Trigger position

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
nmondal

Re: Trigger position

Post by nmondal »

Gwhite wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:08 pm Many people also find that the feel of the trigger is more comfortable if they offset its position some to the side. In that case, you will be applying a twisting force to the pistol as you pull the trigger. If it's a small offset, it's probably not a big deal, but what it really means is that the pistol's grip doesn't fit you properly.
That would be me. That is precisely I desperately need a smaller grip and I ordered from Rink ( via artek ).
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

nmondal wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:49 am That would be me. That is precisely I desperately need a smaller grip and I ordered from Rink ( via artek ).
The adjustability of the K12 trigger is terrific. I moved it out, down, and canted it a little - much, much better control.

The Rink for the K12 was shipped DHL a few days ago (direct). Since I put one on the Benelli (about 8 years ago) I just like them, they seem to fit my hand better. The Pardini grip is good - just my preference I suppose.

So in a few weeks I should have grip and shoes in place. Then, there will be NO excuses whatsoever. (maybe a cold draft at the range maybe??)
william

Post by william »

Agt. Smith wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:24 pmSo in a few weeks I should have grip and shoes in place. Then, there will be NO excuses whatsoever. (maybe a cold draft at the range maybe??)
When all else fails, you can count on the ever-reliable "I suck at this game."
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

william wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:42 pm
Agt. Smith wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:24 pmSo in a few weeks I should have grip and shoes in place. Then, there will be NO excuses whatsoever. (maybe a cold draft at the range maybe??)
When all else fails, you can count on the ever-reliable "I suck at this game."
Ah. No. I may well suck at this game, but I will continue till I unsuck - or die trying.
More and more date points seem to point to the direction that I need a change of grip ASAP.
But... the rink is coming..coming...coming.... will take 1 more months.
:sigh:
Rover

Post by Rover »

You were chumped thinking you needed to buy those items.

The grips may not fit you any better than what you have. Your present grips should be tweaked by YOU. You know...sand paper and putty.
As for the shoes...I knew of only one guy who went that route and he was only OK.
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

Rover wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:13 am You were chumped thinking you needed to buy those items.

The grips may not fit you any better than what you have. Your present grips should be tweaked by YOU. You know...sand paper and putty.
As for the shoes...I knew of only one guy who went that route and he was only OK.
Could be - but the Rink on the Benelli made all the difference in the world (to me). I get it about the putty - but I want a foundation I'm familiar with before I start with all that stuff.

Granted, the shoes are an extravagance - but hey, I guess I need to find that out for myself. I thought the same thing about custom Limmers years ago - now they are the ONLY back country boots I will buy.

FYI (all things K12) - out of the box the trigger weight was 320/321/321 (3 pulls) with the Lyman. I adjusted it to 525/526/525 (3 pulls). After shooting high caliber revolvers for so long - this is 'beginning' to feel more like normal. Although 1.1 lb still feels like a hair trigger to me.

Shot 6 targets this morning - all above 80, with one 85-1X, WELL above my lifetime average (6 weeks) of 75.2. The only other things I changed were:
1) did not move my feet during each target (a guy at the range last week asked me why I was dancing around between shots - who knew?)
2) concentrated on putting the pistol DOWN if the shot didn't feel right - something I did at least 2X each target.

We will.............endeavor to persevere..........*LOL* !
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:13 am You were chumped thinking you needed to buy those items.

Hey, buddy, keep it to yourself! You're bad for business.
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

Ha ! "Business" is one thing. Hobbies have ALWAYS been exempt from financial scrutiny.

In the larger scheme of learning anything new, a couple of hundred for tools is pretty benign.

You should try collecting 5-string bluegrass banjos. Plenty of genuine opportunity to be "chumped" there !
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

Agt. Smith wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:17 am Ha ! "Business" is one thing. Hobbies have ALWAYS been exempt from financial scrutiny.
In the larger scheme of learning anything new, a couple of hundred for tools is pretty benign.
From my Amazon days - I picked up some neat philosophies about - taking a stand, always
of input to a system ( including ourself ) and output from the system - and classifying if that is a "Good Business".
There is an ROI to everything - including Hobbies.
Either we are awesome, or we are not.
It is very Amazon way of looking into the world - but - what the heck - even their Hobby projects consistently get Oscars.

https://www.geekwire.com/2021/amazon-wi ... even-wins/
:-)
I am not saying one should abide by it - it is just... something to think about.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

nmondal wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:08 am It is very Amazon way of looking into the world - but - what the heck - even their Hobby projects consistently get Oscars.

https://www.geekwire.com/2021/amazon-wi ... even-wins/
:-)
I am not saying one should abide by it - it is just... something to think about.
I'd say that translation of A philosophies to TT world - if you suck at shooting, try gunsmithing or making electronic targets. If you suck at that too - try gardening. Or just sponsor a good shooter :)
(the hobby you've mentioned started as a very different one :))
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

Just wanted to shout out at Alexander Chichkov at Pardini USA LLC for the help with setting up the K12 trigger.

Not only does it life the weight fine, but measures a repetitive 525g on the Lyman. That thing is the balls.

I'm still getting the hang of setting the first stage as I falling through the bull - but I'm getting it.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

brent375hh wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:25 pm Moving the trigger shoe down any more than is required is a disadvantage. Since your trigger is weighed in the middle, having a longer lever means your let off weight probably is no longer 500 grams.
I would hazard a guess that those who bought new guns and haven't weighed them since break-in probably don't have 500 grams either.
Forgive my ignorance but I don’t understand how “ 500 grams” is changed by where you touch a trigger? 500 g is 500g; you can have increased leverage just as using a longer wrench provides more leverage if you were to apply it to a bolt that has been set into a 2x4 with 20lbs of torque. It’s easier with the longer wrench, but you’re still reversing 20lbs of torque. If 500 g is what it takes to trip the sear.....?
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

toddinjax wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:59 am
brent375hh wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:25 pm Moving the trigger shoe down any more than is required is a disadvantage. Since your trigger is weighed in the middle, having a longer lever means your let off weight probably is no longer 500 grams.
I would hazard a guess that those who bought new guns and haven't weighed them since break-in probably don't have 500 grams either.

Forgive my ignorance but I don’t understand how “ 500 grams” is changed by where you touch a trigger? 500 g is 500g; you can have increased leverage just as using a longer wrench provides more leverage if you were to apply it to a bolt that has been set into a 2x4 with 20lbs of torque. It’s easier with the longer wrench, but you’re still reversing 20lbs of torque. If 500 g is what it takes to trip the sear.....?
Many triggers have a groove in them to locate center for trigger weight. Moving the trigger down is a longer lever, which requires additional spring tension to pick up 500 grams. Placing your finger slightly to the bottom of that groove gives you an advantage. Lots of people like the Morini trigger. Look at where the groove is as opposed to where the center of the finger contacts it. The groove is further up from center in most cases.
GoodEnuf

Post by GoodEnuf »

Eureka!

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the earth." Of course, Bubba didn't say how far he'd have to yank his end, and how far the earth would move.

Force, work, stuff like that.

JE
Reporting from the Cascade Subduction Zone...