Newbie question on hand pumps

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JimJ

Newbie question on hand pumps

Post by JimJ »

The only real knock I have seen against using hand pumps to charge air pistols, is that it is quite a work out, and you wouldn't want an aerobic workout just before shooting.

I was wondering how long can you leave the tanks on the guns charged. If you pumped them up the day before, would they still be good to go the next day?

Thanks ---- JimJ
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

i use a scuba tank, and except when the gun was flying on airplanes the cylinders have never been empty.

I hope I'm not doing anything wrong....

Poole
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Jim,
Cylinders will hold their pressure almost indeffinately. As to whether or not they should be left for longer periods of time, that is another question. Short periods are deffinately fine.

The other problem is hand pumps is they generate moisture. You need to bleed the hand pumps on a frequent basis to drain out the water that collects in them - I generally leave mine permananetly open, but like the previous poster I now use a scuba tank.

Rob.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

My Hill Pump (from Pilkington's) works well. The bleed instructions are easy to follow. They supposedly have some beads inside that traps the moisture, I don't know if they work or not. I won't know for 10 years if my cylinders get corroded or not.

The cylinders will hold a charge for a long time. My 2 year old Steyr cylinders can go several weeks with no noticable loss. Unscrew them 1 turn from the gun so that the cylinder valve closes. The regulator in the airgun might (will) leak much faster.

Steve T
JimJ

Post by JimJ »

Thanks all.
Nano

pump air

Post by Nano »

Jim:
I live in La Paz, Bolivia, here we are at 3600 meters above the sea level.
I shoot Tuesday and Thursday, in the club there is an publish pump that I use (there is a boy that gets paid to pump because the compressors doesn't work in this height, therefore they can not be filled the scuba tanks), therefore accent the cylinder loaded with Tuesday until Thursday and from Thursday until Tuesday, and absolutely anything doesn't exist of lost of pressure, I leave it in 200 bar and I find it in 200 bar.

Nano