Why is AP shooting so addictive?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

DavidO.

Why is AP shooting so addictive?

Post by DavidO. »

I was in the forum for several weeks trying to figure out what AP to buy and if it was worth it. I finally decided to wake up my Master Card and bought the LP10. No regrets, its quality is apparent. Ok, my question:
I shot everything from a slug, .357 to a .22 for years, but for some reason the little .177 has me addictive to the point I'm shooting on a daily basis. Just curious, just to change the subject matter, but is there an explanation why AP shooting is so popular?
Kelly

Re: Why is AP shooting so addictive?

Post by Kelly »

I don't know if it is that popular (at least there is only one AP match in my state and I run it ;~) but the ease of running AP compared to any other shooting sport is very appealing. The ability to practice at home at the official distance makes it extremely affordable. For what it costs me to drive to the range and back to shoot powdered guns I can shoot AP for a 1000 rounds including targets. Hard to beat from an economic point of view.
DavidO. wrote:I was in the forum for several weeks trying to figure out what AP to buy and if it was worth it. I finally decided to wake up my Master Card and bought the LP10. No regrets, its quality is apparent. Ok, my question:
I shot everything from a slug, .357 to a .22 for years, but for some reason the little .177 has me addictive to the point I'm shooting on a daily basis. Just curious, just to change the subject matter, but is there an explanation why AP shooting is so popular?
Bill177

The perfect score is illusive

Post by Bill177 »

And it always will be for me - but, that doesn't keep me from working at it. Well, that's one thought anyway.

The fact is that I found competitive rifle shooting was getting to be too much for the artheritis. Actually, most heavy rifle shooting was a pain in all ways.

Pistol shooting required a trip to the range. Too much time. Too easy to have an excuse as to why I didn't shoot this week. The indoor range air was lousy and I always came home with stuffed sinus passages.

So I bought an IZH 46M, found that I liked it. Built a target box and filled it with Duct Seal. Life got better. Bought a couple of other APs - a K58 and a K60, life is good. Then I settled on a new Pardini K2 in Co2. Life is great!

AP is clean, no extra equipment required, can be shot at home (use reduced targets if you don't have a 10 meter long place to shoot), and is absolutely addictive. Did I mention fun? It sure is!

I shoot nearly every day. Sometimes I compete in the postal matches. I now even have a small start-up postal match at http://www.airguninfo.com called the 20/20.

A serious competitor probably won't understand my thinking. I shoot for entertainment and have a ball with it. Sure beats chasing a little white ball in all kinds of weather. And ..... it's not all about the scores.
Jerry LeVan

Post by Jerry LeVan »

I enjoy AP because
1) For about 40-50 minutes I can "lock out" my real world problems.
2) It only takes a minute to set up at home and about as long to shut down.
3) I am in my "late mid sixties" and can still enjoy the activity.
4) There is something about the simplicity of the concept of shooting an AP and the complexity of the execution of the act that appeals to me.

I wish I had taken up AP 40 years ago...

Jerry
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

AP is the purest form of shooting...

almost no recoil, noise, wind, distraction, flying brass, shooting coat, range officers, discomfort, etc.... just you and the front sight

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Jerry,
It is an interesting effect that it locks out the world's problems.
I know that it really does take me away.
I think the wife worried at first..."oh no! he's mad as blazes and he's going to get a gun"!
But that's not the case.
It has a very calming effect.
I am sure it has to do with the level of concentration.
I don't get this with firearm shooting.
Maybe it has to do with the convenience of shooting at home.
Don't know...
JLK
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I enjoy AP shooting because, apart from the impossibly long distance Free Pistol event (I'm lucky if I can see that far let alone hit the target), it is the only ISSF pistol event our Nanny UK Government now allows me to shoot.

