Anschutz Sight Riser

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pthatcher

Anschutz Sight Riser

Post by pthatcher »

I recently placed an Anschutz 8mm riser under my Anschutz 7020 rear sight on my 1907. This afforded me a much more comfortable head position and improved line of sight. However, it drastically changes the point of impact at 50 meters. I actually have a difficult time re-sighting the rifle. Does the addition of the riser increase or decrease the elevation? Seems like a basic question I know but I'm not absolutely sure on this. Anyone happen to know by how much the elevation is altered? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Tim S

Re: Anschutz Sight Riser

Post by Tim S »

Patcher,

Did you put a raiser under the foresight too? If you didn't, your problem is likely trying (and failing?) to click the rearsight down 8mm. When you want to raise your head (and the sightline) you need a pair of raisers.

You'd need a raiser under the rearsight only if you were running out of clicks, typically at 100yds, or after switching to a taller rearsight (eg 22mm from 18mm). You might put a raiser under the foresight only to compensate for a lower foresight, or an extension tube.
maltesers99

Post by maltesers99 »

Placing a raiser just on the rear will not change your head position, but will help you gain more elevation adjustability as Tim says.

Assuming you have 8mm on both the rear and the front, your shot will land lower than without any raisers anyway as your sightline hasn't changed, but your barrel is now 8mm lower. Unless you end up running out of elevation when winding back up to the bull, it's not something to worry about.
JerryJ

Post by JerryJ »

If you only put the riser under the rear sight, it is the equivalent of clicking your rear sight up 8 mm. This is the equivalent of clicking up to move your point of impact higher on the target.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

If my math (and AutoCAD) is correct, if you have a 26" sight radius and you add an 8mm riser to only the rear sight, you would be high by 22 3/8" at 50 meters from your original zero.

If you have an 8mm riser under both the front and rear sights, you will be 5/16" low.
Last edited by Shooterer on Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Shooterer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:50 pm If my math (and AutoCAD) is correct, if you have a 26" sight radius and you add an 8mm riser to only the rear sight, you would be low by 22 3/8" at 50 meters from your original zero.
Shouldn't that be high? Raising only the rearsight raises the POI.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Thanks, Tim, for catching my fat finger typing. I fixed it.
High Left

Post by High Left »

Don't recall exactly how much, 7 or 8mm, but I made a riser for mine to go from 50 to 200 yds without adjusting the sight.

Lowering the front, like a LR rifle, is a better option. Keeps the cheek piece adjustment the same.