Pellet Uniformer?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
AnonJohn

Pellet Uniformer?

Post by AnonJohn »

Okay, I picked up a Nygord pellet uniformer from another AP shooter the other day. Is there really such a thing or did I get taken?

Either way, being an Engineer, it was a gadget I had to have. Drop a pellet in one end of a tube, push it through the choke point with a ram, and viola, a uniformed pellet. Don't know if it does a damn thing or not. But I'll play with it.

If you've heard of this thing, what are the opinions on what it does?

John
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

Been There, Done That.
Trust me, spend your time training, you'll get better results.

R.M.
Chris

Post by Chris »

RM is correct. Do not waste your time.

I took one and ran a buch of pelets throught it while I was testing lots of pellets one day and did not notice a differance in group size. Of course this could mean it did not help for my Pistol.

Regardless I would still not waste your time.
Spencer C

Re: Pellet Uniformer?

Post by Spencer C »

AnonJohn wrote:Okay, I picked up a Nygord pellet uniformer from another AP shooter the other day. Is there really such a thing or did I get taken?

Either way, being an Engineer, it was a gadget I had to have. Drop a pellet in one end of a tube, push it through the choke point with a ram, and viola, a uniformed pellet. Don't know if it does a damn thing or not. But I'll play with it.

If you've heard of this thing, what are the opinions on what it does?

John
Most air pistols shooters would have a sizer somewhere at the bottom of a box of accumulated shootenstuff.

S
AnonJohn

Thanks

Post by AnonJohn »

That's about what I thought too. I've got a top of the line AP and am shooting good pellets. I know I've got a lot more training ahead of me. I'll play with this sizer for awhile tho. Leastwise, when I get to be a good shooter, I'll have this in the bottom of my kit already...

John
Fred Mannis

Pellet Sizer

Post by Fred Mannis »

I've seen these selling for $80 +/- on Ebay. If you can buy one cheaply enough, it's an easy way to make a few dollars.

I have one on my loading bench also. Bought it from Beeman over 20 years ago. :-0

fred[/img]
eugenegazda

Post by eugenegazda »

I have one and used it for a while. Then one night after a match I thought I'd find out what would happen if I shot five horribly deformed (squashed skirts) Nygord pellets through by Pardini K58. Match was finished, no pressure, so I just sort of casually shot them. Result was four tens and a nine+.
I decided that my K58 was sizing the pellets just fine as I chambered them.
If anybody wants to buy a used pellet sizer drop me a line.
Gene
Fred

Nygord sizer

Post by Fred »

Don Nygord was as honest about this item as he was about everything else. As he wrote (quite a while ago and I don't remember where), he developed his sizer to deal with surface oxidation on pellets. The old alloys used in pellet manufacture tended to form a whitish oxide on the surface, and Don's testing indicated that the oxide affected accuracy negatively. His sizer simply stripped the oxide off the pellet where it contacted the bore, and allowed it to perform as intended. Don then pointed out that the pellet makers had changed to alloys that did not oxidize, and therefore his pellet sizer was no longer necessary. Although he continued to sell the item because people asked for it, he would tell you that it served no purpose.

Fred
Fred

Nygord sizer - P.S.

Post by Fred »

Forgot to mention that Don would specifically point out that sizing of (non-oxidized) pellets did not improve accuracy, despite claims by certain airgun dealers.

Fred