whats wrong if anything

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
lucky

whats wrong if anything

Post by lucky »

is it a must to buy a model feinwerkbau p-34 or will a model p103 do just as well to get me to the olympics.I dont mind cocking a p103
i have a izh 46m now.It seems everyone is going to the pca type of guns whats wrong with the old stuff,are the pca guns that much better.

please reply i am confused.

thanks
lucky
David Levene

Re: whats wrong if anything

Post by David Levene »

lucky wrote:is it a must to buy a model feinwerkbau p-34 or will a model p103 do just as well to get me to the olympics.I dont mind cocking a p103
i have a izh 46m now.It seems everyone is going to the pca type of guns whats wrong with the old stuff,are the pca guns that much better.
It's not the gun that matters most, it's the shooter.

Any gun that allows you to regularly score 580+ will do. The modern, more expensive, guns tend to make that a bit easier. PCP makes the amount of training you will need to do a less tiring.
Last edited by David Levene on Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Like they say...If you want to get to the Olympics, practice, practice, practice! Really that should be train, train, train! Once you can shoot pretty consistent scores in the 550's with your IZH 46, then you might want to upgrade to a PCP gun like the Steyr or Morini. One of the advantages of the PCP guns over your gun is that you don't get worn out pumping the gun in a match. Equipment wise, I've always tried to use what the champions use. I think that that is a good rule of thumb. Good luck in your endeavors to make the U.S. Olympic Team!
DavidO.

IZH pump v. PCP

Post by DavidO. »

I have owned an IZH-46 for the last two months, shot 2000 rounds and averaging 480s. I am aware the IZH is a good competitive air gun, but like most we have our eye on the Steyr LP10 and others like it. The FWB P103 has also been on my wish list for one reason, no worries with filling tanks or buying pumps to fill them. Does anyone own a PCP air gun and have you found any problems filling them or maintaining those air guns? The LP10 is expensive, but I only heard very good things about it. I guess I'm looking for durability along with the price tag.

Re: whats wrong if anything

Post by Guest »

Hey Lucky! You are so close to Colorado Springs why not go to the training center and get some advice there?
lucky wrote:is it a must to buy a model feinwerkbau p-34 or will a model p103 do just as well to get me to the olympics.I dont mind cocking a p103

please reply i am confused.

thanks
lucky
cbpersel

IZH vs. PCP

Post by cbpersel »

I used an IZH for 1 year and progressed to a high score of 370/400. The gun was capable of higher scores. After a 3+ year break in shooting I recently purchased a Morini 162EI and immediately shot a 360/400. The Morini is definitely easier to shoot. It is lighter, not as front heavy, better grip and has a superior trigger (electronic). Within a year I should be able to reach the 375-380 level. I use a hand pump for filling my cylinders and it is quite easy to use. Conclusion: The IZH is a superb starter pistol, but if you want to progress more quickly to the higher levels (and can afford it) then a Morini or Steyr PCP is the way to go.
Last edited by cbpersel on Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidO.

Post by DavidO. »

I think I will just go for the LP10. I've read most of the reviews on it with a comparable amount on other models too. I'll be sure to send a email on my thoughts about the LP10. Its quite a price tag, but you only live once. Thanks.
near miss

FWB M34 vs M 103 (or even the M40?)

Post by near miss »

When the FWB M 34 was introduced a few years back, I had the opportunity, in a competition, to fire at the firing point next to (to the right of) the famous Martin Tenk. He had just acquired a then new FWB M 34. He fired an astouning 588 with the gun right out of the box! (By the way, I have never seen anybody with a steady hand like his. And neither anybody aim the gun so long befor firing. 20- 25 seconds or more.)
I was impressed by the M 34, and got a gun right from the importer at a heavy discount to promote the gun. I did very well with the gun at first, say the first year or about 15.000 shots.
But then I noticed that the groups did open up a bit, mostly vertical. It was determined that the recoil-reducing device, the "absorber" was to blame. Cleaning this device helped a bit, but the problem persisted. Others have had similar experienses.

The FWB factory is now bringing out the new M 40. The importer have promised he will handle over to me the first one to arrive in this country.
I have always considered the FWB guns to be well made guns. My experience with FWB started decades back with the oddly looking side-cocking M 65!
I am confident that the problems with the absorbers are overcome with this new model.

By the way, the M 103 is a nice gun, albait a little heavy. I think the cocking handle is detachable, though. No pump, no scuba tank, no fuss. Just the labour of cocking the gun (compressisng the air) before every shot.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

DavidO. wrote:Its quite a price tag, but you only live once. Thanks.
Money is designed for spending.