IZH-46M Tips?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ricabrera

IZH-46M Tips?

Post by ricabrera »

I just got a new IZH-46M. I would appreciate any tips "besides working with the grips" anyone can give me. How about maintenance?
mjfa

Almost no maintenance

Post by mjfa »

Air guns need almost no regular maintenance apart of wiping it with an oiled rag after each use. More airguns are damaged for lubing than for not lubing at all. From a little experience as an airgunner, my maintenance schedule is as follows:

1. Wipe the exterior metal parts with a soft cotton cloth dampened with Beeman's MP5 Metalophilic Oil, after each use.

2. When new and after every 2,000-3,000 rounds clean the bore from the breech end with a bore snake (nylon string with a brass threaded end for brushes and patch jags) using a patch dampened with MP5 and then with several dry patches until they come out dry and clean.

3. Lubricate the cocking linkage pivot points with Moly paste once when new and if ever it becomes dry.

4. ONE drop of Silicone oil, or better yet Abbey SM50, through the transfer port every 3,000-5,000 rounds or if ever it becomes dry.

5. Rub a little Silicone grease to the bolt O'rings whenever they become dry.

6. Lots of shooting with high quality pellets.

ricabrera

Post by ricabrera »

That sound great! Love your grip. I'm pretty good with the dremel, so I'm going to costum fit my grips. Hope you don't mind me copying your design because it just to kool. What kind of finish did you give the wood? Also I'm from Puerto Rico and I purchase everything over the web because it's tuff to get most airgun things down here. Airguns are starting to take a surge since airgun laws down here changed for the best! Where can I get these lubs on the web?
PS: I'll post pics as soon as I finish.
mjfa

It is nice to meet a fellow countryman airguner...

Post by mjfa »

I am at San Juan. Where are you at?
Before starting to shape the grips I suggest you to read two articles on the subject that are available on the Nygord's Notes at Don Nygord's web site http://www.nygord-precision.com/
When working the grips go slow and easy with the Dremel. First hold the pistol as when shooting and trace your hand hold with a pencil (it is better to remove the grip shelf before). Note the points of pressure and where it feels uncomfortable or awkward. Remove the grips from the pistol and put back together the two halves with one of the screws. Start shaping it with a small sanding drum on the Dremel taking very little amounts of wood at a time and testing the fit on your hand. When satisfied with the fit you may separate the two halves and stipple it with a small ball point cutter, sand the whole grips with 150 and 220 grit sandpaper and rub a coat of danish oil. Let it dry overnight, then apply a little Minwax paste wax, buff, and put them back on the gun.
I got the Bore Snake, the MP5 oil and the Moly paste from Straight Shooters, the Abbey SM50 from Beeman Australia (but think Randy Bimrose sell it) and the Silicone grease from a local SCUBA shop. You may also check with our host Pilkgington Competition.

Salud y Suerte,

Manuel Ferrán
ricabrera

Post by ricabrera »

The world is sure small. I live in Bayamon, I'm the MIS for Televicentro de Puerto Rico "channel 4". I also have a house in Isabela, thats where I do most of my shooting with my Airforce Condor .22 cal. I used to do woodworking as a hobby and some wood carving with the dremmel so the carving wont be any trouble. Thanks for the tips on finishing. here's my email feel free to contactme whenever you wish. ricardo.cabrera@wapa-tv.com.

Saludos y Gracias!

Ricardo Cabrera
JoeG

IZH pointer...

Post by JoeG »

Ricardo,
One tip I would recommend is when you are finished shooting and ready to put the pistol away is to release the breech cover. This is easily accomplished by pushing forward on the sliding mechanism just in front of the the breech, this will release the cover so it is not locked down as it would be when you are ready to fire. The idea which was gotten from a review Tom Gaylord wrote in his Airgun Letter is to prevent the breech seals from taking a set by not leaving them under pressure when the gun is not in use. I have had my original IZH-46 for over five years and at least 40,000 pellets through it and the only thing I had to fix on it was to replace the small spring that was part of the older breech cover. A cut down spring from a ballpoint pen has served well as a replacement. Have gun, Joe G.
JoeG

excuse me, have "FUN", Joe G....

