Grip Modifications

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nevergiveup

Grip Modifications

Post by Nevergiveup »

I have a FWB P8X.

The grip is very adjustable, but I still need to make some minor modifications to get the perfect fit.

Grip fitting can be a time-consuming trial and error process. I’ve done this with other pistols using various permanent fillers. This time I would like to use a material that can be easily removed to experiment with the fit before I make permanent changes.

Any suggestions?
spektr

Re: Grip Modifications

Post by spektr »

Try adhesive backed felt pads
eugene

Post by eugene »

I use modeling clay, the harder one, without baking it in. It's enough to hold for a few dozen shots and evaluate. Then I do it permanently with a piece of epoxy stick.
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

Hot glue
Nevergiveup

Post by Nevergiveup »

I had some felt pads and it worked reasonably well.

When I made permanent changes in the past, I used JB Weld KWIK Wood – Wood Repair Epoxy.

I came across a YouTube video that used Morini M295 Plastic Wood. One apparent advantage I saw for this product is that it doesn’t stick to the grip and can be easily removed. The presenter formed the piece he required and was able take it off the grip to refine it. He finally attached the piece for use using double sided tape.

I’ve used other plastic wood products in the past. Like the JB Weld Wood Repair Epoxy, they stick permanently to the grip and must be jack hammered off.

Morini M295 seems like a good solution since the grip is not permanently modified. This is good if the change doesn’t work out or the gun later sold.

Has anyone used this or a similar product with the same properties? Opinions?

I haven’t been able to find the Morini 295 product. Does anyone have a source for it or a product that works similarly? I live in the US.

Here is a link to the YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJfC5A3Kt1I&t=0s

Thanks!
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

I have used Elmer's Carpenter's Wood fFller and been happy with the results. I put it on rather thinly and built it up with layers. I found it best to put a layer on, pushing in and smoothing roughly with my fingers, then about 10 minutes later when it has firmed up a bit go back and "refine" to your liking. It is sandable and I'm confident that if I needed to remove it that one could do so with a bit of effort. It is sold in 3 or 4 different colors, just get the one that's closest to you grip. I think I got it at home depot and was not expensive.
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

Nevergiveup wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:21 pm I came across a YouTube video that used Morini M295 Plastic Wood. One apparent advantage I saw for this product is that it doesn’t stick to the grip and can be easily removed.
I think the "M295" part is a bit of a red herring. That's probably a lot or order number sticker and not the product name. Searching for "Morini Compound" brings up a bunch of results. Similar products can be found by searching for "2k wood filler". The ones I tried all worked fine for my purposes. From what I understand the Morini one doesn't have polyester in it while many others do. The main downside being that the polyester ones are tougher to sand/modify. Not prohibitively so though. I have used both kinds and gotten good results.

It will stick to surfaces. The video just shows it being applied on a very smooth grip. But if you clean the surface of any oil and roughen it up with some sanding paper it will stick just fine.