Given the choice however, Standard Pistol would win every time.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

C'mon David you aren't that old---I'll admit the facts about the "granny" government, but I totally hate to shoot the FP target at 50ft. (pure murder), at 74 I still prefer to shoot at 50 metres (yards). AP is such a quiet and relaxing event and nice and warm indoors, no winds or moving light. Nothing like holding with a 20-25mph shifting wind to make you totally crazy in FP--- no winds or even smoke system motors to disturb you with AP. Additionally when I get an "ON" day in AP I shoot scores that I don't want to believe. You can spot your shots quite easily at 10 metres, but I have hell of a time spotting .22 shots at 50 metres (especially when I actually get some in the black). I have thought of retiring several times but each time I shoot AP I say N-a-a-a-h!!!
Tom Bowen

Post by Tom Bowen »

For starters, I have to agree with all the above comments.

I got into it as a way to practice for free pistol and standard pistol. As it turns out I've sold my free pistol and only shoot the Hammerli 208s about once or twice a month.

So what started out as a practice method has turned out to be my favorite of all pistol shooting. Once again, see reasons mentioned above.

For me its great to go to the basement after the wife and kids are in bed and shoot 4 or 5 targets. I use the Silent Pellet Trap by Joe Matusis so there is no noise from the pellet hitting the steel plate and no lead dust or debris.

And that's my 2 cents worth of comments......
AnonJohn

It's not addictive!

Post by AnonJohn »

AP is not addictive and I'm not even sure I like it. And I haven't even ever shot an AP match. So there.

Heck, I spent more on that Morini 162EI than I have on any of my BE pistols or high power rifles. I only bought it to improve my BE scores through being able to practice at home. So what if love that damn AP. So what if now I shoot AP at least every other day in the garage. Occasionally even twice a day. Whenever I want. However long I want. Dressed however I want. Radio on or off. So what if I just pick it up turn that electronic trigger on and just dry fire. Doesn't mean I'm addicted. I can quit anytime I want. I'm not addicted. I'm not I tell you. Really. No really. And it's not like the withdrawal was painful when a buddy of mine borrowed my AP for a couple of weeks. Aw shutup! Go away. Leave me alone.

John
Bob Pickup

Post by Bob Pickup »

I've only just started with air pistol (IZH46M) but its comforting to know there are other like minded people out there who just have fun shooting at home, myself I can get 10mtrs in the length of the kitchen but I open the french doors and position the targets two mtrs outside with a piece of 8ftx4ft ply behind it and some carpet to deaden the noise (don't want to slip on the trigger and shoot next door accidentally through the hedge so 8x4 gives me a good safety area) I can shoot make coffee and keep warm in cold weather which we get a fair amount of at the edge of the Pennines, I'm in a cigarette free zone and its a damn site more pleasant than the indoor shooting clubs I've visited in the area, they were enough to put anyone off target shooting for life. Some lucky people obviously have local clubs with excellent facilities and some are prepared to travel many miles, I have neither the luxury of the first nor the time to do the second.
Bob
Dan Hankins

It's magic

Post by Dan Hankins »

Here at the Southern Test Facility, we had the same questions regarding why we were addictided to the shooting of 10 m style air psitols and rifles.

After exhaustive testing, we haved found that there are two reasons.
1. We like humiliation. We need to be humbled once in a while, cause we think we are getting pretty good and/or pretty smart.

2. Scott Pilkington and Warren Potter (Rhonda and Buck may also be in on this) have concocted a potion that is put on the hand grips of all the pistols and rifles that they sell. Works on new and used. By contact with the skin, the potion enters the body. You will soon need more. You gotta have it. You will lie to your significant other, hide money and run up your credit cards to get more. They also use this same potion on the pellets and edleman targets, and most other stuff they sell. I am hooked and enjoying it, so this is not a complaint. Further the stuff that they sell is first rate and reasonably priced. So, if you gotta be "hooked" you could do a lot worse.

Good luck, and have fun. The potion is surely a secret. Washing your hands often may help, but wont abate the symptoms. The new flu vaaccine won't help either. Perhaps a consult with a shaman or mid wife from the Southern Tennessee back woods would help, but I am not sure of that.

