Comparison of MG2, SP, and GSP for rapid fire

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
race1911

Comparison of MG2, SP, and GSP for rapid fire

Post by race1911 »

Could someone please give me their experiences comparing the Matchguns MG2, Pardini SP, and Walther GSP in regards to siutability for rapid fire competition..........thanks
RJP

In my opinion...

Post by RJP »

which is based on having to use a standard pistol for rapid fire for many years, is that soft ammunition and a low bore line are most important.

I used my S&W 41 for most of the late 80's and all through the 90's. Yes, standard pistol shooters are at a big disadvantage in rapid fire, mainly in recovery from muzzle rise in preparation for the next shot. The S&W 41 bore is about 3/4 inch above the web of the hand betwen the thumb and first finger. This forced me to use a very firm grip, about the same as I use for .45 bullseye shooting.

I wanted to use a .22 short that was reliable, so in 2001 I finally bought a Unique DES/VO. What a difference, no muzzle rise, 6 ounce trigger. This was almost too easy. Then the rules changed.

I also have a IZH 35 that I can almost shoot as well as the DES/VO. The low bore line of the IZH 35 makes muzzle rise almost nill. Add soft shooting ammunition that will function through the gun and the effect is almost the same as with the DES/VO.

I have only examined the guns listed above. I have not fired any of the three you mentioned. But the MG2 seems to be the closest to what I would look for in a standard pistol used for rapid fire. The bore is very low and I have dry fired the trigger. The MG2 trigger is the softest 1 kg trigger I have ever felt.

Both the Pardini and Walther have magazines in front of the trigger, which gives those pistols a muzzle heavy feeling that some people do not like when swinging from one target to the next. The Pardini does have a very low bore line and is my second choice. The Walther GSP bore is too high.