WEIHRAUCH HW 75

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Xman

WEIHRAUCH HW 75

Post by Xman »

I used to own a Gamo Compact ..sold because of the low power even with 7.0 gr pellets. Poor hole cutting even with Edelman targets.

Bought a IZH 46, sold 12 years later due to economic reasons, the grip was kind of awkward and was nose heavy. Cut nice holes on any target paper/card. Great trigger.

I want to get back into AP as I am now shooting Bullseye and would like to get more practice in the colder months indoor.

Have my eye on the WEIHRAUCH HW 75. It specs out at 410fps. The grip (visually) is close to my SW 41 and my 1996 era Buckmark Trailside.

I can shoot the 75 with open sights (Leg Match) and can fit a dot with an available (ebay) 13mm mount about 1/3 way down the barrel for my 2700s.

I am seeking thoughts and opinions.
spektr

Re: WEIHRAUCH HW 75

Post by spektr »

When AirgunDepot.com says this gun is suitable for plinking and casual target shooting, you might listen. if the vendor, usually a bit prone to overstating their capability says this...... Well you can draw your own conclusions.....
charliemow13

Post by charliemow13 »

I've never shot nrimfire or centerfire pistol but if you're wanting an air powered alternative for indoor training wouldnt a HW45 be more akin to the powder burners? Spring powered rather than ssp of the HW75 so you'd have the recoil to deal with. Would you have any opportunity to try both the HW75 and 45 side by side and see how they feel, whether they'd actually suit your intended purpose?
Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad! :-)
Richard144

Post by Richard144 »

I shoot air pistol silhouette and use an IZH with peep sights and an HW75 with a red dot. The IZH is the most popular gun that we see in use with or without optics. My HW 75 is a pretty and well made pistol. It's shoots nicely but I have not been able to get it to group at all. I also do not like that you must actually cock the hammer. I have shot the HW45 which is more powerful and a spring gun. It is hard to cock and uncomfortable to shoot. I had the HW ssp that is all plastic and looks like a SIG (can't remember the model number). I also had a cheap red dot on that and it worked very well. Unforunately I sold it because I liked the look of the 75. That gun I would recommend and it is under $300. plus if you don't mind a Chinagun Beeman sells a knockoff for way less than $100.
My overall best choice would be the IZH if you can find one or the new one Pyramyd sells now. This all assumes you want to stay inexpensive and away from the high end PCPs.
Rick B.
Richard144

Post by Richard144 »

Just to follow up, the pistol I was talking about is an HW40 PCA and I think the Chinagun is a Beeman P17.
Rick
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Are we supposed to laugh when you call it a chinagun?
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

I have a HW75 and it is a very good and accurate pistol. It has a great trigger and sights with nice grips. Is it a modern day 10M PCP pistol like a FWB, Styer, Pardini, Walther, Morini, etc? No it is not but it’s 1/4 the cost. It was not design to compete with those pistols. For a casual shooter that wants a darn accurate pistol to test the waters of 10M pistol it may not be a bad choice. It will shoot better then you can. It has basically no recoil so if you want some recoils get the HW45. I don’t shoot my 75 much as it gets boring, in a good way I guess, as I hit what I shoot at. I don’t really use it to shoot at paper but metal spinner type targets. Overall it’s a nice pistol and would suit you well for your winter indoor pistol practice which is what you were asking.
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

For the price of a new HW 75 or less you may be able to find a used Walther CP2 or CP3 CO2 pistol which will be infinitely better. LIke this one:
https://www.bradfordsauction.com/auctio ... 8594A89958 The Walther would probably cost less tho you may need to have it serviced. I had this choice to make myself a couple of years ago, wanting an AP for my back yard, to supplement ISSF 25M shooting, but not ready to lay out for a current AP. Very glad I found my CP2. A friend's Tau 7 is also pretty decent tho it's no Walther.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hamster is dead on with his post. A Pardini K58 would be nice, too.
Xman

Re: WEIHRAUCH HW 75 or HW 45

Post by Xman »

Thanks for all the info for why not to get a HW 75. My point is to assist my BE shooting with a modest expense. Yes I know, "buy once, cry once"
SSP is my choice to avoid, tanks, pumps, temperature issues (CO2), etc. I owned a IZH 46 for over 10 years and it never really filled the bill at that time. Was not into BE then. Nose heavy, clacky-clack operations, and a grip that was made for nobody. I was constantly adding and removing putty and whatnot. Just never could get it to be a comfortable handhold.

