ISSF pistol shooting at risk in Canada?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Leon

ISSF pistol shooting at risk in Canada?

Post by Leon »

Trudeau -

“What this means is that it will no longer be possible to buy, sell, transfer or import handguns anywhere in Canada,” he said. “In other words, we’re capping the market for handguns.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... dguns.html
Spencer

Re: ISSF pistol shooting at risk in Canada?

Post by Spencer »

Does anyone know what is actually happening in Canada (as opposed to media 'reports')?
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

Nobody will be allowed to acquire any handguns (new or used), with an exception for Olympic disciplines. The proposed statute says the ban on acquisition does "not apply in respect of an individual who .... meets the prescribed criteria and provides a letter to a chief firearms officer from a provincial or national sport shooting governing body indicating:

(i) that they are training, competing or coaching in a handgun shooting discipline that is on the programme of the International Olympic Committee or the International Paralympic Committee,

(ii) the disciplines in which they train, compete or coach, and

(iii) that the handgun in question is necessary for training, competing or coaching in those disciplines."

Note that this exception applies only to IOC recognized events -- currently, the two men's and women's 25m, 22LR pistol events. There's no mention of other ISSF pistol events, ie 50m Free Pistol, 25m Centre Fire, or 25m Std Pistol. That omission is either from sheer ignorance, or a desire not to provide a means for people to acquire CF pistols under this exemption.

We are hopeful that this reference to IOC programme disciplines will take in local club events. The governing bodies they're talking about are the Shooting Federation of Canada (ISSF-affiliated) and the related bodies in each province that oversee sanctioned events in ISSF disciplines.

So for example if and when I decide I deserve a brand new Pardini SP to supplant my beloved Unique DES 69, I'm going to have to get the national shooting federation to write me a nice letter confirming that I'm competing in IOC-recognized events. That'll go to the Chief Firearms Officer, the government official who issues firearm licenses (and takes them away if you misbehave). God only knows how long that'll take. It'll be interesting to see whether these changes increase ISSF shooting in Canada, since that'll be the only way for new shooters to get any kind of handgun. Right now, we're vastly outnumbered by those doing IPSC and the other tactical disciplines. They can keep their current handguns, but they can't get any more.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

If the law is put into effect, what happens when the original owner passes on? Since "transfers" are forbidden, the next of kin cannot inherit. Does the government get the guns? What about compensation?

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
renzo

Post by renzo »

dulcmr-man wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:34 am If the law is put into effect, what happens when the original owner passes on? Since "transfers" are forbidden, the next of kin cannot inherit. Does the government get the guns? What about compensation?

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
FWIW, in my country this is exactly what happens. Inheritors must find an authorized (licensed) buyer (who will pay it knowing he's one of the few who can), or turn them to the government for a meager compensation.

Any doubts about what's coming, feel free to ask me. I'm living in YOUR future.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

renzo wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:49 am
dulcmr-man wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:34 am If the law is put into effect, what happens when the original owner passes on? Since "transfers" are forbidden, the next of kin cannot inherit. Does the government get the guns? What about compensation?

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
FWIW, in my country this is exactly what happens. Inheritors must find an authorized (licensed) buyer (who will pay it knowing he's one of the few who can), or turn them to the government for a meager compensation.

The inevitable result of compromising for "reasonable" restrictions. Once you accept the premise that restrictions will do some good, when they don't you've forfeited the logical ability to object to further restrictions, since you've already accepted the premise that restrictions will help solve the problem.
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
Good question. It looks like 22LR pistols can continue to be transferred among licensed owners who are actively participating in Olympic rules events, including new shooters. But it appears to be the plan that centre fire pistols won't be transferable to anyone in Canada, by sale, gift, or inheritance, after this new legislation takes effect. Unless that changes the only options will be (1) export to the USA, or (2) surrender to the government for destruction. This could well mean that a lot of desirable CF handguns will become available for export to the USA. Currently the services that arrange export of handguns (eg Borderview) charge about US$350 to take a handgun south across the border. Curiously, it's the US import rules that make it so costly. But it should be feasible for high value items. I'm thinking of the Python or the H&K P7that a friend has for sale. Let me add, this situation is the result of the Liberal party here in Canada catering to the prejudices of its urban base. They're afraid that we'll start to see the same levels of handgun violence that we read about in the US media. Historically, that hasn't been a real problem in Canada, because we've had strict control of handguns since the 1930s. Basically the rule was, target shooting only, no carry, no keeping it in the glove compartment or on the night stand. We've all been totally compliant with those rules. But that hasn't stopped our current ultra woke government from throwing centre fire target shooters under the bus, to score political points. Forgive the political rant, I couldn't help myself.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Its does seem a gutless and pointless move, anyone who has a combat pistol can keep it, anyone who wants a .22 has to jump through hoops, no guns removed from the community.
At least it costs the govt nothing I suppose.

The inevitable next step will be to get shooting removed from the Olympics.

Here we're pretty marginal on having IPSC, WA1500 etc. And if 'the public' knew what IPSC shooters get up to at the weekend the whole lot would be banned within a week.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

In Romania, the situation is similar, but not identical.
If a gun owner dies, it's heirs inherit the ownership of the guns, but they cannot hold them (at home) without a license. So the guns have to be stored at an authorized armorer (indefinitely but at a cost) until either sold or the inheritor gets a license - not terribly difficult for some types of guns (long guns), very difficult for other types (CF pistols).
renzo wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:49 am

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
Leon

Post by Leon »

Unfortunately for us in Australia, similar moves may be afoot.

Overheard on ABC Radio on Friday, the tail-end of a conversation with a Labour politician saying he wanted to stop handgun imports and introduce similar measures as Canada's !

Hopefully, his is the only lone voice in the wilderness, but there are 12 new, anti-gun Greens senators now..