Best PRIMERS for .32 WADCUTTER reloading

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

What brand of primers you use to reload .32 WC

CCI
14%
Federal
48%
Remington
No votes
Winchester
38%
RWS
No votes

Total votes: 21

stratego

Best PRIMERS for .32 WADCUTTER reloading

Post by stratego »

Hello.

Can someone please give some advice on the most suitable primers for .32 Wadcutter reloading?
How about Remington SP? Still I'm free to get almost every brand.

(I'm now using N310 Vihtavuori powder, H&N projectiles and Lapua shells)

Greetings from Portugal,
Stratego
sparky

Post by sparky »

I'd use Federal for the same reasons the above poster said. Winchester would be my second choice.
I've never used RWS.
CCI would be my last choice, as the primer cups seem to be harder than most.
Verbal

Post by Verbal »

Actually the reoccuring comment I see with CCI primers, it that they are harder than most brands, even on thier rimfire cartirges (well priming compund in that case).
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Back in the old days when we were allowed to have cartridge guns in the UK and I was reloading a LOT of .32 I would only use CCI 500 primers. In a GSP and a FAS 603 I cannot remember aver having any primer related problems.

I stopped reloading when CBC (later to become Magtec) 32 became available. I was using premium quality primers powder and bullets and the CBC, which was extremely consistant and accurate, was available at only about 10% additional cost. Saving the time of reloading, carefully, 200-300 rounds a week was well worth the extra money.
verbal (switched comp)

Post by verbal (switched comp) »

So you are only allowed air pistols in England? Not even single shot .22 free pistols?

And I thought australia was bad. All I can say, is thank goodness for organisations such as the Sport Shooting Asoc Of Australia who can represent us sport shooters in a political arena, though if the polititions did decide to simply disarm Australia, I couldn't imagine that they would face much resistance with only 5.2% of the population owning a firearms licence, the negative portrail of the sport and firearms in general by the media, and the lack of public knowlege, and ignorance of the public. Your not wrong when you refer to them as the 'good old days', when this kind of rubbish really wasn't an issue.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

verbal (switched comp) wrote:So you are only allowed air pistols in England? Not even single shot .22 free pistols?
We are allowed .22 single shots provided that they have a minimum barrel length of 300mm and a minimum overall length, with no easily removeable parts, of 600mm.
verbal (still not logedIn

Post by verbal (still not logedIn »

It is impossible for me, having never lived in england to make any sort of comment on that, especially as I get particuarly annoyed when americans who have never set foot outside of their own country, and therefor are totaly oblivious to Austraian culture, or the australian way of life sit back, and draw their own "profound judgments and views" about what is wrong with our firearms laws.

So i will ask you, how do you feel about the stict gun control in england? Was it nessasary? And has it actually prevented or lowered the crime rate.

Speaking from my own experience with the australian laws. Yes I belive the first wave of gun laws introduced in 1996 after the port authur massacre were nessesary, but they were just a knee jerk reaction by the polititions to satisfy an ignorant and gullable public. But yes, there is no justifiable reason for owning a fully automatic assult rife in Australia. The new handgun legslation introduced in october of last year after an asian exchange student shot a few of his university class mates, was just the polititions doing what they do best, and that is not representing the best interests of the public, but attempting to hold onto as many votes as possible by creating the illusion that they are getting things done. The banning of certain types of handguns was a wate of time and taxpayers money, and really they should of been asking how this individial had a firearms licence in the first place. The ineffictiveness of these new laws can be shown by the fact the the exact guns used in the shooting are still perfectly legal.

Well i'll step down from my soap box, but i'm sure many realise that the future of thier sport is in the hands of a government who does not have any interest in saving it, and would rather pander to the media's falsified crys. And that quite frankly is worrying, as it places the future of this sport on shakey ground.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

verbal (still not logedIn wrote:So i will ask you, how do you feel about the stict gun control in england? Was it nessasary? And has it actually prevented or lowered the crime rate.
I'm afraid that is totally off-topic but, as you ask, the legislation was un-warranted, un-necessary, disproportionate and in-affective. Only the law-abiding were penalised. Need I say more.
Verbal

Post by Verbal »

Yes, sorry I am steering this discussion completey off course.

No, more is not nessasary, I think you have about summed it up. It's scary the level of control and trust a government is given isn't it?

Yes my apologies to all for the diversion.
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

Stan Pace wrote:Stratego,

I use Federal primers because they have a reputation for being a little softer than the other brands. As a result, they are more likely to have your load go bang when you want it to. In addition, they are a little easier to seat when priming the case.
Stan,
What brand of case?
I have gone the other way, finding that while the winchester and federal small pistol primers give similar (good) results out of the ransom rest for ISSF loads - but the winchester primers give a better seat 'feel' (in win .38 spl brass).
Regards,
Spencer