good or bad decision

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
lucky

good or bad decision

Post by lucky »

I am currently considering purchasing either a LP-2 or LP-10
My question is this should i buy the lp-2 and use the saved money difference of an lp-10 to buy a pump ,or save up more and get the lp-10. Is there that much of a difference between the two. I realize the lp-10 is the latest type. is it that much better than the lp-2.

thanks ahead of time any responce.
lucky
Axel

Post by Axel »

I'm going throu the same thoughts that you are and I'm leaning towards the LP2. It doesnt have all the features that LP10 got but, hey, the mens olympic gold in athens was won with a LP1. LP2 is the successor of LP1.

LP2 is actually more recent than LP10
dflast

Post by dflast »

I faced exactly the same decision several months back, chose the LP2 and don't regret my choice one bit. Plus or minus a few points maybe at the 575+ level simply isn't an issue for me, the loading gate suits my big fingers, and to be honest I preferred the looks of the unshrouded barrel.
Besides, there was this vision of myself showing up for AP league with hardware that so conspicuously made promises I couldn't keep....
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'm not overly familiar with the technical differences but I would opt for the better pistol i.e. the LP10 (which I have). One of the few differences I know of is the ported barrel. The LP10 has next to no barrel flip whereas the LP2 doesn't use the technology hence has a small amount of flip. My advice is always go for the best you can, that way you wont want to upgrade it in a year or two's time.

As always try both guns before you buy and see what best suits you.

Rob.
PaulT

LP10/LP2

Post by PaulT »

The LP2 is an excellent starter pistol. It is sold with a single cylinder in the UK –v- two cylinders for the LP10. The web site itemises differences between two models but suggest, if you get a chance to shoot both.

I just sold my LP10, the was nothing at all wrong with it, I just preferred the Morini 162EI. The LP2 and 10 both have the wonderful grip flexibility not available on the Morini.

One of the juniors I coach (pony club) has just taken delivery of an LP2. I shot the unit for a bit and loved the balance, it did benefit from being tested and set-up by the dealer who is the only UK appointed Steyr service engineer (although many claim to know what they are doing LOL!).

The LP2 has a short model option so it has the opportunity to have balance set up more similar to a 25m cartridge (ISSF) / bullseye (USA) rather than the free-pistol like balance of the LP10 with more weight further forward.

The LP10 has a dead feeling with the ports. I personally did not mind either way.

I am sure that if you purchase either pistol and later decide to change, you will not be short of buyers for either unit!

Enjoy your shooting.
Paul
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

The LP-10 is the successor to the LP-1. Its most notable addition is recoil reduction due to improved bolt design.

The LP-2 is a lower cost entry pistol that does not have the barrel ports, the adjustable weights on the shroud, or the recoil absorber in the bolt. It probably shoots well beyond most of us, but it is not Steyr's best.

You of course need to be able to feed your pistol, so an LP-2 with pump is far superior to an LP-10 with no air. On the other hand, if you plan to eventually buy the features of the LP-10, then an LP-2 makes little sense. If you can't afford a new LP-10, then get a used one.
Axel

Post by Axel »

Just curius, why did Yify Wang, the gold medalist in athens, choose the LP1 instead of the LP10? My guess is personal preference. Perhaps he likes the small recoil from the LP1. The LP1 is also lighter than LP10, that can also be a factor.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I seem to recall reading (here ???) that he changed pistols but reverted back to the LP1 because he liked the pistol more. Perhaps he just had more confidence with it ? I don't know, but what suits one shooter, doesn't necessarily suit another.

Rob.
DavidO.

LP2 v. LP10

Post by DavidO. »

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury to handle either one. I was certain I wanted to purchase one of the above. Its a big question for most because of the cost. I had one advice to buy the best even if its for a few hundred more and then I called pilkguns.com. I was told both pistols were very similar except that the P2 has a very unsignificant recoil than the LP10. Has anyone tried both and decided which was the better. I'm still a novice, but I prefer to have the better weapon and use it for years to come.
Tom Bowen

Post by Tom Bowen »

I have always found it to be much cheaper to buy what you really want the first time around.

Otherwise you feel like you compromised and wind up selling it six months later for 50% of the purchase price and then buy what you really wanted in the first place.

So just save a few more dollars and get the LP10 you really want and be done with it.
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

I'll second Tom's motion. I've NEVER regretted buying the best - but I've frequently gotten burned on second-rate hardware.
Helen

Post by Helen »

Another 2cents:
Look at the long term. The cheaper gun will be good, until you get good enough to start questioning "what if I had one that had no recoil, had weights so I could fine-tune it just for me?" With the LP20, you will never have that question "is it the equipment, or is it me?"
Then you have to try to sell it & raise the money again for the better gun. And of course, there lies the after-market problem - the cheaper gun will be worth a lesser percentage of it's original cost, than the better gun. Of course, you may never want to sell the better gun - it will last you a lifetime, with never any questions of "what if?"
One is a lifetime investment, one is not.