Why do Olympic air gun shooters grip their guns so awkwardly?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
PirateJohn

Re: Why do Olympic air gun shooters grip their guns so awkwardly?

Post by PirateJohn »

Maybe post this in the rifle board and not the pistol board.
Vadym

Post by Vadym »

Why
cause
Olympic air gun shooters

seamaster

Post by seamaster »

He is shooting pistol as if shooting a rifle, cheek to the butt plate. Why don’t you try it out. You might like it enough to be your preferred hold. Make sure your eyes are looking straight forward though, not canted. Pistol UP to your eye sight, not eyes sight down to pistol line.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Looks like he’s stabilising his shoulder with his cheek!
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

That's a free pistol, not an airgun. Free pistols are basically tiny rifles, and this makes perfect sense. It's problematic for rapidfire maybe.

Grip the way it works for you. Just remember, very few of us are 20 year old olympians. :)
Vadym

Post by Vadym »

-TT- wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:39 am That's a free pistol, not an airgun. Free pistols are basically tiny rifles, and this makes perfect sense. It's problematic for rapidfire maybe.
Oh, really? Let's look closer
william

Post by william »

The more you can rely on bones, cartilage & ligament; the less on muscles & tendons, the better.

Of course if somebody is just looking for an argument, perhaps we can examine "What color is the sky?"
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

That bottom picture looks like somebody assembled his body parts wrong
william

Post by william »

PirateJohn wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:23 pm That bottom picture looks like somebody assembled his body parts wrong
I'm sure the Ukrainian team doctors are reassembling his elbow at this very moment. Wouldn't want good performance to get in the way of good looks, would we?
sparky

Post by sparky »

william wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:42 pm The more you can rely on bones, cartilage & ligament; the less on muscles & tendons, the better.

Of course if somebody is just looking for an argument, perhaps we can examine "What color is the sky?"
Which makes sense, but when I tried raising my shoulder to my cheek, I found that I was using a lot more muscle that I had to keep tense to hold my arm up in place that high. My shoulder would tire out much quicker than simply holding it out. Holding my arm out with out raising it seems to result in much less tension for me.
High Left

Post by High Left »

I've seen a US team shooter using a position like that. Looks incredibly awkward, and painful, but if you're young enough to manage it ...

Probably not reasonable with a 45? So those of us that want to shoot both disciplines, 'pistol shooting', and Neanderthal rock throwing, there's got to be a compromise.
Xman

Post by Xman »

High Left wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:37 pm I've seen a US team shooter using a position like that. Looks incredibly awkward, and painful, but if you're young enough to manage it ...

Probably not reasonable with a 45? So those of us that want to shoot both disciplines, 'pistol shooting', and Neanderthal rock throwing, there's got to be a compromise.
Jon Shue 45 pistol champion, the guy with THE beard.

https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... etin_w.pdf