Aiming Too Much

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
PirateJohn

Aiming Too Much

Post by PirateJohn »

I shot a practice match today and didn't do all that great -- 519 out of 600. So I decided to shoot ten more pellets at one target and try something different. This time, I strictly kept myself to a minimum hold before pulling the trigger. Almost as though I was shooting rapid fire.

I scored 96 out of 100. I had never scored better than 93 out of 100 before.
Attachments
20211117_220047.jpg
emre-nur

Re: Aiming Too Much

Post by emre-nur »

Nice shooting.
I hope it is not one of those cases that something new feels good at the beginning but then the effect fades in time. Well, that is what happens to me so far.
520 is what I am trying to achieve anyway.
:)
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

emre-nur wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:23 am Nice shooting.
I hope it is not one of those cases that something new feels good at the beginning but then the effect fades in time. Well, that is what happens to me so far.
Oh, I don't doubt that a big part of it was a fluke, but I nonetheless learned that I don't have to worry so much about getting that perfect shot. Once Thanksgiving is over I'm going to spend more time training myself to pull the trigger sooner so I'm not as jittery from holding the aim a long time.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

PirateJohn wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:50 am
emre-nur wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:23 am Nice shooting.
Oh, I don't doubt that a big part of it was a fluke, but I nonetheless learned that I don't have to worry so much about getting that perfect shot. Once Thanksgiving is over I'm going to spend more time training myself to pull the trigger sooner so I'm not as jittery from holding the aim a long time.
Little things can have interesting effects. I have found that the single breath hold works better for me as I age and my arm strength has decreased. Also, I've begun putting a belt around my waist for the purpose o anchoring my non-shooting hand as opposed to putting that hand in my pocket. The belt seems to be a better approach. To be continued.....
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Aiming is much better, much better than you think. It is always the trigger and follow through that mess you up. Realizing your aiming is way better than you think, that will cut down your aiming time a lot. Go straight to alignment/ trigger/ follow through like a rock.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

seamaster wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:16 am Aiming is much better, much better than you think. It is always the trigger and follow through that mess you up. Realizing your aiming is way better than you think, that will cut down your aiming time a lot. Go straight to alignment/ trigger/ follow through like a rock.
Yeah, I have been spending the last couple of months focusing on trigger and follow through. At my last match, I was holding the follow through by as much as three seconds. I still have some work to do with the trigger, but I know doing a lot more dry firing will help.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I too use B Lafferty’s additional belt for the non-shooting hand. Adds consistency and you don’t have to fumble with jackets and t-shirts getting your hand into your pocket.

WRT the shooting, I’ve heard it said that some elite shooters actually never stop the pistol in the aiming area but release the shot on the way through. This would require considerable skill (to know when the trigger will release) but while the arm is moving it is more stable, i.e. not wobbling. The motion seems to smooth the motion.

The less time spent “aiming” the better it seems.

Bob
Web

Post by Web »

Every time I try to "release" the trigger on the way through I jerk the shot into the white.