Let's have a contest

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pilkguns
Site Admin

Let's have a contest

Post by pilkguns »

Okay Target Talkas

lets have a contest. Who can write the funniest story about pellet tin usage. The Winner will recieve an additional 5 tins of pellets, complete with 2500 pieces of sailboat fuel driven projectiles made by a company in Germany whose name means bird.
Dan Hankins

Picture caption?

Post by Dan Hankins »

After selecting the proper accessories, and having my arm broken at the elbow to get the right position. getting the shooting glasses adjusted and careful pellet testing I just know I am ready for the Floating Duck Worlds.

OK, may be that Warren said to glue the pellet tin to the outside of the athletic supporter.

Respectfully,
Bubba
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Ok punk, I know what your thinking . . . did she fire one shot out of her Morini or one out of her Steyr LP50 ?

To be honest with you, in all this excitement, I kinda lost track myself. Well, are you feeling lucky punk??
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

How 'bout this...
We can send all our tin lids, the Vogels anyway, to Scott.
He can take a picture of Buck, Mr & Mrs Potter, himself, Rhonda and family. Make many copies. Cut them out in a circular pattern that will fit the inside of the lid. Punch a hole in the lid for a string. Send them out to all his customers and friends as Christmas greetings that can then be hung on the tree as an ornament!
Yep...
Thought of that one all by myself!
:-)
JLK
Bill177

'N Granbpa said....

Post by Bill177 »

"Yep, sure do liken those little tin cans you had down on your desk," remarked my grandpa one evening after he had come for his Holiday visit.

Interested, I asked him, "Which little tin cans are you talking about?"

He replied, "Oh, them little ones I dumped out and put my pills in."

Aghast, "What ones? Where were they? They were full!"

He calmly replied, "Don't you worry now, just the ones with them lil' fishline sinker lead things in 'em." He continued, "Figured since you don't fish and them cans said LEAD on the label - they weren't worth keepin 'round." He finished by proudly telling me, "So I dumped all them cans of sinkers in the trash compactor and washed out the cans so in I could keep my pills in 'em. Sure are right handy with them little push on lids - jus' keeps my pills all sorted and dry. Pocket size too."

I love my grandpa, but I am sure glad he only visits once a year. You should have seen what he did to my peep sights last year.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

okay, looks like we're getting some good submissions. come on everyone else, lets see some input from ya'll
Don90250

Post by Don90250 »

For the seasonal category, I'm going to build a large menorah. Fill each tin with oil and use floating candles. FWIW, traditional candles work great in the menorah our daughter made from one .357 magnum shell and the rest .38 specials.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

It all started, as these things always seem to, on a lazy Sunday afternoon. The outdoor season was winding down and the winter league would not start for another month. The idea came to me as I was recycling my third beer of the day. Looking down into the bowl, hmmmm, that looks like it is just the size of a… As I cracked open my fourth, I said “Hey Bubba, you know what I just noticed?”

Five minutes later, we had our proof. Not only did the tin just fit, but it just barely went around the bend and out of sight, wedging in place and nearly sealing the hole. Two hours of cursing and fuming later, we had it back out and could stop running around the back of the house, just out of sight of the kitchen and the wife.

At this point, we should have stopped, content with our expanded knowledge and moved on to other pursuits, but Bubba and I just never seem to know when to stop. It was Bubba who said, as we were struggling to remove the thing “Hey, you know what would be funny…”

Bubba pulled the car to a stop, as I rested the LP-10 on the window. The distance was more than 10M, but should still be within range. I snatched the trigger on the first shot, pulling it low and left, “Damn!” I calmed my mind, took two deep breaths and visualized the perfect shot. The sights aligned and squeeeeeeeeeze the trigger. The light over the door went out.

Bubba’s pretty good with the lock pick and we were through it quickly, not stopping to look at the sign on the door that said Violence Policy Center. It only took a few minutes to locate the two bathrooms and get back to the car. We split up and I went home and fell asleep, not waking up, until the knocking on the door the next morning.

And so Your Honor, we are very sorry about the ruined carpet and the nice lady’s skirt. We swear we will never do such a stupid thing again and we throw ourselves on the mercy of the court.

Respectfully submitted,
Name withheld by request.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

Walking around commercial row at Camp Perry one fine August day with German Salazar (webmaster of the florida shooting websites, and master of nearly every shooting discipline he undertakes), German was describing the culture of the American Red Neck, with his eye and ear for detail and ability to mimic speech and gestures, that was a VERY entertaining afternoon.

German described the embossed and tooled custom leather "holsters" some "Red Necks" wear to carry their tins of Copenhagen or Skoal. (a real redneck carries the tin in the back pocket of his blue jeans).

Seeing inventory on the tables of one vendor or another, I offered that such a holster would be a great carry case for one's pellet tins and he agreed.

Perhaps our used pellet tins could serve as metallic "wallets".

If you don't have a "skoal-holster", You could carry it in the back pocket of your blue jeans like a real redneck, they'd be great for loose change, keys, your CCW, what have you...

