Best standard/sport pistol for rapid fire

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Tycho - the MG-2 trigger system does exactly as described, so the CM102 isn't the only standard pistol in the world that functions like that. When I shoot my MG-2 I'm holding about 750 - 800 grams on the first stage and only have to apply another 200 - 250 grams on the second stage to make the shot break. After the shot I only release the 200 - 250 grams, then apply the 200 - 250 grams again to fire the next shot.

Believe me, it's a very nice trigger to shoot!
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I've tried it with good success in the 8 & 6 second strings but don't have enough data at 4 seconds to make a full evaluation. At the moment it appears to be positive for the faster string, but I'm also seeing some shot deviation in the 7-8 o'clock area which is indicative of either poor trigger technique or shot anticipation. Until I resolve which causal factor is at work I won't know for sure. Keep in mind that I'm relatively new to RF as a whole so all of my technique requires development. I'm kinda glad that I didn't get accustomed to shooting the .22Short pistols as I now don't have to "re-learn" skills but rather develop them from the ground up.
lajette

Post by lajette »

I have a steel CM22M and find the same as Mark but do know why the shots are in the 7-8 o'clock area in the 4 sec series. It is not the triggering but the recoil causing the shots to land there. I have found that with the recoil it is hard to stop the gun's movement from target to target and therefore the shot is released while the gun is still moving. The recoil causes the gun to to be moving accross and down when you get to the next target which if you are right handed means 7-8 o'clock hits. Of course this is only an issue on the 4 sec series.
Keep It In The Middle

Post by Keep It In The Middle »

With all due respect to David Moore, who is one of the best ISSF shooters in Oz...

The Morini CM22 has been the pistol of choice of several other highly regarded shooters in Australia for both Standard Match & now Rapid Fire with the introduction of the new rules on the 1st Jan 2005.

Bruce Favell from Queensland has already been shooting regularly in the mid-high 570's when competing at Open shoots over the last few months using the Morini.

Not bad considering the short time he has been using it & the amount of fine tuning left to do...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Keep It In The Middle wrote:Bruce Favell from Queensland has already been shooting regularly in the mid-high 570's when competing at Open shoots over the last few months using the Morini.
If you are talking about Rapid Fire then you may want to check that. It's not what he told me.
Warren

Post by Warren »

I've been talking to my brother, who tells me Bruce has been shooting the heavy (steel shroud) Morini for a few months now. I believe at Opens they can still shoot the Shorts; but at State and National level they have to use 22LR. At the Qld State Champs held a few weeks ago Bruce shot a 571, 13 points ahead of the next shooter. He has also shot scores of 572 and 575 at Open shoots, as far as I know still using the Morini.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

That looks right Warren. Not "regularly in the mid-high 570's" but it is still early days and this makes them pretty impressive.

It would be interesting to hear what other international shooters are scoring under the 2005 rules.