Morini Rear Sight Reassembly

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
lyoke3

Morini Rear Sight Reassembly

Post by lyoke3 »

I have a Morini 200EI. After some travel, it looks like the elevation screw came loose and out of the rear sight. I am able to screw it back in but it doesn't sit right. It has two ball bearings, I believe these click into the spaces the rear sight but wanted to confirm. Has anyone reassembled one of these?
New account - locked out of previous account "lyoke2"
bigaaron

Re: Morini Rear Sight Reassembly

Post by bigaaron »

If It's like the 162Ei, there's a spring that sits between the rear sight and the frame of the gun. If the screw came all the way out the spring under the sight is probably just lay underneath the sight. There should also be some kind of small E clip on the screw to prevent the screw from coming all the way out of the sight exposing the 2 little ball bearings. Hope that helps
Aaron
m1963

Post by m1963 »

bigaaron is exactly right. That spring is easy to lose, as it is very small.. We searched our carpet for days, for one before finding it. If yours is missing call Pilk and see if they have one in stock.
David M

Post by David M »

rearsight.jpg
The Morini rear sight assembly if fully stripped and of the pistol.
To help assembly use a good quality wheel bearing grease, slightly sticky to both lube and help keep parts in place during assembly.
1/ Place spring inside the Elevation screw.
2/ Locate both ball bearings in Elevation screw with a little grease.
3/ Insert screw into sight body and allow balls to indent into notchs.
You may need to press and turn screw to help the balls seat in place.
If you rotate the screw now you should hear and feel the clicks.
4/ Hold screw in place fully inserted and turn body over, clip the E clip onto elevation screw.
This retains the elevation screw and body as a assembly.
5/ Mount pistol in a horizontal position firmly to mount sight.
6/ Place the elevation spring into location hole with a little grease. also insert side spring and ball into body.
7/ Align the sight body above the pistol and spring (hold level), gently compress while turning the rear sight screw 1-2 turns to start thread.
Side ball should now be compressed and retained.
8/ Keep pressure on sight body to keep level and turn rear sight screw down to bottom (do not overtighten).
The sight should now be seated into pistol frame enough to insert the front pivot pin.
9/ Once inserted assembly is complete. Test elevation movement and clicks.
lyoke3

Post by lyoke3 »

I appreciate the responses.

David's number 3 was a bit tricky as the screw and ball bearings had to be pushed with a bit of force and the correct angle to click in there. I found that using the Morini screw driver to apply pressure seemed to set it in there smoothly.

I think I have it all reassembled now. I think it was knocked in travel and the downward force popped the elevation screw out of place. My gear is very secure but anything is possible.
New account - locked out of previous account "lyoke2"