Pistol Hold and Grip Fitting

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
cloudswimmer

Pistol Hold and Grip Fitting

Post by cloudswimmer »

Hi all,

Right handed shooter here. In NRA Bullseye I hold my pistols with a Zins grip (pistol angled a bit to the right) which gives me a natural point of aim .. not with the pistol going straight up in alignment with my arm like you see the action pistol/defense guys teach. On my Morini 162ei stock grip, if I hold the grip with my center palm of the hand firmly touching the grip it puts the barrel in straight alignment with my arm .. which is uncomfortable as I then have to cock my wrist to the right to aim. If I adjust my hold so the barrel is angled to the right a bit like I do on my Bullseye gun’s for natural point of aim .. then of course there is a gap between my palm and the grip. So do I want to try and get use to holding the Morini AP with the barrel lined straight with my arm .. or should I fill in the space on the grip with something like KwikWood or Bondo? Thanks in advance for the help.

Chris
Last edited by cloudswimmer on Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
spektr

Re: Pistol Hold and Grip Fitting

Post by spektr »

Hi Chris.
Sneak up on it with felt.
Hard felt for shoe insoles is adhesive backed and easily trimmable.
see what you like before you glue hard stuff to the gun
cloudswimmer

Post by cloudswimmer »

spektr wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:01 am Hi Chris.
Sneak up on it with felt.
Hard felt for shoe insoles is adhesive backed and easily trimmable.
see what you like before you glue hard stuff to the gun
Felt .. hmm .. interesting idea, I just read in another thread somebody used playdough too to get a rough idea on fitting. I actually bought an extra grip for this pistol to play around with cause the grip that came with it is absolutely gorgeous for presentation, and it’d be easier to sell should I need to with an un-altered grip. Have you or anyone else tried the grip compound our sponsor Scott sells at Pilkguns?
masaki

Post by masaki »

A primary option is to try and get use to holding the pistol with the barrel, hand, forearm, upper arm and the eye lined straight. But, it requires you a hard physical effort. Have you ever seen Korostylov, UKR. e.g., in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwrh8TigM3A time=26:10 ? You will realize that the joint between the upper arm and the scapula has to be on the straight line as well. I would suggest you to try the primary option for a while until you would find a compromised straightness of the line and then correct the error by bending the joint between the hand and the forearm, which is a secondary option. IMHO, modifying the grip is a last option. Did you know that most air pistols other than Morini CM162EI allow you to change the angle between the grip and the barreled action?
ciao!
Masaki
cloudswimmer

Post by cloudswimmer »

masaki wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:41 am A primary option is to try and get use to holding the pistol with the barrel, hand, forearm, upper arm and the eye lined straight. But, it requires you a hard physical effort. Have you ever seen Korostylov, UKR. e.g., in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwrh8TigM3A time=26:10 ? You will realize that the joint between the upper arm and the scapula has to be on the straight line as well. I would suggest you to try the primary option for a while until you would find a compromised straightness of the line and then correct the error by bending the joint between the hand and the forearm, which is a secondary option. IMHO, modifying the grip is a last option. Did you know that most air pistols other than Morini CM162EI allow you to change the angle between the grip and the barreled action?
ciao!
Masaki
Thanks for taking the time to respond Masaki. Yes I’ve watched Korostylov and others with same position before, I’ve tried it myself and it’s very very uncomfortable and my scores are horrible. When I started NRA Bullseye training with Brian Zins and we adjusted my hold to his suggested natural point of aim hold so that when I close my eyes and relax .. then bring the the gun up on target and open my eyes the sights are aligned .. my scores instantly improved and I was MUCH more relaxed on the firing line vs a barrel as extension of forearm hold. However with my Morini AP I will spend the next week as you suggest with the primary option and see how it goes. Before my Morini I owned a silver Steyr LP10 which had the adjustable grip angle .. but I always left it straight as the hold on my firearms back then was barrel aligned as extension of forearm. I see the newest Morini’s have the same grip angle adjustments as well, but even though I’ve owned this 162ei for years now I’ve barely just started to actually use it and would really like to get some use out of it before selling it and moving up. Thanks again

Chris
eugene

Post by eugene »

There was research on this somewhere. Apparently most people who shoot with this special high shoulder position learned it to do so when they were young (9-11yo) and had troubles lifting it high enough. So it is not necessarily something to copy for an adult joining this sport.
masaki

Post by masaki »

Chris,
I thought you are an old hand at action shooting and a beginner in 10m AP. But, I realized after reading your second post that you had spent some time finding your best piece and posture. Getting used to a new posture takes time and practices. If you have spent decent time and practices until giving up the complete straight barrel-hand-arms-shoulder-eye posture, please forget my last post. Another options for you would be to a)bend the wrist or b)grab the grip with the hand in some angle. To try b, you do not have to put any dunes(or objects) on the grip as long as you want that the barrel points to the right a little. Just maintain a constant space between the grip and the palm to see how you feel and where the pellet goes. Modifying the grip may be done after you find a best or a confident angle.

Ciao,
Masaki
SP22

Post by SP22 »

Neither an expert nor an authority, but I was taught natural point of aim by closing my eyes. Stoking the stance, rasing pistol up, locking bony joints, firmly gripping (no white knuckles), comfortably locking my head/neck into position and opening my eyes. If the bull was not centered, then the feet had to be rotated axially….repeat as nec. If the sight alignment/picture needs to be corrected by rotating the wrist, then the volume of the grip may be the issue causing the axial rotation “or pitch” of the sights to the left or right.