Free rifle stock for Rem 700

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Robert

Free rifle stock for Rem 700

Post by Robert »

Would you advise where I can find a Free Rifle stock that allows Remington 700 action to fit in?

Thank you in advance.
Jim B

Free Rifle Stock for Remington 700

Post by Jim B »

You might want to check with H&S Precision. They make the stock for the M24 Sniper Weapon System. You could also check with Robertson Composites out of Ontario. Then there's McMillian. Check them out. They all have Websites.

Jim
milanuk

Post by milanuk »

AFAIK, there are no 'free rifle' stocks for any domestic (U.S.) centerfire actions. HS Precision makes BR, hunting, and tactical stocks, nothing even remotely resembling position shooting stocks.

That said, there are a number of pretty good 3-position and Prone stocks available. Keep in mind that NRA HighPower XTC and LR (what most of these stocks are 'built' for) doesn't allow free-rifle butt hooks, plates, palm rests, etc. so they aren't quite as zoot-capri as you might like

McMillan http://www.mcmfamily.com/mfsinc_n/index.html
McGee http://mcgeestocks.m2design.org
Master Class http://www.masterclassstocks.com
Elk Ridge http://www.reamerrentals.com/elkridge2.htm
Richard's Microfithttp://rifle-stocks.com/

Decent metal stocks that fit a modern centerfire action that aren't largely one-off custom jobs are similarly about as rare as hen's teeth. The Zelenak's haven't been made for years, the Tube Gun kits (tubular receiver that encases a round action such as a Remington 700) takes AR Spacegun stock parts, and... there ain't a whole lot else that I know of. If you find something, let me know!!!

Monte
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

milanuk wrote:AFAIK, there are no 'free rifle' stocks for any domestic (U.S.) centerfire actions. HS Precision makes BR, hunting, and tactical stocks, nothing even remotely resembling position shooting stocks.

That said, there are a number of pretty good 3-position and Prone stocks available. Keep in mind that NRA HighPower XTC and LR (what most of these stocks are 'built' for) doesn't allow free-rifle butt hooks, plates, palm rests, etc. so they aren't quite as zoot-capri as you might like

Monte
Hi Monte

I don't know if they would do it, but I would ask both McGee and Masterclass to put the Anschutz butt assemblies on a stock so that you could use the butt hooks etc. The Master class XTC does come with a rail, so the palm rest would be easy enough. McGee too.

Mike

Post by Guest »

This may be an expensive suggestion, and not quite what you had in mind. HPS the makers of the System Gemini stocks, market the TR701 and TR702; these are machined aluminium stocks with adjustable cheekpieces and butts. The 701 has a hanging pistol grip. They come with the gemini activ, though the free rifle hook butt could probably be added.

They are mostly intended for Uk NRA prone, but you might be able to use it for 3 x 40. They will take the remington 700 action.

Hope this helps

Tim S, Exeter UK

P.S their web adress is www.hps-tr.co.uk
rbs

Remington stock

Post by rbs »

Robert,
Email me, I might have a Remington stock that would work for you.
rjserv4@aol.com
milanuk

Post by milanuk »

Robert,

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you want a free-rifle stock for a 700 for anyway? I know the butthooks and palm rests aren't legal for NRA Highpower matches, so I'm kind of interested in what venue you are looking at.

I've seen a couple shooters w/ the System Gemini stocks at a recent match... Northwest International Prone match (20 shots each at 300, 500, 600yds, two days, then a third day of 3 relays @ 600yds in a team format), Keith Martin (HM) and Mike Maurer (HM, and Palma team member). Unbelievable stocks, but w/ the current exchange rate I think they aresomething like $2000 just for the stock. Ouch!

Starting to see a few more metal stocks on the line, from the Zelenaks popping up again (Gary Rasmussen, Palma team coach) to Tubb 2K's to others that are one-off designs. Btwn the different rules in NRA Highpower (about the only dang thing they restrict is the buttplate and the palmrest for Match Rifles), the different time limits and number of shots, and whatnot, I think people accept more compromises in the stock designs than with a true 'free rifle'. The T2K is about as close as it gets, and it comes w/ one and only one choice of action. I think this is part of the reason the AR space guns are so popular (besides being a natural progression for the AR Service Rifle shooters) as they offer as much or more flexibility w/ the right buttstock as any wooden stocked bolt gun.

Again, I think the market is starving for a reasonably priced fully adjustable 3-position aluminum stock that would accept any U.S. centerfire cylindrical action (Remington, Savage, Winchester). Added bonus for our games would be drop-magazine fed for the Rapids. Another couple that are out there are the Sinclair Prone stock, and the Sinclair/CG Millenium, and the Ross Precision, but these are all oriented around prone, and one action only for each.

