Anschutz 1413, Super Match 54 good for a newbie???

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Anschutz 1413, Super Match 54 good for a newbie???

Post by Guest »

Hello, First Post. Brief history, I've been shooting handguns for several years now, mostly IDPA and IPSC here in California. I'd like to try my hand at Olympic style rifle shooting. I found a used 1413 at a dealer on consignment. What is a fair price for this rifle? The action is very smooth, looks very clean, had a few marks and dings on the stock otherwise, it looks good. Also, is this a good rifle to start out with?

Any help is appreciated. Also, any place in Northern California that supports this style of competition?

Thank you,

John
Dean Peterson

Post by Dean Peterson »

What part of N Cal do you live in?

If you live in or around the SF Bay Area please give me a call.

Dean

408-972-8537, please call before 9 PM.

Thanks
rbs

anschutz

Post by rbs »

I have a 1613 that I would be interested in selling, it is a complete gun.
Email me if you are interested, I can send pictures.
johnencinas

Post by johnencinas »

Dean... I am in Fairfield, CA... (halfway between SF and Sacramento). I would give you a call but, I am currently at work monitoring the state's network health throughout this storm so, email would be my only way of personal communication, you can email me at john@johnencinas.com.

rbs... Before I can say that I am interested in your 1613, I need to know if this is the correct type of rifle for the activities I would like to particpate in. I am very interested in olympic style shooting... 3P to be exact. If available, please email me pics and your asking price to the email above. Also, where are you located.

I have competed in action handgun shooting (IDPA and IPSC) for over 10 years. As much fun as that is, I'd like to try something different. This will also be my first rifle of any kind that I will purchase myself but, I have shot several centerfire and rimfire rifles before.

One other concern is WHERE to shoot. I've read online places like Chabot in Castro Valley and I've seen "Olympic" style rifles at Richmond Rod and Gun and at Sacramento Valley Shooting Center but, yet to see or read about an organized competition.

Also, I was watching Shooting USA last night on OLN and they had a feature on Smallbore Silouette shooting. That too interested me.

Anyways, Thank you for the responses, I apologize for be long winded.

John
TWP

Post by TWP »

The 1413 was the premier 3P smallbore rifle in the 1960's.

It was replaced by the 1613 in the 70's, then the 1813. Current models are 1913 and 2013.

So to answer your question yes the 1413 will work for 3P. FWIW my daughter uses a 1607 (lighter barrel) in a 1613 stock for 3P small bore.

It is a large heavy rifle (IIRC close to 15 lbs). Since you have been shooting IPSC for 10 years I'm assuming you are an adult.

As to a fair price I've seen 1413's from about $850 on up depending upon condition and what accessories it has.
johnencinas

Post by johnencinas »

TWP... Thank you for the reply. The ballpark price is very helpful, I actually offered the gentleman $800 for the rifle. He is thinking about it.

So far, the 1413 sure sounds like the right started rifle for me... Yes, I am an adult (sometimes).

Thank you,

John

Post by Guest »

Best if you would have a coach, or experienced shooter in a club setting to guide you thru the process of all the adjustments on a free rifle.
John Encinas

Post by John Encinas »

Anonymous wrote:Best if you would have a coach, or experienced shooter in a club setting to guide you thru the process of all the adjustments on a free rifle.
I agree that I will need a coach... eventually. First things first... I need a free rifle, the 1413 I mentioned above seems to be a good fit for me as a beginner. I don't need to shell out too much money to get started and if it doesn't suit me down the road, I can sell it. If I lose money on it, well I guess that was the price for admission to the sport. I am willing to pay higher for an 1913 or 2013 but, without much experience in the sport, I am undecided. Should I take the route of buying a used 1413 that is probably 40+ years old and try out the sport or go ahead and invest in a more modern rifle and pay 3x more (but, will encourage me to train since I spent so much $$$)

Then I need to find a club. I received an email this morning from a gentleman who runs a Junior HS club that competes in different parts of the state. I replied asking if I can participate even though I am no longer in high school... I actually graduated college a few years back.

There isn't a question whether I want to get into the sport. I WANT to do it. But, the problem is finding the answers to my many questions.

Thank you to all that have responded so far, I look forward to more ideas.

Thank you,

John
TWP

Post by TWP »

John,

My personal opinion is that if you can handle the 1413's weight it would be fine for a starter gun. $800 sounds like a decent price for it.

I see no reason to shell out 3X-4X the price of the 1413 on a new rifle just to see if you like a sport. (unless you are one of those fortunate few to whom money is no object)

Besides the rifle you'll need a shooting jacket, glove, sling, kneeling role, prone mat, spotting scope, scope stand, and rifle rest with ammo block to get started. As you improve you will also need to get shooting pants and shoes.

