Soda Stream cylinders

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
porkchop

Soda Stream cylinders

Post by porkchop »

I see this subject was mentioned with a Tau co2 pistol, but has anyone used a Soda Stream bottle to fill cylinders from Steyr LP1 or other pistols with detachable cylinders? Will a Soda Stream bottle fill from a 20 lb. bottom syphon tank, and would special fittings be needed?
Thanks for any experienced shooters out there.
Stan
tkinva

Re: Soda Stream cylinders

Post by tkinva »

This is a very expensive way to go. You'll need special fittings. SodaStream CO2 is over $1/oz/

I shoot CO2 pistols. Tau 7, CPM-1, C25.

A 10lb CO2 tank costs about $120.

A 10lb refill costs $35.

For my Tau 7s, I use Crosman CO2 Powerlets. At Amazon today, $25 for 40. About a penny per shot.
"It's better to have a catatonk atlatl than a catatonic axolotl."
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

Tkinva, I wasn't thinking of using the gas from their bottle, it's food grade and too expensive. I was going to use one of their mty bottles and fill it from my 25 lb tank. I thought it'd be a nice travel tank and cheap since it was free to me. I believe they would be non-siphon like other food grade types and have to be inverted to fill air pistol cylinders. Finding the proper fittings would be the hardest parts to get.
Stan
JariN

Post by JariN »

So you would need adapter like this:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32825539588.html
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

[quote=JariN post_id=319624 time=1654016041 user_id=19334]
So you would need adapter like this:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32825539588.html
[/quote]

Thank you for the link.
Stan
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I’m not sure what a soda stream bottle is. Never heard a co2 bottle called that. I have both a 20lb cylinder, used mostly with my mig welder and a 5lb bottle. Both of these I have used to fill my air pistols with. My current bottles don’t have syphon tubes so need to be turned upside down. The 20lb bottle I have is the same type used in soda fountains. Cheap to buy cheap to fill. 20lb w/o syphon tube is awkward to use.
robjob

Post by robjob »

I've worked with a lot of co2 (wed buy 75 lb tanks 5/week) in the past 5 years on a research project at work. Yes, you could use the soda stream to fill cylinders with proper adaptors, but unless you cool the cylinder first, or vent pressure occasionally, you'll only get 60-70% "full". The issue you may have with cooled or vented cylinders is that you may over fill them, which can cause catastrophic failure i.e. BOOM when they warm up. Yes, I've seen it happen, lucklly it was the overpressure burst disk. You need 20% volume in the cylinder to allow the proper head pressure to develop.

Fill by weight... ALWAYS
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

Thank you robjob, I'm going to remove the advertising label and see if there's a weight fill stamped into it like on our pistol cylinders.
Stan
robjob

Post by robjob »

porkchop wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:11 am Thank you robjob, I'm going to remove the advertising label and see if there's a weight fill stamped into it like on our pistol cylinders.
Stan
Good idea. Also, if you look at the label. I think it says how much co2 should Be in it. We'd use paint ball fill adaptors with hanging scales to fill our tanks. Be carefull and weigh after full to verify as sometimes hanging scale accuracy are impacted by the hose. Record empty weight and subtract from "full" weight to get co2 in cylinder
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

Thank you a bunch, I will do as you say. I've been using a kitchen scale that measures ounces and grams and using this with my 25 lb tank to fill my gun cylinder.