Scuba tank setup for air pistol cylinder refills

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gn303

Re: Scuba tank setup for air pistol cylinder refills

Post by gn303 »

The best solutions for filling the PCP tanks is the scuba tank. Either rent (as Rover suggests) or buy one. If you look around on the 2nd hand market, make sure the tank is proofed. Normally the check-up is valid for 3 years to 5 years, depending on the use of the tank. A regular 200 Bar tank will do as most pistol cylinders are limited to 200 Bar. Fein P8X holds a 200 Bar cylinder. Umarex is also offering a mini-compressor for personal use at about $600.But I don't know how good these are.
Good shooting.
brent375hh

Re: Scuba tank setup for air pistol cylinder refills

Post by brent375hh »

I used a scuba tank for 3 decades, and still have it. A year ago I bought a Hill pump to try.
I read the directions and pumped slow and steady to get to 200 bar in my two Steyrs. Hill stated to pump slow enough not to feel any heat buildup. I had read about moisture issues, and was concerned to start with.
A year later, now, I disassembled my pump and the regulators in both guns. I can't find any sign of moisture in all three areas. Either my basement is really dry, both summer and winter, pumping slow is the answer, or the drypac feature works better than I think it could.
It takes 40 strokes that I pump in about 2 minutes. I refill my cylinder after every 120 shots, and I am still at about 100 bar at that point.
I was skeptical at first, but I am now a convert. Pumping does require effort, but it is a lot easier for me than carrying a 80 cf tank.up the stairs, out to my car, then a 20 drive for a fill.
The cost of tank rental during the hydro testing, can be expensive, and that was my initial decision to try the pump.