the scope mount?

Can the gun be returned to regular open sights? Did he mill off the front sight mount and the top of the metal around the chamber?

Thanks,
Steve

A flat was milled on the ramp section of the front sight to match the level of the over chamber area. With the Leupold rings loosed, the open sights were totally usable over the screwed down rib.
I fired this gun with open sights over the rib. Worked great. If it weren't for that bent handle (grip :) I would have bought it. Instead I got a 208s. Jack