Trigger Pull gauge

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sal6781

Trigger Pull gauge

Post by sal6781 »

Is a mechanical trigger pull gauge good enough for Air Pistol or ?
Gwhite

Re: Trigger Pull gauge

Post by Gwhite »

Depends on what you want to do. If you are concerned with passing a trigger check at a match, get (or make) a weight to test with. If you want to measure the relative forces of the first stage vs the total trigger pull, then you will need a gauge. The mechanical ones are OK, but very few of them read in grams, and they aren't very precise at low force levels. There is no way you can accurately tell the difference between a 200 and 250 gram first stage weight.

The digital gauges by Lyman & Wheeler will read in either pounds or grams. They are accurate down to very low forces. I've worked with three different Lyman gauges, and compared one to precision weight standards, and the accuracy was amazing. Some people prefer the Wheeler, but it's more expensive, and I have no experience with them.

The Lymans can be bought for less than $50 new, and you can get used ones on eBay for as little as ~ $40. I actually prefer the older model in the black padded case.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

isn't something like this more precise? https://buinger.com/ahg-TRIGGER-PRESSURE-GAUGE
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

As long as I know the measurement tolerance, I can compensate for that. Repeatability is something you can average with multiple trials.

I'm very satisfied with the Lyman # 7832248. It's tolerance is 0 - 2.2kg: ± 2g. It works well with my DIY 525 g weight.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/electroni ... pull-gauge
Rover

Post by Rover »

I can identify with the "fussy" guys, but for most here, the two tins of pellets taped to a bent coat hangar will do the job.

There are much more important things to work on.
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

Rover wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:07 am I can identify with the "fussy" guys, but for most here, the two tins of pellets taped to a bent coat hangar will do the job.

There are much more important things to work on.
Here's my "work of art"........ I was going to put a piece of shrink tube on the hook - but hey, who go crazy.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Azmodan wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:12 am isn't something like this more precise? https://buinger.com/ahg-TRIGGER-PRESSURE-GAUGE
This is a "dial tension gauge", and they are typically specified as being accurate to "±0.01 X maximum dial reading + actual test reading".

If you want to measure a 500 gram air pistol trigger with any margin, you need the 2000 gram model. That means the accuracy at a 500 gram reading would be +/- 2500 x 0.01 = +/- 25 grams.

Besides costing a tiny fraction of what the AHG gauge costs, the Lyman digital gauge is accurate to +/- 2 grams. It can also easily switch between pounds & grams, and it will average a series of readings.

I'll stick with the Lyman...
william

Post by william »

Except for the two-tins-of-pellets approach, this whole conversation is quite baffling. Nobody needs to know what their trigger pull is, nobody. All that's needed - and I'd risk saying all that anybody should want - is to know it's legal by a large enough margin to pass any equipment check.

I watched a shooter score what would have medaled until the post-match check came up short. He "knew" his trigger was 505 grams... until it wasn't. This device weighs 530 grams, confirmed twice on different lab scales. If my trigger can lift it without discharging, I know I don't have to think about any match official or any sloppy procedure. And really, who can feel the difference between 530 and barely legal under match conditions?

An empty vitamin bottle and a piece of hanger - free. 18 or so ounces of #9 shot - pennies. The peace of mind that comes from full confidence in your trigger being legal - priceless.
P1070352.jpg
sal6781

Post by sal6781 »

Thank you ! I just have to find a way to weigh the contraption .
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The only reason for a gauge is if you want to adjust the 1st vs 2nd stage weight, or you have multiple pistols/disciplines to deal with. If all you care about is passing equipment check, a weight is the way to go. The results from the two are NOT always identical, so you should always check with a weight anyway until you've had enough experience to know how much margin you need with the gauge.

The other reason for having a gauge is learn the "adjustment rate" on your pistol. Knowing how much the pull varies for a 1/4 turn of this screw or that can be very useful if something goes dramatically wrong and you have to start from scratch (like a part breaks).