After carrying the pellet-tin wallet for some time, the distinctive whitish circle on the pocket of the jeans would appear,cConfirming to all who observe that the individual is a true redneck! (This may be particularly useful to junior team members, who are too young to possess tobacco products but live in regions where the mere appearance of carrying a can of copenhagen earns one "coolness" points.)

There might be a side effect...

The circular object in the pocket might be mistaken for something ELSE... as according to the joke, the young lady, on spring break from her new-england finishing school, decided to cancel her plans of meeting a REAL texas cowboy when she saw just how big the circular impressions on their back pockets were.

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Scott,
gee...
I didn't know R10 means bird in german...
Who'd have thunk it?
JLK
Walter

Post by Walter »

A Pilks,
Can you post the Michael Jackson version of that picture? It's too funny.
BobZ

Post by BobZ »

Lamar was known as the school practical joker in the junior college that he attended..Neither the faculty nor administrators understand how their actions would incite Lamar to action or the embarassing headlines that were to follow in the local press..

Lamar received the call to come to the dean's office..Believing that he was to receive a special commendation for his star perforance on the Hockey ice he went to the office with a broad smile on his face..The dean and his coach were waiting not with accolades but with a suspension from not only the team,but the school as well...Seems that that low down creep Tattle-tale Morton had shown the school authorities an air-pistol which Lamar had in his room...Immediate suspension for violating the school's "zero tolerance policy",But,but it's an Olympic air-pistol cried Lamar.."No exceptions to the rule" they said...

Lamar went home smoking mad..Then he plotted,and planned his revenge..He took a couple of tins of Vogel pellets (his preferred brand) and painted them a flat black,slipping into the scoll gym he placed his remade tins in among the hockey pucks to be used in the coming weeks state finals..Then he waited..

Tattle-tale Morton was at center ice for the big face-off..The refaree dropped the "puck", like lightning his Hockey stick came down on not a puck but the blackened tin of pellets which had been picked up in error..The pellets literally exploded across the ice to Lamars glee,skaters falling all over themselves,couches ducking, school officials howling. But then tragedy struck old Mrs. Wilson the beloved history teacher caught a pellet in the corner of her eye..

The following day the local paper carried this headline :

LOCAL TEACHER HIT IN EYE WITH AIR-GUN PELLET
Chris

Post by Chris »

This is a true story...

In 1995 I made the decision to switch from rife to pistol. I was frustrated with rifle and I had shot pistol in college for 2 partial years prior to graduating in 1992. After college I focused on rifle only. In 1995 my coach told me I should try pistol since it was not so deep in skilled people and I was good at it also. This decision came about 2 months before the National Championships in Chino. At this time I had an air pistol and decided to buy a Toz. I was able to train with my Toz for about 3 weeks before heading to Chino.

Chino did not go great but I was not expecting much. I was able to talk to many friends on the Pistol Team. After returning from Chino I purchased an LP-1. At Chino I also made the decision to shoot at the Fall selection match which happed to be in Washington State at the Custer range near the Canadian Border.

I shot Free next to Doc Young and did ok. Since I drove up to the match and was not expecting much I decided to shoot Air a day sooner on the last women's relay with a few other men then I could head home and save the cost of a hotel room. I had check out of my room that morning. As I was setting up I started to realize that I had forgot one very simple little round piece of tin holding my pellets. I did not have many options at this point but to beg someone for some pellets. I was able to get some pellets from one of the women shooting. So I shot and surprised myself by shooting a 572.

I was saying good buy to some of my friends and they said I should come back the next day because there was a good chance I would make the final. I laughed. After the match I drove to Seattle to stay with my cousin since and then I drove back the next day to see how things were progressing with the men's match. Sure enough I was in the Final in 7th place tied with Neil Caloia. Again I had to come up with some pellets so I could shoot the Final. Luckily I knew Neil so it was easy to get 20 pellets from him. This was the first time I shot in a final. My first shot had me shaking so much, after 3 attempts I ended up with an 8.3. ouch! glad that was over. After that my hold was normal and every thing went great I had several deep 10's including a 10.8 and 10.9. I ended up shooting a 100.0 and not moving any positions.
Jim Cruise

Post by Jim Cruise »

I went on the scrounge to find some carpet mats to put on the benches at the pistol club and with a bit of arm twisting a local carpet supplier donated a set of 10 matching sewn edged mats.

I placed them out for centre-fire on Sunday and as R/O watched what people weredoing in 'Preparation time'. One gentleman faithfully bought out his old pellet tin filled with camphor, lifted the lid and lit it with a match and proceeded to blacken his sights. That done, the camphor was blown out and the lid dropped on loosely. A minute or two into 'Sighting series, 5 minutes, Start' more smoke was seen from the tin - the shooter stopped firing lifted the lid and tried blow out the flames only to burn his fingers as it was not the camphor on fire but the carpet !

Holding the pistol pointed down range and using the non-shooting hand he attempted to push the offending tin off the carpet and put out the flames, but low and behold the heat had melted the carpet to the tin - screwdriver and bits on the bench went flying ! With the aid of a handkerchief the flames were extinguished, a minute or so to calm down and sighters completed in the last minute of time.

