Final advice before purchace.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Verbal

Final advice before purchace.

Post by Verbal »

Hi,

Well after asking 20 questions on the AW93, and Pardini SP, I painfulky decided that I just cannot afford either one of these pistols, and was forced to foucs my search on the more entry level pistols. However the only two I could seem to find in a resonable price range were the Walther KSP200, and the Hammerli x-esse sport / sig trailside(the competition version). The KSP200 always seemed like the more serious pistol, but walther had stopped making them.

However it would apprear that I may be able to pick up one of the last ones made, brand new. As walther no longer manufacture them, I guess I have a time limit pushing me to make a qucker than usual decision.

But, before I do put down the money, and buy the KSP200, It would be much appriciated if you guys could just throw the names of any pistols in the same price range that I may have overlooked, just so I know I am making the right decision. I am really only interested in UIT/olympic style 0.22 pistols.

Thanks in advance.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

Here in the relatively free part of the US, if I buy a gun and decide later to get a different or better gun, I CAN just sell the first one to a friend or at a gun show (but I won't, I keep EVERYTHING). One can get back most of the money, less if you put it on consignment at a dealer.

If where YOU are it is difficult to SELL a pistol.... you might consider buying the BEST one first.

Even if it means waiting a few more months for the bank account to grow.

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
Sparky is me

Post by Sparky is me »

I wouldn't sweat the fact that Walther isn't "making" the KSP200 anymore. They never "made" them in the first place. They're just polished up IZH-35s with better grips.
Matter of fact, if you want the same gun cheaper (but uglier) you can probably pick up an IZH and save yourself some cash.

I don't know how prices are out your way, but in the U.S., they can be had for around US$400. There's one on www.gunbroker.com right now for $395.95
top end

Post by top end »

The last time I looked, a new KSP200 was about $1300 Australian. I havent seen them advertised here for a long time. Hermanns Sporting Guns in Melbourne used to sell them but stopped due to the amount of warranty claims. This is not good value for money. Pick up a second hand Walther GSP or a Unique - they are (or were) everywhere. These second hand ISSF pistols are a much better buy than the type of hammerli you are looking at. There certainly is a lot of second hand rubbish on the Australian market that is commanding large prices - be patient and you will get a good buy.
By the way - just saw the latest new prices in Aust. for old model Pardini $1800, obviously making way for the new version at about $2100. With the strengthening of the Aussie dollar against the yank, prices of new pistols are falling-this makes bargaining for second hand gear much easier.
Verbal

Post by Verbal »

Sparky,

I am well aware that the KSP is a refinished Bakial IZH-35M, however I was more interested in the KSP, because of the improvements made, and the fact that noone imports the IZH into australia.

Top End & Bill,

Thanks for the advice. Yup the KSP is $1450, and I can get the pardini SP for 1800, so a $350 difference. The warrenty clains are a concern, and I think it may be better to wait, as 350 really is not that much.

Cheers.
xtreme

Post by xtreme »

Verbal

I have also looked at the KSP, but here in Oz you have to be VERY careful of buying an orphan that will have no resale value. Especially if there are warranty problems [as you say] with the KSP, you may end up with a fishing sinker
I would like the IZH air pistol, but no dealers will import them [ one?] into Australia. I would accept an orphan air pistol like the IZH, but not the .22 in the likes of the IZH35 / KSP200
Importing parts that may be needed for the AP would be relatively painless, but mags etc for the .22 would be a nightmare
Verbal

Post by Verbal »

It seems to be a bit of a gamble, and the only place I can find a review for them, is on american sites, by people who don't intend to use them havily, or for competing.

I might stick with my original decision, and go with the pardini, as it has a very good reputation, and I know what I am getting.

Thanks guys, I will let you know what I think of the Pardini when I get it.
Claus

When buying a gun...

Post by Claus »

Verbal wrote:It seems to be a bit of a gamble...
I might stick with my original decision, and go with the pardini, as it has a very good reputation, and I know what I am getting.
It's always a gamble.
You got some sound advice: Get the "best gun" from the start, even if it means saving for another couple of months. I'd support that any time.

And remember: A .22 gun will last a lifetime if not abused. My High Standard is still an excellent shooter, and it was manufactured in 1974. A second hand gun without defects is often just as good (and sometimes better) than a brand new one.

Fast Fumble, Denmark
Verbal

Post by Verbal »

Thanks mate. Yeah, i'd tend to agree now. My main problem however is that I am a student, so I have no form of steady income, and sometimes 'waiting a few months' can actually result in a decreace of the money in the bank account. But I do see your point, and besides I kinda wanted the pardini anyway...lol.

And for those interested, there is still ONE KSP200 left in Australia, but it is a left hand gun.