Prescription eyewear and shooting glasses

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

sodeman

Prescription eyewear and shooting glasses

Post by sodeman »

I have a question regarding shooting glasses for air pistol. I am really nearsighted (canot see without my glasses). What options would I have for visual aids, i.e. an iris affixed to the fron of my glasses vs prescription lenses in a pair of Vargas. Does anyone have any advice?
iandavid

prescription eyewear and shooting glasses

Post by iandavid »

Hi,

My personal and professional opinion is that you should use a shooting frame like Varga or Champions etc. The reason is that the lens in the shooting frame can be set up so you are looking through the optical centre of the lens ( which may not happen with your ordinary specs), also to enable focusing on the sights you can make the lens slightly more plussed ( ie add about +0.50DS to your standard distance prescription) . This stops you trying to focus on the target and the sights simultaneously, which the eye cannot do.

Using an adjustable iris with the above may also help.

Regards

Ian Hodgson - Isle of Man (offshore UK)
Pistol shooter and Optometrist
Mac

Post by Mac »

You have received good advice. I am more comfortable when shooting centerfire to have a pair of safety glasses with the main lens cut so as to focus on the sights (plus a bit) and a small, lower insert so that I can look at close details (when not shooting). Makes a world of difference.
Eventually, something will come back to your face. Mac
steve.h

Bringing this topic back up for discussion

Post by steve.h »

I know this discussion is a few years old, but I'm wondering how everyone's vision concerns have resolved. I'm a seasoned shooter with bad eyesight myself, and have a few tips of people are still interested. I would love to hear more about the solutions other older shooters have found!

-Steve
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Ordinary glasses are OK...but the best option is a pair of dedicated shooting glasses. Your shooting prescription works fine for close-up work.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I have a custom solution

I have standard B&L type frame with the following setup

right aiming eye; RX to focus on the front sight and still be able to see the bull

left non-aiming eye; normal distance RX so I can see where I'm walking

On both lenses I have a small bifocal section at the bottom, so I can read things on the AP/AR or the bench.

I think the lens is made of the polycarbonate. I told the eye doc, I wanted max safety protection...just in case.

This setup gives me eye protection both for air and CF.
Protection is important even in air. I had pellet hit the edge of the trap and bounce back and hit me on the cheek, an inch below my eye. I was glad that I was wearing the safety shooting glasses. Yeah that was a BAD shot, but bad shots happen.
paulo

Post by paulo »

Have you tried your old prescription eye glasses.
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

Post by Guest »

I know a guy that has a lens holder that he can clip onto his prescription glasses. Does anyone know where one of these could be obtained?
paulo

Post by paulo »

There are fancier ways of doing it, but this works for me, and you can then use a varga lens holder to make it easier to get standard size lens cut in various prescriptions.
http://www.harborfreight.com/165x-jewel ... 94364.html
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

Paulo,

I never thought I would see a link to Harbor Freight on this forum! But thanks, that lense holder could work, and for peanuts!

I will never use the International style shooting glasses as the provide inadequate eye protection. And since I also shoot .45 ACP service pistol (iron sights required) in addition to International, I do want good eye protection.

So I get standard glasses, with lenses that focus on the front sight (with bifocal readers). My eye doc lets me bring in a pistol for my annual eye exams.

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!
Slo cat

Post by Guest »

paulo wrote:There are fancier ways of doing it, but this works for me, and you can then use a varga lens holder to make it easier to get standard size lens cut in various prescriptions.
http://www.harborfreight.com/165x-jewel ... 94364.html
Fantastic!!!! I've been looking for this for a long time. Thank you paulo!
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

For the VERY picky shooter, you should be aware that the more layers that light must bend through before it gets to your eye(s), the more distortion present. I can tell a difference (easily) when adding a 2nd layer of optics and hate it. So, the smartest 2 options are a pair of $$$ shooting glasses with the right lens for your corrective vision + something around .50 (I actually found .66 was right for me ~ though I suspect that the tolerance for error pushed mine back towards .50). Or a regular pair of glasses with the appropriately adjusted lenses. I actually went the second route myself and spent $75 on a pair of frames with super high index, scratch resistant lenses because I like the "safety" feature.

I don't find I have any issues looking through the "sweet spot" on my glasses for pistol, but rifle is a whole different ball of wax. Good thing I don't shoot rifle anymore. :D
Az_Speed

Superfocus

Post by Az_Speed »

Expensive option but how much is good eyesight worth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of51w7iXEJs&NR=1