The comments about the HW45 spring piston to give some recoil on firing gives me something to consider.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I don't have one, and they seem hard to find, but a FAS 6004 might fit your requirements.
Xman

Post by Xman »

brent375hh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:03 pm I don't have one, and they seem hard to find, but a FAS 6004 might fit your requirements.
The 6004 suffers from that same issue as the V10 and Gamo Compact. Specs out at about 330fps. Plus a lot of plastic parts, levers, etc on moving parts that are in contact with each other.
kdarwood

Post by kdarwood »

Here is my opinion, based on previously owning the HW40, HW75, P17, HW45, and IZH46M, Gamo compact, and FAS 6004.

HW75 - Excellent accuracy in the two I owned. The bore axis is high and sits high in the hand, so felt odd for one handed shooting. Mine both had the “target” grip and it was a tight fit with my hand overlapping the bottom beveled portion of the grip. Not uncomfortable, but noticeably not a great fit and I have thin, medium/large hands.

HW45 - I wanted to love this pistol, because it was fun to shoot, but I finally gave up, because I couldn’t get it to group consistently with all that spring movement. I had the Black Star, so same issue with the grip. It also had a fiber optic sight, which you may or may not like. Dieseled a ton and I sold it before that went away.

HW40 - Best of the bunch, in my opinion, for mimicking the feel of a polymer firearm. Just as accurate as the HW75, slightly harder to cock, and has fiber optic sights. I regrettably sold mine and I’m currently on a waiting list for a new one.

P17 - Feels the same in the hand and looks the same as the HW40, but not as refined in its build quality, as expected for the price point. Great trigger and accuracy for the price. Mine had a bit of creep in the trigger pull compared to the HW40. I ultimately didn’t keep it, because it sometimes wouldn’t fire after cocking. Maybe an easy fix, but I didn’t try as it had no pride of ownership feeling for me.

FAS 6004 - I REALLY wanted to love this pistol, but I could write a very long paragraph on the problems I had with both of mine. A FAR cry from the FAS 604 build quality that it imitates, which I also owned.

Gamo compact - Pretty darned good for the price. I remember the trigger pull weight adjustment being limited. I think mine would adjust a little lower than two pounds if I remember correctly. Just felt too heavy for one handed olympic style FOR ME.

As for velocity, my HW40 and HW75 were around 400 fps. The FAS 6004 was 360……sometimes….300 sometimes, etc., etc. I didn’t chrony the Gamo or HW45.
Hamster

Re: WEIHRAUCH HW 75 or HW 45

Post by Hamster »

Xman wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:43 pm Thanks for all the info for why not to get a HW 75. My point is to assist my BE shooting with a modest expense. Yes I know, "buy once, cry once"
SSP is my choice to avoid, tanks, pumps, temperature issues (CO2), etc. I owned a IZH 46 for over 10 years and it never really filled the bill at that time. Was not into BE then. Nose heavy, clacky-clack operations, and a grip that was made for nobody. I was constantly adding and removing putty and whatnot. Just never could get it to be a comfortable handhold.

The comments about the HW45 spring piston to give some recoil on firing gives me something to consider.
The tank for a CO2 pistol is easy and convenient -- just a 5 lb fire extinguisher, costing about $80. That's a big advantage over scuba air (unless you're flying to matches where there might not be a CO2 tank to use). As for the ambient temperature, I suppose it can be a limiting factor if you're shooting AP outdoors in cold or hot times. Not an issue for me here in not-so-sunny Vancouver. The CP2 is heavier than a modern AP. That suits me, since I'm using it to supplement shooting with a 2 lb steel .22 pistols (semi auto and FP). You can't beat the low bore and, especially, the 500 gram trigger, of a real target AP.