The shooter now says he takes care to place the pellet tin off the carpet onto the timber; but how come I've now got 6 mats with perfect circles of molten carpet ?
AnonJohn

Humor and Pellet Tins

Post by AnonJohn »

It was Thursday night, Air Pistol night at the Rod & Gun Club. I opened my Morini 162EI case at position number 3, and spilled pellets everywhere! The case, bench, and floor were covered. Naturally the snickers started immediately. What the h#&&! I thought the tool kit was rattling too loudly.

The real problem was that almost 500 pellets no longer had a tin holding them. Grrrr! Some one was in for severe physical pain. No one at the range owned up to a practical joke. So even though I was so mad I was trembling, I sucked it up, used the “clean” pellets that were still trapped in the case and shot the match.

And interestingly, pellets taken from a tin have a higher probability of scoring a 10 then those picked loosely from a AP case. I mean, what other reason could explain my low score? But the physics behind this theory would have to wait until later. Not to mention future experimentation with a pellet shaker box that is sure to result in deep 10s. For now, I’d figured out that my daughter must have taken my tin for some reason that would only make sense to a teenager.

Sweeping up and discarding 100s of unfired “dirty” pellets after the match, made my blood boil all over again. And do you think I could scrounge an empty tin? No way! Oh the others had plenty; they were at home stacked up in between studs in their garages. Empty tins are useless junk that only collect dust and take up space. But you can’t throw them away, you may need them for something someday.

As I pulled into the driveway, not even our twinkling Christmas lights lightened my mood. And I didn’t even care that my wife’s light display included a new Christmas tree stuck in the middle of the yard. I gingerly carried my AP case with its loose pellets inside and set it down on the bench in the garage. Then I looked over and noticed all my empty tins were gone! What the??

I went into the house to put my pistol in the safe. As I worked the combination I looked up on top to where I keep my sleeves of pellets. The large freezer bag full of lead nuggets sitting there now shocked me into a statue.

Like a locomotive working up a full head of steam, I started babbling, stuttering and finally roaring “Cynthia!!”. My wife came running in and asked me what was wrong. All the frustration, embarrassment and anger of this evening came pouring out of me. Then I sadly informed her of her child’s imminent demise as soon as I could find her. For the second time of the evening I was shocked into immobility when she told me it wasn’t Cynthia, but her. My wife had stolen all of my pellet tins, empty and full!

“Why!” I yelled finally. “Girl Scouts” she replied quietly. Yep you guessed it. The count was now 3 as I stood there with my mouth open, my eyes glazed over, and my brain completely short circuited and non-functional.

“Did you even notice the Christmas tree light in the front yard? That was our Girl Scout project I did with my troop. We all made Christmas trees. But I needed 10 pieces of round metal per tree for reflectors. I remembered you had all those empty tins in the garage that you didn’t know what to do with. They were perfect. I screwed the tops and bottoms onto a triangular piece of plywood. Then I drilled a hole in the middle of each. A small strand of indoor/outdoor Christmas lights is stapled to the back with a light poked through each tin. From a distance it looks like each light is a 2.5” Christmas ornament. The girls loved it. But you didn’t have enough empties, so I had to dump out a few of your full ones. I didn’t think you’d mind. Besides, you’ll get more.....”

So for now I’ve repackaged my freezer bag into an eclectic sleeve of tins borrowed from friends. I replaced the sheet of plywood that I finally realized I had also donated to the GSA. And my wife, well she has pre-ordered some empty tins for next Christmas!

Good shooting to one and all!
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

John....

did that REALLY HAPPEN?!?!?!?

I shoulda stayed a while longer! it would been fun to watch you open you Morini case!

Poole
AnonJohn

Don't believe everything you read Bill...

Post by AnonJohn »

Events, while based in reality, were heavily exaggerated in the spirit of humor. And the time scale was condensed into a single evening. But that Christmas tree project, now that was real.

John
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

John,
You know...
That is about the best use of the tins that I have heard.
I think I will try it this coming year.
Thanks!
JLK
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

hmmmm, speaking of lights in pellet tins, inside our shop, we have some incandescnet bulbs mounted directly over the sensors on the chronograph that we use for testing. We used pellet tins to act as heat diffuser and reflector of the wood shelf they are mounted under. And, ironically enought for this time of year, we cut up a set of Christmas tree lights, since the bulbs were just about the right size to fit in the tins.
Bill177

Real life

Post by Bill177 »

Several months ago I became ill and have not done a lot of shooting until the past couple of weeks. During the period I wasn't feeling well I did a load of cleaning out.

Translated, that means you go through everything you own and dispose of what you are not using currently, yesterday, or tomorrow. Among the items tossed was nearly 50 empty pellet tins. None were old or collectable - just empty tins.

All in all, I carried over 30 bags to the landfill of "stuff" to the dump. Everything form broken tools to unused appliances and furniture. Also all the clothing that doesn't quite fit any more (must have shrunk?).

And, for those wondering, no - I didn't save any pellet tins for Grandpa - too late for that.

Cleaning out is a good exercise - I recommend it to everyone.