I remaim, with tounge firmly in cheek,

Respectfully,
Bubba
AKA Dan Hankins
CEO and Grounds Keeper, The Southern Test Facility
Working for you, the good folks who shoot, collect and own air guns
CraigE

the potion may be secret

Post by CraigE »

To Whom it may Concern:

The potion is secret. However, courtesy of the Southern Test Facility, now all the aftereffects are public knowledge: running up credit, squirreling away stray cash, acquiring new technology.....pervaricating to spouses and significant others.....bragging up new toys.......

Bubba, you have popped the lid for Pandora.

Also, with tongue firmly in cheek.

And with due respect,
CraigE
funmat

AP- why

Post by funmat »

Yes, Jerry LaVan And David Levene, you have both got some points there.
AP shooting is relaxing, simple shooting fun. No heavy leather clothing, no large rifle suitcases to fumble around with.
With the high quality APs available, this shooting is very thrilling. At that unforgiving small bullseye of the international 10 m AP target.

After working hours, i almost daily go to my companies small 10 m AP/AR range. Shooting, letting the thoughts wander around, relaxing a little, before driving home.

(funmat = having FUN shooting my new MATchguns MG-1).
Dan Hankins

Stress relief

Post by Dan Hankins »

funmat,

I too have used and still do use the shooting as a means of stress relief.

While you probably cant do this at work, I have a suggestion that might further aid in stress relief and improve shooting skills.

First you get one of those plastic 2 liter bottles that soft drinks come in. I then fillit with shreded paper and water. let the paper soak up the water, then add some more paper and water. This way the bottle wil stand up when hit by a pellet, and the soaked paper keeps the water and weight in the bottle, so you can shoot it quite a number of times and it will stand.

some where on the web, some time ago I downloaded a human silhouette. This was just an outline of the human body, and can be printed on an 8.5" X 11" piece of paper. On the printed target, you can draw in details that might make the human form look like whomever you may feel has caused you to have some stress. After the "art work" is complete you can tape the target to the 2 liter bottle, which should now weigh about 2 pounds, and set it at whatever distance you want and shoot away.

If you want to you can cut off the head of the paper target and move it up the bottle, then carve a hole in a small potatoe, or fruit of choice. Now you have a head to shoot at that is reactive. For further enjoyment, you can take one of the free katsup serving bag things, and fold it over to make it thight, and tape it under the center mass on the silhouette. When hit, the catsup shoots out nicely.

This kind of target might best be used in the privacy of your back yard if you have a tall privacy fence, or anywhere, out of sight of the general public. Unless you want your neighbors to think you are crazy. There are advantages and disadvantages to this.

Most of the time now I shoot indoors on my home made 10 m range. I am still trying to get all the 10s out of my Morini. I know they are in there, and all I have to do is transfer them from the pistol to the target. But once in a while I shoot the 2 liter men, and usually set one up, complete with katsup, for guests to shoot. It's a hoot.

Respectfully,
Bubba
Director of Human Resources and CEO of The Southern Test Facility
Whre we say, shoot what you want as long as it does no unintended harm to any thing animate or inamimate.
funmat

no human silhuett

Post by funmat »

Dan(ny):
Thanks for your considerations regarding suitable targets.

Many, many years ago, when I first visited a pistol range there were firing indoor at the then standart tall, black UIT duell target. The x ring was oval and easy to hit.
But then it was decided that in civilian shooting, there should be no targets reminicent of humans. So the target was changed to the rectangular one.

My shooting is civilian, and I am not much of a warrior. And I have no anger against other humans, so I think I will not shoot at that human silhuett at 10 meters. But perhaps somebody will find this a good idea.
I will stick to the ISSF 10 m target, albeit it features a very tine x-ring.

Thanks, anyway, for charing your sport with us, Bubba.