Home Range Camera

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nevergiveup

Home Range Camera

Post by Nevergiveup »

I recently had to reconfigure my home range. I was shooting from my loft through an open door to a target in a walk in attic. The range was fine except hot and cold air moved between the attic and loft making it uncomfortable to shoot in very cold or hot weather.

I changed the configuration. Instead of shooting to a target in the attic, I now shoot at a target in my home office. It works great except that I must shoot through several doorways to make the shot. Not a problem, but due to the angles and the barriers I have set up to account for an errant shot (I had to promise my wife there would be no holes in the walls), I can no longer use my spotting scope to monitor the target.

There have been several treads about using a security camera or baby monitor to see the shots on a 10 meter target. Despite that I’m still confused.

There seems to be very many choices. I don’t know what to select. I want something that is affordable, very easy to set up and use (I’m not very technical in this area) with reasonable quality.

I have an iPhone. Many baby monitors already come with a separate display. Simple is best. I’m in the US and Amazon looks like they have a large selection. Too large. I don’t know what to choose (security camera, baby monitor UGHH!).
Thanks!
william

Re: Home Range Camera

Post by william »

1. Take your shot.
2. Describe it to yourself as thoroughly as you can, and don't try to kid yourself, e.g.
_a. How great was your arc of motion as you released the shot?
_b. Where was the front sight at the moment of trigger break?
_c. What were you looking at at that instant?
_d. How smoothly did you pull through the trigger?
_e. Where did the pellet strike?
3. Open your pistol, and either put it down or transfer it to your non-shooting hand.
4. Walk downrange to your target to examine it.
5. Use the walk back to critique your self-analysis.
6. Rinse. Repeat.

Taking the walk between shots serves multiple purposes, including reinforcing the concept of the "one-shot-match." Save your money, and skip the technology.
FWB_700_Alu

Post by FWB_700_Alu »

Practice should be done just as a Shooting Match is carried out. Wait for someone to give you a good camera recommendation.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Is your shooting lane only wide enough to see the target, but a scope, say 10" to your left, would not be able to see the target?

A monocular mounted on a table top tripod, or clamp on monopod takes up very little real estate.

When you get a satisfaction solution, please show us your setup. I have been thinking about the same thing, but like others have said, using your target cam at other ranges might be problematic.
Nevergiveup

Post by Nevergiveup »

My scope options are very limited.

I hung a tarp that will stop any pellet from flying into the office and damaging walls or other sensitive equipment. It works well and any shot that hits the tarp will be mostly expended and bounce harmlessly to the floor. Shots that go through the hole will hit the trap. I tested it.

The hole in the tarp lines up with my firing position. The angles allow very little room for both me and a scope. That’s the reason for a cam.
Attachments
Range.jpg
william

Post by william »

FWB_700_Alu wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:52 pm Practice should be done just as a Shooting Match is carried out. Wait for someone to give you a good camera recommendation.
Beg to differ.

The actual shot process should be executed precisely as in a match.

The time between shots in practice sessions can be used productively in ways less realistic during a match. To shortchange self-analysis / self-criticism is to waste valuable opportunities. Walking to the target after every shot may be the limit case, but it helps your practice yield practical (See the resemblance between the words?) lessons.
FWB_700_Alu

Post by FWB_700_Alu »

william wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:23 pm 1. Take your shot.
2. Describe it to yourself as thoroughly as you can, and don't try to kid yourself, e.g.
_a. How great was your arc of motion as you released the shot?
_b. Where was the front sight at the moment of trigger break?
_c. What were you looking at at that instant?
_d. How smoothly did you pull through the trigger?
_e. Where did the pellet strike?
3. Open your pistol, and either put it down or transfer it to your non-shooting hand.
4. Walk downrange to your target to examine it.
5. Use the walk back to critique your self-analysis.
6. Rinse. Repeat.
william wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:54 pm

The actual shot process should be executed precisely as in a match.
There are Doctors for that....
Nevergiveup

Post by Nevergiveup »

I didn’t attend for this tread to become a debate about the best way to train and/or practice. That discussion is way beyond my experience level with 10 meter air pistol to comment.

I am a former bullseye shooter and have always used a scope to check my shots. It was not safe or timely to walk to the 50 yard target after each shot on slow fire. I’m used to shooting this way and allowed me to make corrections easily from shot to shot.

