Deaflympics

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alex L

Deaflympics

Post by Alex L »

Here is where you can get the results of the competition now being held here in Melbourne, Australia.

www.deafnation.com/deaflympics/results.asp

You will reach a page with all the sports named. Just choose shooting and you will find all the results.
The Rifle and Pistol events were held in Melbourne at the rebuilt range. This is the range that will be used in 2006 for the Commonwealth Games.

I am told that as there is no International Signing Language, the Australian body brought out a Common Language for the event.

Lights were used for the commands and were complemented with writing.
I believe there were 16 countries competing in various sports.
The results, I am told, were well displayed for the competitors and visitors.
I was surprised to see there were no English or US shooters. However, the Chinese and Koreans had the best results. there was also a new world record.

Alex L.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

But hang on, if you're deaf, you just shoot in normal ISSF competitions anyway, you just let the ROs know ahead of time that you're deaf and they take care of it (an RO taps you on the shoulder in the event of a cease-fire or whatever). Was this supposed to be an alternative to the Olympics or just another competition only for deaf people?
Alex L

Deaflympics

Post by Alex L »

This was a special International Competition, based on the Olympics, but just for the Deaf sportspeople.
They are specially classified by their level of hearing impairment.

Shooting was one of many sporting events held over the 10 days of competition.

By the way,- a clarification - the English and Americans participated in other sports, but were not entered in shooting.

Ireland participated and won 11 medals, but I do not know in what sports.
You may be able to find out if you go to the site I mentioned.
Alex L.