Dry Firing A Hammerli X-ESSE / Sig Trailside

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Verbal

Dry Firing A Hammerli X-ESSE / Sig Trailside

Post by Verbal »

Hi,

Just a quick one, does anyone know if the trailsides have a dry fire mechanisum, or special dry fire plug at all?

Also while I am here, does anyone have any experience with this gun?

Cheers,
Dylan
Tom Bowen

Post by Tom Bowen »

I have the Hammerli 208s. In order to safely dry fire this pistol you need to use the little red plug that comes with the gun. Other than that there is no dry fire mechanism on the pistol.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

> trailsides have a dry fire mechanisum, or special dry fire plug at all?

The manual with the Trailside guns almost shouts 'no dry-firing'. The guns used to be shipped with a breech plug, but it was missing on a recent new specimen I handled. I'm not sure why they won't tolerate dry firing. Maybe it's a firing pin issue, or the hammer might smack the slide in a delicate place without the cushion of pin resistance. Disappointing, in any case, the gun is a very good shooter at a great price.
Verbal

Post by Verbal »

They are about the only sport 22 in that price range, arn't they (well apart from the IZH-35M).

No dryfire plug, o well. But I guess I could always just use some spent brass right?
J M L shooter

dry firing Hammerli trailside/ X-esse

Post by J M L shooter »

I don't dry fire mine per the very strong request of the manual...plus my gunsmith would kick my rear. I don't know why for sure, but I will check it out. I have had my trailside for a little over 2 years. Thousands of rounds later and a new firing pin to make sure my strikes are good at the big match, it is running like a champ. LOVE IT, LOVE IT! They do however, sell dry firing plugs for them (5 for $6.40), trust me, I use them-10 so far. Larry's Guns out of Maine is who I deal with. Good "people" so to speak. Hope this helps. :)
Robert

Post by Robert »

Shooter,
What ammunition do you use? I have some of the Eley's Practice and wondering if the pistol can smoothly eject the empties.