air pistol trigger weight?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

air pistol trigger weight?

Post by Guest »

I am new to the sport and i have a question. What are the rules regarding trigger weight on an air pistol? I have heard 500g is the minumum. What about the stages on the trigger? is there different specs for first and second stage? And out of curiosity how do you or most shooters have them set?

thank you
Spencer C

Re: air pistol trigger weight?

Post by Spencer C »

Anonymous wrote:I am new to the sport and i have a question. What are the rules regarding trigger weight on an air pistol? I have heard 500g is the minumum. What about the stages on the trigger? is there different specs for first and second stage? And out of curiosity how do you or most shooters have them set?

thank you
500g to set the trigger off - the mix of first and second stage is immaterial. The pistol must discharge the propellant charge without a pellet (i.e. the dry-fire mechanism does not count).

A wise little shooter will set the trigger somewhere over 550g to avoid disqualification at a spot check. Those pesky little combination of springs. parts and lubrication will vary from time to time, and not many shooters can (REALLY) tell the difference between 500g and 550g.

S
RJP

Air Pistol trigger adjustments

Post by RJP »

As Spencer said above, total weight must be at least 500 grams. This is about the same weight as two full tins of 0.5 gram pellets. Depending on the adjustments available on your air pistol, most shooters adjust most of the weight onto the first stage of trigger pull, about 65 to 75 percent of the total weight required. This leaves about 125 to 150 grams on the second stage where the shot is released.

The thinking behind this is that the shooter will first take up the first stage trigger weight, then hold until the sights settle on the target, and finally continue to press the remaining 125 to 150 grams in the second trigger stage for a smooth shot release. Shooters who use this method describe the trigger as a crisp two stage trigger.

Another technique is where the shooter lets the sights settle on the target and then starts one smooth continous pull on the trigger until the shot is released. There is no felt point where the first and second stage meet. Shooters call this a one stage or rolling trigger. Again, most of the trigger weight is on the first stage.

Additionaly, some shooters adjust their triggers for a 50 percent weight balance between first and second stages. Trigger adjustment is a often discussed topic and the only thing I can recommend is use whatever works for you.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I think a lot of shooters now have a roughly 50:50 split and that is personally where I'd start. That is how I have my trigger set and IMO that is a good place to start for newbies. Having a deffinate 250g difference between 1st and second gives a very easy to find second stage and you can then get used to it without much risk of premature releases.

It does depend on your shooting routine, i.e. number of breaths, where you 'rest' etc but a 50:50 trigger weight split works for me. As the previous poster said its just what works best for you.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

as time progresses i recommend that you slowly adjust in such a way that secondary trigger becomes lighter. but not in the early stages of learning triggering techniques :)
scout18

Post by scout18 »

The first stage of my IZH46 trigger is so light that I wonder what it is like to shoot something else. The total is right at 510 grams. Now that being said I use the first stage to check my pull alignment. I have my pistol set up between trigger pull and hand position so that whenI squeeze down that first stage I watch my sight picture to make sure that I am not getting any lateral wobble. Then I finish and follow through the second stage.