This is something I've been digging around in a *lot* as of late, as I'm really not liking how things are working out w/ my straight-taper XTC stock. There are some metal stock options out there, like I said, but most are expensive enough I might as well just sell my gun as is and make the jump to the T2K; the cost would work out about the same :(

Monte
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

What would be so difficult about getting an Anschutz stock and inletting it for a rem 700? I hear the AMU does this for 300m. As far as NRA HP shooting goes I always thought if I tried it i would find an early 90's anschutz 1907 standard rifle stock and put a rem 700 into it. I am pretty sure that Neal Johnson's puts cf actions into Anschutz stocks maybe they'd do a rem 700 that way for you. Also check Alex Sitman. As I recall on his web site he had a free rifle stock that he makes I figure he would put a 700 into it. I saw a Sitman free rifle stock at a match this past weekend and I liked it very much.
milanuk

Post by milanuk »

Dunno. How much does an Anschutz stock run as far as $$$? I guess the one thing that might be a catch is if the belly of the stock extends too far down (more than 3-1/4" = Palm rest by the rules) though that can be trimmed down I guess.

If you can point me at where on the Master Class stocks site (Alex Sitman's page) they have a free rifle stock, I'd be interested. I have his XTC stock at the moment. Nice enough stock, but after using it, and then messing around w/ a Prone stock, I think I like the vertical pistol grip much much better.

Thanks,

Monte
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Neal J. has a 2007 stock that is a standard rifle stock like I am thinking: http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/UsedStock.html

I have two of these but for a round action (54) not the square action. I just measured one of them and found that the low part of the forearm, by the trigger guard, is 3-1/4" below the center of the bore. The butt plate on these is very clever too. You get sort of a hook but still the curvature is not more than 1/2" or so.

I can't remember what Sitman's site is but I recon a Google search for Master Class Stocks would find it. He did have a pic of his free rifle stock on there.
milanuk

Post by milanuk »

Now that 2007 does look pretty spanky, and about what I'd like to try. Not sure where the bolt handle would fall relative to the slot cutout once all the fiddling w/ the bedding was done. That, and it'd have to have the buttstock adjustment gutted. No time for dinking around w/ spacers. Not sure how the cheekpiece adjustment is done, but similarly, one of the annoyances of HP XTC is the whopping 3 minutes you get for prep time, and that includes everything.

As far as MasterClass... I linked his site above. I've spent a fair amount of time looking at his stocks, and the 'Highpower Match' model is the one I have at the moment, not sure if that is what you are considering a 'free rifle' stock. The 'Potbelly' design from McGee is next on my list at the moment; either that or get a blank, not even semi-inletted or rough shaped at all, and spend a lot of quality time w/ a Dremel, rasp, and file. and 'make' something similar to the 2007 shown above. Might have to call Gunsmithing, Inc. and see if there are any actual bugaboos about modifying the 2007 stocks for HP (it might get kinda ugly if the stock cracks at the pistol grip under recoil).

Post by Guest »

On older 1907 (and 2007s too) the cheekpiece is adjusted by bolts that run down to the bottom of the stock. Not brilliant I know, but they were designed to comply with UIT standard rifle rules, which heavily restricted what adjustment you could make and when.

If you want a free rifle you would be much better off adapting an Anschutz xx13 stock rather than the more limited xx07.

Tim S

Exeter UK
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

milanuk wrote:...

As far as MasterClass... I linked his site above. I've spent a fair amount of time looking at his stocks, and the 'Highpower Match' model is the one I have at the moment, not sure if that is what you are considering a 'free rifle' stock. The 'Potbelly' design from McGee is next on my list at the moment; either that or get a blank, not even semi-inletted or rough shaped at all, and spend a lot of quality time w/ a Dremel, rasp, and file. and 'make' something similar to the 2007 shown above.
Hi Monte

Do you have a link to what is considered to be a free rifle? I've looked at Palma Rifles, Highpower Match guns, Prone guns, Sniper stocks, and F-class (now XTC Optical class?), but I'm not sure of the difference(s) that are made between a Free rifle and highpower. I know that Free rifle and Smallbore do allow hooks where highpower doesn't. Unfortunately, that pretty much covers it.

Thanks

Mike
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Contact Mike Ross, at Ross Precision.

I believe he can inlet his aluminum free rifle stock to fit a M700.

http://www.rossprecision.com/
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

mikeschroeder wrote:
milanuk wrote:...

