Hammerli 162 Ammunition

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Kennyshoots

Hammerli 162 Ammunition

Post by Kennyshoots »

1) Has anyone done any testing with their 162 to see what ammo it likes? 2) Does anyone know what Hammerli uses to fire their test targets?

I have only had mine a short time and have only fired it with RWS Target (that I have had for about 5 years) and it seemed to like it. I didn't put it in a test stand, just off-hand.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Kenny
Stedman, NC

Jesus is the way!
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

My gues is any premium match ammo will do fine. Beyond that, you'll have to batch test.

My experience with batch testing TENEX is the best performing batch in my gun shot groups about half the size of the worst. The worst was 1.25 inches at 50 meters:-)

Post by Guest »

I have a 160 and surely tested many type of ammunitions.

All I actually interested was the feel when it recoiled. My score has improved since I started to use SK Standard and Eley Practice. For sure, the improvement was not only due to ammunitions, but trigger time behind it. These ammunitions gave a very mild feel when they went bang.

However, I may eventually get some Tenx and give it a try to see how these premium ammunition can boost an extra point or two.
Kennyshoots

Post by Kennyshoots »

Surely more people out there have done a little testing with the 162 and ammo!?!?

Kenny
Jesus is the way!
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

The answer is that .22 LR ammunition varies from batch to batch, and Hammerli pistols vary from gun to gun.

My own experince testing TENEX in three Hammerli pistols has lead me to the conclusion that anyone who tests one batch of any ammunition in any pistol and draws some conclusion from tht test about that brtand of ammunition and its performance in that brnad of pistol doesn't understand much about process control or statistics:-)
aurorapolice02_11

experience

Post by aurorapolice02_11 »

Kenny,

testing ammo is something that each shooter needs to do on their own. you can take suggestions from other shooters concerning what they tested and that particular ammo may not work in your gun at all, even if it is the same model pistol.

keep in mind when you test a brand of ammo, you also need to test different lot numbers.

here's another opinion of mine concerning ammo testing. all major ammo brands will shoot well within the ten ring of a free pistol target. ammo testing should only really be a concern until one makes it at the international level. if you are not shooting international level scores, training is more of a priority right now.

Mike Douglass
Kennyshoots

Post by Kennyshoots »

Thanks to all who have posted an input to my question.

I am just looking for any edge that will get my average out of the mid 90's, I seem to just be stuck there...Just kidding, just kidding.

I was unaware that there is that much deviation in 22lr match ammo, even between lot #'s. I understand that right now I need to concentrate on training, but my hope was to be able to settle on an ammo that would shoot well for me and my gun and then forget about that aspect for a while.

Thanks again for the input!

Kenny
Jesus Saves!
Lee Jr

Post by Lee Jr »

Kenny,

I've been shooting a 150 for quite a few years and average in the high 80's with it. For the last couple of years I've been shooting Eley Standard Pistol through it. It's very economical ($30/brick) and seems to work very well in my Hammerli.

Lee
Dave Guest

Ammo Hammerli

Post by Dave Guest »

The last extensive test I did with the Hammerli 150 showed it shot almost everything within the 10 ring at 50 m. The best groups were with Tenex and CCI standard velocity !! both about 0.5" at 50 yds. with reduced target. Shows that barrels are individual. My 208 s pistols (2) shoot most ammo very well, including the CCI std. vel. Functioning in the 208s is more important as the better ammo (RWS) detonates more regularly. The USA ammo brands seem to use thicker brass and can misfire (most of these shoot with the second strike). RWS and Eley are more reliable in the 208s.

Also try the SK Jagd Match which shoots very well in my TOZ and in my Pardini PGP 75.
Kennyshoots

Thanks for more input

Post by Kennyshoots »

Dave Guest,

After shooting my 162 a little and with a small variety of ammo, I have also come to the conclusion that any decent ammo will shoot good in it. I have just started using some Federal 711B and have been pleasantly pleased with it so far. It seems that every shot that I call good is in the 10 when I look. I have also been shooting it in my IZH-35 and it seems to like it also.

Kenny
Jesus is the way!