I no longer shoot in serious competition. I shoot for fun and personal challenge.

If I have a camera, I can still walk to the target to check the results if I can’t make out the shot or otherwise feel it helpful. The camera also avoids a lot of walking (about a ½ mile for 60 shots).

I want to have the choice. I just don’t know the best way to get there.
william

Post by william »

I'm also a former B-E shooter, and I would never have suggested that method for any circumstances other than those you described in your initial post. If what I offered was too burdensome, I apologize.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
GoodEnuf

Post by GoodEnuf »

I use an Amcrest brand surveillance camera connected to a computer/monitor which is visible from my shooting position. The connection is via wi-fi so no wires are needed; the set-up is always ready and can be initiated in seconds. The camera and software was under $50 on good 'ole Amazon as I remember. A 110v power supply is needed at the target with my set-up. The picture clarity and size is perfect.

The downside (and possible dealbreaker for you) is the initial wi-fi set-up was a nightmare. I am a patient person, but it took all of my resources to make it thru the ordeal. Once I got it working, all copied all of the details so they could be replicated if needed in the future.

I appreciate the specific need you post. I am also in that situation. I was competitive once upon a time, but shoot now only for private gratification and do not attend meets, competitions, etc. Everyone does not have identical drives or motivations and should tailor their reality to meet their circumstances.

I will post/email details of my set-up if you have further interest.

JE
Reporting from the Cascade Subduction Zone...
Nevergiveup

Post by Nevergiveup »

william wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:04 pm I'm also a former B-E shooter, and I would never have suggested that method for any circumstances other than those you described in your initial post. If what I offered was too burdensome, I apologize.
I participate in several shooting forums besides this one – mostly reloading.

One of the great things about each of them is the willingness to help one another and the diversity of opinion.

It would be a very boring world if we have the same approach to everything. We would never grow and learn. Often the more passionate and diverse discussions result in the greatest gain.

The approach you outline has much merit. I do follow those steps except I like to peak through a scope to check my target so I don’t lose my foot position. However, I do walk to the target when the scope doesn’t tell the whole story.

I’m not a serious competitor. I’m far too old (71) and have some physical issues that would prevent me from following your suggestions to the letter. However, that doesn’t mean I’m not willing to learn and grow and others won’t benefit.

Thanks for your time responding to my post. It is appreciated. No cam is a valid option but due to my individual circumstances just doesn’t work for me.
Nevergiveup

Post by Nevergiveup »

GoodEnuf wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:44 am I use an Amcrest brand surveillance camera connected to a computer/monitor which is visible from my shooting position. The connection is via wi-fi so no wires are needed; the set-up is always ready and can be initiated in seconds. The camera and software was under $50 on good 'ole Amazon as I remember. A 110v power supply is needed at the target with my set-up. The picture clarity and size is perfect.

The downside (and possible dealbreaker for you) is the initial wi-fi set-up was a nightmare. I am a patient person, but it took all of my resources to make it thru the ordeal. Once I got it working, all copied all of the details so they could be replicated if needed in the future.

I appreciate the specific need you post. I am also in that situation. I was competitive once upon a time, but shoot now only for private gratification and do not attend meets, competitions, etc. Everyone does not have identical drives or motivations and should tailor their reality to meet their circumstances.

I will post/email details of my set-up if you have further interest.

JE
The discussion about a camera to check the target comes up occasionally. If you have instructions on how to set one up, please post. It may prove useful if not by me but may be others in the future

Thanks!!!!
Nevergiveup

Post by Nevergiveup »

I had an 8 year old MacBook Pro and a separate web cam. I also have an iPhone.

The concern I had with using a long USB Cable was loss of signal strength over long distance and having to relay the line every time I wanted to use it. If I left the cable on the carpet in my loft and office sooner or later, I would trip over it. I preferred Wi-Fi.

I hooked up the webcam to the MacBook and pointed toward the target. Very clear and crisp. Now for Wi-Fi.

FaceTime to the rescue. I had the MacBook call my phone using FaceTime, mute both sides and problem solved. The only thing I will need is a $6.00 short USB extender to get the MacBook further from harms way.

I saw in other treads people using old cell phones to solve my dilemma, but I was not able to put it together.

If you have two cam enabled devices that can talk over the internet, have access to Facetime, Skype or whatever, you’re in business. Easy and cheap.

Thanks!!!