Morini CM22M problems

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
lajette

Morini CM22M problems

Post by lajette »

Hi. I have recently bought 2 CM22M pistols. One is an Aluminium shroud and the other is steel.
My problem is I don't seem to be able to get any reliability out of either. They just don't seem to chamber the round correctly and all squeezing the trigger does is chamber the round and not fire it. Along with this problem in one of them the trigger seems to stick and grip all the way through the first stage travel causing alot of mental grief. With the change in ISSF regs from next year onwards these are going to be costly.
Can any one tell me if they have had any sort of problems with these guns and how they can be fixed or whether it is a design fault. I have had the chambers looked at by a gunsmith and polished but it has not resolved any reliability issues. I have tried them with RWS,SK and Eley ammo but none are reliable. I have also tried shooting them clean and dirty but that also has no effect on the problems.
As the guns are only 4 months old and have fired less than 1000 rounds each will the factory do anything for me or not in regards to the warranty.
bjornar

Article on Morini CM22

Post by bjornar »

Look at this article:
http://arne.nohlberg.com/artikel_morini_%2022_m.htm

It is in swedish language. You probably need at dictionary (?).
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Yes, I have had some problems with my CM22 as well. Mine started out working nearly flawless then after a few thousand rounds it began having light strikes, then it started not feeding always, then it started not feeding ever! I thought it might be magazine trouble but upon thinking about how the .22 s were jamming, I looked at the bolt face where the cartridge rim slides up during chambering. I could not force a rim to enter this area--problem discovered. Next I took a small rotary bur in my flexible shaft polisher (I am a jeweler by trade) and gently removed the peened bur around the edge of the groove where the rim slides up, then I highly polished this area with jewelers rouge--problem solved. I have shot a couple of bricks of my favorite ammo (wolf) and have had no more poblems, knock on wood. The early light strikes were caused by sluggish chambering which only got worse to no chambering. Hopefully my fix will last a while and no new ones will appear. I wonder if the bolt is not properly heat treated? Perhaps I will have to keep polishing until it totally craps out, I hope not.
I have never had a problem with my trigger, it is excellent. The gun overall is fantastic to shoot and I just love the feel. I have shot it both in NRA and international style events, it is pefect for both. My scores improved dramatically when I changed from the walther gsp. I feel like a 890 (NRA) is in me with the morini, but these problems you and I and others have had with this pistol are disappointing. The good news is that if you get your problems solved, you are going to have a great shooting pistol.
Does anyone know how to get that swedish article translated? I live in a town with much swedish heritage so I may have to scout for someone who can read the lingo.
Good luck with the CM 22, it is a diamond in the rough, though it should be perfect from the get-go.
MAS

Morini CM 22 curing

Post by MAS »

Regrettably, this nice gun is hampered with some persisting problems. My gun is from the first production run, and I have fired well over 20.000 rounds through it now. And I have had my share of problems.

The first run of magazines did not function well. Or more presicely, they worked well for a few thousand rounds, then started to cause problems.
The metal magazine followers developed transversal grooves. This caused increased resistance by feeding oof the cartridge into the chamber it seems. Obviously this also infered with the bolt traveling backwards during recoil. Typically the gun would rechamber the spent case. And sometimes the case was not thrown clear of the gun, causing a lateral "stovepipe".

The new run of magazines incorporated hard, clear plastic followers, and they seem to work better.

After many more thousands of rounds the gun evolved another bad habit. Occasionally, I think I could kind of feel the bolt "hug" at the start of its recoil travel. I imagined this was caused by the spent case sticking to tightly to the chamber walls, but I an not sure. Typically the spent case was rechambered, but the bolt usually moved far enough rearward to cock the hammer!
I then decided to try to cure the gun the way stubborn .22 short rapidfire match pistols were cured for malfunctioning: by applying a faint streak of oil to the upper cartridge in the magazine.
This made the gun function reliably! But whenever I do stop lubing the upper cartridge, it will start to malfunction again after 5 to 10 shots.

The all-steel CM22 is a good choice for rapid fire. The center of gravity is way forward, giving the gun a pronounced frontheavy feel.
It a nice gun. Hope the factory will be able to remedy the problems in future production runs.
MAS

Answer to Bjornar /CM22

Post by MAS »

The article in Swedish language you are refering to gives a fairly long and detailed technical description of the CM 22.
But the "troubleshooting" chapter is a short one. I think it should have been the other way around.
The article refers to stoppages caused by the loosening of locking pins.

This was definetelly never the cause of the malfunctions I experienced when firing my gun.
Francesco

Re: Morini CM22M problems

Post by Francesco »

Can you tell me where you got the pistols and the serial numbers. You can contact me at morini@bluewin.ch when you want.
Morino-owner

CM22

Post by Morino-owner »

That is probably ok, Francesco.
But my CM 22 was in fact serviced at the Morini factorystand during the world championships in Lachti in 2002. But to no avail. It is not a reliable performer.
The post from the swede Bjornar above refers to an article were curing a badly malfunctioning CM22 was achived by lightening the bolt considerably.

I am willing to do just about anything to make mine work reliably. If it did, it would become an invinceable gun for the rapidfire stages, due to its heavy weight and the extreme frontheavy balance.

Regards,

CM 22 owner
Leffe

I know what MAS is talking about :/

Post by Leffe »

I bought my pistol, a Morini CM22m in 2002.
I have been shooting with it quite extensively, around 30 - 40 000 shots at least.
My problems with the pistol has been much the same as MAS is mentioning.
I have sent my pistol to service three times now.
They have replaced my magazines and some other parts on the pistol, springs, mantle, the new lightweight one aso. It works better but it´s not reliable.
I also got the advice to check the pins carefully.
Well, it didn´t help that much, it got a bit better but I´m stuck on slowfireing diciplines with it because it does not perform reliable.
It doesn´t go "bang" every time I squeeze the trigger when it comes to rapid fire.
I must say I´m disappointed in a way because the pistol is very nice to handle and in many other ways. I expected more for all that money I spent on it.

BR //Leffe

Miscalculation

Post by Guest »

I have recaculated the amount of shots I´ve fired with the Morini and it finally comes to around 20,000, not 30-40 000!

Sorry about that ;)