Rubber buffers for Walther GSP.22

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alex L

Rubber buffers for Walther GSP.22

Post by Alex L »

A number of shooters I know, have a rubber buffer in their .32GSP. They shoot very well at both 25m and 50m. They claim the buffer helps the recoil. The buffer is fitted in between the slide end and the spring.

My question is - has anyone tried to fit a buffer to a GSP .22, which would help the recoil, and could be used successfully in the Rapid Fire event? some .22 longs have a big kick, and this, theoretically, would help to make the gun more reliable.

I have not heard of anyone fitting a buffer to the .22, and wonder if anyone has tried it.
I would be interested to hear from anyone with any information about this.
A.L.
stratego

Post by stratego »

Hi Alex,

I'm aware that some shooters use buffers on their GSP's .32, as for the 22's I've never known any case. Despite having a GSP Expert in both calibers I've never tried it too as this model cames with its own recoil-reducing system under the barrel.

Buffering has 2 joint purposes. One is to short the bolt motion the other is to reduce the bolt shock, both in order to aloud a faster aiming recover. This system is used mainly at CISM Military Rapid Fire Pistol event, yet not every shooter chooses to do it.

Anyway the success of buffering the Walther GSP .32 will depend on the ammo you use. If you're using ammo with a softer recoil effect, buffering the pistol can lead to frequent jamming as cartridge extraction is slower. So it can happen bolt closes before the shell gets out of its way.

In the .22Lr case the ammo tends to be more sensitive. So I think the jamming risk will be greater.

Anyway you can find factory installed plastic/rubber buffers in the Hammerli 280 and the pistol seems to shoot without problems.

In conclusion, assuming that buffering the GSP really works... I'd choose very carefully the ammo before installing any recoil-buffer.

Good shooting,
Stratego