The 1413 will take you a long ways before you can shoot better than it can.
John Encinas

Post by John Encinas »

UPDATE: I offered the gentleman $800 for the 1413 last week. His original asking price was $1200. He rejected my offer and now is asking for $1000 OTD. I am not sure if this is a fair price or not. I have attached pictures of the 1413 below. The pictures show the accessories it comes with including another stock. Can someone tell me what that stock is for? If I wanted to, can I use the other stock for smallbore silhouette? After seeing these images, is $1000 a fair price?

Thank you,

John

Post by Guest »

Hello there.

The second stock is a prone 1411 stock. Its basically a stock for people who only wanted to shoot prone, and didn't want or need (or in some cases weren't allowed to use) the thumbhole stock. many people still use the prone stock, however you can get a better fit from the thumbhole even in prone. A prone stock is not suitable for standing shooting, its a bit too long and too straight.

From the look of the thumbhole stock its a '60s model. To check further look at the bolt, if it has only one extractor/ejector claw it was made prior to '63. if two then afterwards. If it does have two claws look on the barrel. On the left hand side, just ahead of the receiver there should be three small squiggles. These are the proof marks; one is an eagle for W Germany, another an antler for Ulm (where Anschutz have their factory) and the third mark is two numbers which are the year its was prooved.

Anschutz rifles of this vintage can still shoot very well with suitable ammunition. They were very well built, and the 14 series is quite simple, so it should do very well for a beginner. You can over time upgrade parts if you wish. Anschutz offer sights, butt-plates, triggers and other bits that will fit this rifle. However I would make these suggestions if you buy it:

Discard the sling; leather slings will stretch and sag with time and not give the correct support. They don't cost much new compared to $1000 for a rifle so buy a new one.

Be careful over the cheekpiece. On this model it is not adjustable (although you can fit the adjustable mechanism) and you may find it a little low.

Do follow the advice already given and get someone experience to set you up. You will still need a sling, glove and jacket to get the best performance from this rifle.

If you do buy the rifle good luck with it, and I hope this post helps.

Tim S

Exeter UK

Anschutz 1413

Post by Guest »

This setup is worth $1000. The sights are worth a good $100-$150. Prone stock is worth around $100-$150. How much ammo is there? Eley Tenex is $700+/5000 rds. Does it have an Anschutz trigger, or an aftermarket? If it is a Kenyon trigger, (although I don't think so) snap this thing up. The trigger would be worth at least $500. (highly coveted by prone shooters) That ammo box is about $50 new. Glove $35 new. Case is worth a few bucks. So this stuff adds up. Much easier to buy in a package like this. Do what you can to get the price down, but don't be afraid to pay the $1000. Just look the rifle over, mainly the barrel, for obvious damage. Check the muzzle for crown damage. I shot a 1813 bought new in 1985, for about 7 years, and have about 150,000+ rounds through it, with no noticable wear. It's basically the same gun, but with a stock with more adjustments. I know my stock gun shoots, as I set 8 national records with it. So don't underestimate this gun just because it is 40 years old. Take care of this gun, and you will sell it for what you paid for it. It only gets more valuable relative to the continuing increase in new guns. There will always be a market for this gun for beginners like you that can't or don't want to afford $3000 to start with new equipment.
PaulB

Old Anschutz

Post by PaulB »

Many Anschutz of this vintage were just called "Match 54", not 1413. The trigger is a "two-stage" Anschutz, which is an upgrade from the "set" trigger that would have probably come with this gun. Highly suggest having an adjustable cheek piece modification installed, and getting an adjustable iris (like a Gehmann 510) for the rear sight. The value of the gun is a direct function of how much it has been shot and how well it has been taken care of (i.e. regular and proper cleaning). Another issue is how much of some types of old ammo has been used in it, which can lead to a particular form of barrel errosion just inside of the breach end of the barrel. If this is "too bad" you might need to have the barrel "set back" to remove the bad section or have a new barrel installed. And, as in the purchase of all used target rifles, perform a good check of the crown with a good magnifier. Any "dings" or rust might mean the gun needs recrowning.

Post by Guest »

If you wanted an adjustable cheekpiece after buying this rifle you could take the adjustment parts from the prone stock pictured with the rifle and have a gunsmith fit them to the thumbhole stock.

Tim S

Exeter UK
NetNinja

First Post here

Post by NetNinja »

I got lucky when I bought my Anschutz 1813 Super Match.
This one was made in 1982 and was at an all boys school somewhere in Atlanta. Probably some Liberal head master decided they didn't want firearms at the school anymore.
It came with the sights, Palm Rest and leather Sling.

I call her Preciouss. You should see the looks I get when I bring it to the range. Just about everybody stops shooting when I send out the target to 50ft and the bullseye is as big as dime. I am not that proficient yet but I can keyhole 4 of the 10 shots I place on every 50ft target.