Post by JoeG »

must have been tired.
PASA008

IZH adjust the trigger pull length

Post by PASA008 »

A hint, if the length of pull is too long or short, you may adjust it, but many have problems loosening the screw to slide the trigger back & forth. Put a vice grip (gently) just below the screw in the trigger, and snug it up just enough to take the presure off the screw. Once you clamp down and lower the strain presure on the screw you can loosen it easily. I have heard of some stripping out the screw head if you don't take the presure off it.

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys!
scout18

Post by scout18 »

It is so nice to see others posting on their IZH experience. I was wondering how your scores are. Do you shoot events and how doyou do compared to others in your area? My PR is 540 so far. I have not shot for a couple of months due to work changes, but I can see the potential in this pistol for much higher scores.

JoeG

Post by Guest »

Although I do not shoot my IZH as my main gun for competitions any longer it is certainly capable of top scores. One of the fellows I shoot with consistently shoots in the 550+ range with his. Last year he purchased a a new Hammerli AP40 but found he still did better with the IZH. He sold the Hammerli and still uses the IZH for all his competitions. The main thing to keep in mind is that your final choice of what works best for you is a very personal consideration.
oscar2

trigger

Post by oscar2 »

sorry for sending this again its my first time on this forum, it didn't seem to send.
Should the trigger lean to one side on a new IZH46M
nematode

IZH46M rear sight

Post by nematode »

The rear sight on my new 46M has to be adjusted by sliding it far to the right, so much so, that the sight is just barely attached to the gun. The gun then shoots extemely accurately. It just looks incongruous to have that sight moved so far over. Anybody else have this "problem"?
Mack

Post by Mack »

My PB with the IZH-46M is a 565. My PB with my LP10 that I've had for 2 years is ...well....err...not that high. Like they say, you can't buy points. Enjoy!
scout18

Post by scout18 »

Nema, I did have that trouble withthe rear sight. Check the front sight blade and make sure that it is properly in line and tight. I did have to fool around with both ends a bit.
DavidO.

IZH46 vs. LP10 purchase

Post by DavidO. »

I purchased a IZH46M four months ago, shooting a score in the 480 to 490. I have researched the LP10 with Pilkguns.com and I am thinking about purchasing that model. I live in Montevideo, Uruguay and we have an air pistol club here. One of our members won a bronze in the Pan American games, he is very proud of it. Every member has a FWB or Steyr model pistol. I am the only one with a IZH-46m. They are impressed, because its very difficult to get air pistols down here. I have buyers offering me above the $270 purchase price. Should I sell it and buy the LP10, I do love the sport, its great for focusing. Need advice?
scout18

Post by scout18 »

Hi David, I would suppose it would depend on if youcould buythe lp 10 for the price of the sale of the IZH46. I like mine alot. I like the time it takes to operate the lever and load the pistol. I shoot much slower than if I just have to load and shoot. I think about my process more if I have more steps to take. I wouold not mind trying an lp 10 or FWB or morini. Anyone want to sponsor an up and coming shooter?
akkelly

Re: IZH46 vs. LP10 purchase

Post by akkelly »

It really depends on what you want. If your question is will the Steyr buy you some more points, maybe a few. At 480-490 you are barely holding the black and the IZH is capable of much better. Two trains of thought prevail, buy what you will end up with anyway avoiding all the intermediate stops along the way, or stick with what you have until you have taken it as far as it will go. The choice is ultimately up to you. Best of luck!
DavidO. wrote:I purchased a IZH46M four months ago, shooting a score in the 480 to 490. I have researched the LP10 with Pilkguns.com and I am thinking about purchasing that model. I live in Montevideo, Uruguay and we have an air pistol club here. One of our members won a bronze in the Pan American games, he is very proud of it. Every member has a FWB or Steyr model pistol. I am the only one with a IZH-46m. They are impressed, because its very difficult to get air pistols down here. I have buyers offering me above the $270 purchase price. Should I sell it and buy the LP10, I do love the sport, its great for focusing. Need advice?