As far as MasterClass... I linked his site above. I've spent a fair amount of time looking at his stocks, and the 'Highpower Match' model is the one I have at the moment, not sure if that is what you are considering a 'free rifle' stock. The 'Potbelly' design from McGee is next on my list at the moment; either that or get a blank, not even semi-inletted or rough shaped at all, and spend a lot of quality time w/ a Dremel, rasp, and file. and 'make' something similar to the 2007 shown above.
Hi Monte

Do you have a link to what is considered to be a free rifle? I've looked at Palma Rifles, Highpower Match guns, Prone guns, Sniper stocks, and F-class (now XTC Optical class?), but I'm not sure of the difference(s) that are made between a Free rifle and highpower. I know that Free rifle and Smallbore do allow hooks where highpower doesn't. Unfortunately, that pretty much covers it.

Thanks

Mike
Mike, a 300 Meter Free Rifle is identical to an ISSF 50 Meter Smallbore Rifle with the exception of the caliber.
milanuk

Post by milanuk »

http://www.champchoice.com/detail.php?item=2006875

or

http://www.champchoice.com/detail.php?item=2000970

is what I had pictured in my mind as a 'free rifle'.

Jose,

I thought the Ross stock was more of a dedicated Prone gun? Would it have the movement needed in the directions necessary for Sitting and Offhand?

Monte
Robert

Post by Robert »

Thank you all.
To follow up with the question regarding to what I am shooting for with 700 and Free Rifle stock, I shoot 300 meter 3 P. I just got kicked hard last weekend and determined that I have to get a stock that helps me to relax and learn into solid form for this 300 Meter game.

Most of the shooters were shooting some form of customized stock, and others brought their "Gernicque". Please excuse my spelling. Then, you know the cost of such fine piece.

Well, the rifle I have now is grouping great on bench for testing rounds, but it is a struggle to change from position to position without the option of butt length, angle tilt, cheek piece fitting, and of course the look.

I did get the chance of visiting Master Class; and they looked good. I will get more research about the fit and cost.

Truly appreciated.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

milanuk wrote:http://www.champchoice.com/detail.php?item=2006875

or

http://www.champchoice.com/detail.php?item=2000970

is what I had pictured in my mind as a 'free rifle'.

Jose,

I thought the Ross stock was more of a dedicated Prone gun? Would it have the movement needed in the directions necessary for Sitting and Offhand?

Monte
Monte, the Ross stock has all the adjustments needed to shoot from any position. It is marketed as a prone stock here because we do not shoot ISSF 300 M much at all. In fact, the adjustments and range of adjustment between a Sitman XTC and a Sitman Prone stock are identical. The only difference is the deep belly of the XTC stock, and that's there only because NRA rules do not allow a palm rest. A Sitman prone stock will work just fine for 300 M 3P, all it might need is a hook buttplate and a palm rest. Same for the Ross.

Here's two shots of a Grunig & Elmiger free rifle

With an Anschutz aluminum stock and G&E adapter:

And with an Anschutz wood stock:
milanuk

Post by milanuk »

Wow. Drool factor!!

Anybody you know of making an adapter block like that for a Rem700 or something similar to an Anschutz stock?

I can think of some ways to make one using a mold and some Devcon or AcraGlass, though access (and knowledge) to a CNC milling machine would probably be better.

<sigh> Think I'm just going to stick w/ the Sitman XTC stock for now, unless I get bored this winter and pick up a McGee Potbelly stock. The vertical pistol grip on a Prone stock is just so comfortable compared to that big arch on the XTC stock it's not even funny. Like you mentioned about the Prone stock being largely the same as some of the free rifle stocks w/o the palm rest... I've been playing w/ that idea too. I've got a McMillan Prone stock on a 40X in .308 (new Broughton 5C barrel should be in next week), that was for some reason or another inletted for a BDL floorplate and magazine well. It handles really well even offhand w/ that 30" barrel, and it's *really* tempting to give it a go just once or twice. Couple of drop-box magazines setups for the Rem700BDL that would make things extra interesting ;)

Monte
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

milanuk wrote:Anybody you know of making an adapter block like that for a Rem700 or something similar to an Anschutz stock?
Hmmmm, no, I don't know of anyone who makes adapters for common action (Rem, Win) to fit an Anschutz stock. Mike Ross might, or he might take it on himself. One never knows if one doesn't ask, right?

So you find the prone stock's grip more comfortable than the XTC's grip? I don't have enough experience with prone stocks to know.

You know, if you read the NRA palm rest rules, you CAN use a palm rest on a match rifle IF the bottom of it (where your hand goes) is no more than 3 1/4" below the centerline of the bore.

If you are handy with woodworking tools, you can make one from a block of wood and the hardware that attaches to the handstop rail.