when to make a click ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nano

when to make a click ?

Post by Nano »

Hello!

how many bad shots does require each shooter, to cheer up to make a click in the sights?
The oldest shooter of my club, tells me that with a single shot that doesn't arrive where he had thought (feeling), he already makes a click, personally I wait 3 shots deviated to move the aims at least.
Does somebody have another technique?

Nano
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Nano,

Some days I shoot very well - other days I call my shots very well. On my very best days, I can do both but those are exceptional circumstances.

Even on those days when I'm calling my shots very well, I'm not convinced I need a sight adjustment until I see a 2 or 3 shot group.

I have never had a day where I felt confident enough to make an adjustment based on a single shot alone. But, I sure envy anyone that can.

Paul
aurorapolice02_11

a couple points

Post by aurorapolice02_11 »

there are a couple things to keep in mind about changing sights.

first of all, ideally every shot you should be able to determine if your sights need adjusting or if you committed a technical error.

i had a coach in high school tell me that you essentially lose nothing by changing your sights. he explained it this way. if you are shooting high, but are still afraid to click down because you might lose points it's not a big concern. a high nine can be turned into a ten by sight adjustment. if you click and now you shoot a low nine, it's no worse than your previous shot. it's hard to explain but i hope that helps.

another thing is why allow poor shoots to keep happening before you make a decision? one bad shot should be met with some sort of solution and act on it. i personally would not wait for three shots before making a sight change. if i knew on the first shot i needed to fix something, i would.

hope that helps.

Mike Douglass
dps1226

when to make a click

Post by dps1226 »

Rifle shooters use the screw driver much quicker than pistol shooters. I do not know why.Maybe they study it more or are trained to adjust sooner. If you know where your release is happening and you are seeing an impact change, the sights need to be adjusted. .... Maybe pistol shooters do not trust what they see or are not focusing as intently on the sights. I don't propose chasing every shot but a much quicker response to results should happen.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I will change my sights after a single shot with no concerns. A click is a very small amount and may just 'steal a 10'. I find as a shoot progresses my point of aim may change slightly, the light can vary (if outdoors) and your eyes can get more tired. If you wait to see a proper 3 shot trend before moving the sights then you could in theory have just lost two points by being too slow to change.

Rob.
Helen

Post by Helen »

Once your mind is thinking "maybe I should change the sights", change them! Otherwise this niggling little thought keeps happening with each shot - "Geez, I shoulda changed the sights" .
It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Adjust the sight, even if it's only one click, then your mind can say "there, I fixed it. I'm OK now."
Really!
Nano

clicks

Post by Nano »

thanks to all for your answers.
they have been very useful for me.
from now on before, I will make more clicks, at the end, it doesn't cost anything.

Thank you again,

Nano

clicking

Post by guest »

Another $.02 worth...

Don't click after "bad" shots, click after good ones.

OK, click after you are confident that you have performed well and the hole isn't where you expect it to be... even if it is in the center.
colinh

Click for what purpose

Post by colinh »

I'd assume that the click has been well adjusted before the match starts, and the rear plate shouldn't be moving at all. Is this mostly for the mental thing? Do Olympic shooters adjust the click in the middle of the competition?

Colin
aurorapolice02_11

good point!!!

Post by aurorapolice02_11 »

Guest makes a good point about bad shots. People have a different idea of what "bad shot" means. some people thnk a bad shot is just a score. a true bad shot is a shot that did not go where you called. Tens can be "bad shots".

I admit, I use "bad shot" interchangebly. If a shot goes where you called it and that location is not where you want it, make the sight change provided you did not make a technical error.

Olympic shooters do change their sights in a match. Colin you are correct, sighting should be done before the match and yes the sights should not move. Keep this in mind, over the course of a match a shooter's muscles will loosen up a little bit. This may cuase a slight change in position. A change in position may cause sighting differences, therefore a click or two may be needed. It may not be a big change, but enough to make a difference, especially at that level. A good example of position change if your feet. it's commom to change foot position slightly during a match.

Mike Douglass
PaulB

clicking

Post by PaulB »

To start out: I agree with Mike, but would like to add something a little different.

I wish that there was someway to get rid of the words "bad shot". In my way of thinking, as the engineer and shooting coach that I am, there is no such thing as a "bad shot". The only bad shots are the ones that blow up the gun, don't leave the barrel or go six inches low because there was not enough powder in the cartridge. There are three kinds of "normal" shots: average, above average and below average. These will be in some kind of Gaussian distribution around an average, either average for the target, for the match, for the year or for the career. The nature of shooting means that one will always have shots and scores that are above and below one's average. It is impossible not to. Statistical laws also tell us that sometimes there will be shots that are significantly below one's average. This WILL happen. It does not make it "bad". One's goal should be to always be increasing one's overall average by shooting as many above average shots as one is able. Learn what you can from each shot that you take, make any necessary adjustments and then endeavor to shoot the next shot better.

As far as clicking one's sights is concerned, my philosophy has always been if your shot grouping is not centered then you take clicks, regardless of whether or not you believe that you caused the shot(s) to go errant through some "error" that you made. If you have an identified center of a grouping that is not in the middle of target then something is causing this to happen ("errors" or sights off). Since you are getting a grouping it is likely that in the short term, at least on the target you are shooting, that whatever is causing the grouping to be off-center will continue (either the "error" or the sights being off) and thus, in order to get the maximum number of points, the most prudent thing to do is take clicks to attempt to center the group, which will produce the highest score.

Paul Benneche