Bevel vs flat base

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

longfellow

Bevel vs flat base

Post by longfellow »

I am almost out of my supply of Zero 200 grain lswc's. They were a huge order placed years ago and are all flat based. After quite a bit of recent struggle with bevel based 158's for my model 14, I melted them all down and used the metal to cast my own Lyman 358311 which shoot under two inches at fifty yards- no complaints naturally. That's a flat based design. It could have been the bevel, the casting quality, the lube, or something else but it is the only experience I have with BB bullets and it isn't flattering.
On the eve of needing to place another bulk order of 45 cal. 200's and with no experience with bevel based bullets in the 45, I am asking for those guys with Ransom Rests or with M/HM classifications for their experiences with 45 cal BB in both 200 and 185. Ideally of course would be BB vs FB results with the SAME brand so we have a reasonable expectation of equal casting quality, hardness, lube quality, sizing diameter... Please also mention the BRAND that you have found to be accurate. Even if you know of some FB bullets that are in stock somewhere, I'd like have the added flexibility to shoot either style.
Thanks guys.
dulcmr-man

Re: Bevel vs flat base

Post by dulcmr-man »

I'm following. I've been loading Brazos 180gr flat-base coated bullets, but those are no longer available. Would be nice to find another supplier with an identical bullet of equal quality.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It has been many years since I competed with a .45, so I have nothing to back up this statement any longer. At the time, I would NEVER use BB bullets.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

I have several moulds that are bevel base and flat base.

I have recorded X-ring groups at 50 yards with both designs at 50 yards with a mechanical rest.

The important factor is the quality of the bullet.

If you buy "commercial cast" once they are sized/greased it is difficult, if not impossible, to ferret out the culls.

Some vendors will sell you "as cast" bullets. Now, you can inspect them for quality and size/grease the "keepers" for tournament use. The culls are good for practice and 25 yard shooting.

Cheers,

Dave