Olympic Pistol Grips

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BobGee

Olympic Pistol Grips

Post by BobGee »

I know that this subject has been visited a few times but, despite the other controversy swirling around Javad Foroughi, surely his grip cannot be legal, or Christian Reitz's for that matter.

My Rink grip on my FWB P44 doesn't come anywhere near covering my wrist joint like these two.

Bob
IMG_0893.JPEG
IMG_0893.JPEG (34.71 KiB) Viewed 8821 times
IMG_0895.JPEG
dontshootcritters

Re: Olympic Pistol Grips

Post by dontshootcritters »

Wow that is a very high grip indeed...BUT surely they would have all gone through scruntineering prior...??
Or...maybe they didn't.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

The fact that a good number of high level shooters seem to glue about an inch of timber onto the back of their factory grip might tell us something.

The "but they've been to X international matches with that grip, we can't question it now" is a stupid one.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone asked to put their hand in their grip at EC, except for rapid in the old days.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Even holding in his left hand its getting close

BobGee

Post by BobGee »

JamesHH wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:07 am The fact that a good number of high level shooters seem to glue about an inch of timber onto the back of their factory grip might tell us something.
Not that straightforward James as the pistol still has to fit in the box.

Bob
JonPersson

Post by JonPersson »

JamesHH wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:10 am Even holding in his left hand its getting close

I see shooters stand like this in the middle of a match, right handed shooters turn around and put the gun in the left hand and just stand for a while…why? Stretching???
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

JamesHH wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:07 am I don't think I've ever seen anyone asked to put their hand in their grip at EC
Grip check was done on everyone at C-Springs and Benning.
EC usually not done at selection matches at Perry and Anniston.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

JonPersson wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:01 am I see shooters stand like this in the middle of a match, right handed shooters turn around and put the gun in the left hand and just stand for a while…why? Stretching???
I’m told that exercising the opposite limb speeds up the recovery of the one you use.

Bob
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

I've had the wrist and grip checked at some competitions, together with shoes, glasses, and fitting the pistol inbthe box. You have to hold the pistol like you would for shooting and show you can bend the wrist downwards (adduction). Yes, the palm shelf touches the wrist bones at some point for most shooters but it does not impede movement, you still have to lock your wrist eith your muscles. Every once in a while someone will go a bit too far and be asked to file it down. It is definitely something that could be better explained in the ISSF rules.
Ramon
David M

Post by David M »

The problem for Equipment Control, is there is no definition or exact point for the "wrist".
Hence the best they have is a movement test, although even this is not in the rule book.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

BobGee wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:27 am
JonPersson wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:01 am I see shooters stand like this in the middle of a match, right handed shooters turn around and put the gun in the left hand and just stand for a while…why? Stretching???
I’m told that exercising the opposite limb speeds up the recovery of the one you use.

Bob
You want to be evenly developed so you don't push your spine out of whack.

Also stops you ending up like the javelin thrower in Asterix.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My first coach warned us that if we over trained just one side we'd have to buy custom shirts with one sleeve bigger than the other...
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I thought that body shape was caused by another Male pursuit.

Bob
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I think that some shooters sail very close to the wind but I guess EC and the judges must pass them.

8849EEF4-9BA3-4738-ABD8-C8B72EDE3AC5.jpeg
Manu Bhaker of India at the ISSF President's Cup at Wrocław in Poland.

Bob
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Forgive me for going off topic but when they test trigger weight at a competition, do they test a dry fire pull or with an empty chamber discharge of air? With my own crude testing device on my 46m, dry fire mode is a little lighter than a discharge of air.
GarField000

Post by GarField000 »

I have been to a few matches now, but there has not been any kind off test, check or mesurement.
I have been to non ranking matches, ranking matches and even district matches .....
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

toddinjax wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:53 am Forgive me for going off topic but when they test trigger weight at a competition, do they test a dry fire pull or with an empty chamber discharge of air? With my own crude testing device on my 46m, dry fire mode is a little lighter than a discharge of air.
I'm curious how the trigger mechanism knows there's air to be discharged? The trigger only releases a striker. The striker interacts with the valve that releases air. The air hasn't been "touched" by the time the trigger is done doing it's work.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Green_Canoe wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:36 pm
toddinjax wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:53 am Forgive me for going off topic but when they test trigger weight at a competition, do they test a dry fire pull or with an empty chamber discharge of air? With my own crude testing device on my 46m, dry fire mode is a little lighter than a discharge of air.
I'm curious how the trigger mechanism knows there's air to be discharged? The trigger only releases a striker. The striker interacts with the valve that releases air. The air hasn't been "touched" by the time the trigger is done doing it's work.
8.4.2 ...When testing air or gas actuated pistols, the propellant charge must be activated.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Green_Canoe wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:36 pm
In a normal pistol, this is correct. However, if there is a way to "fake" a heavier trigger pull when gas is not released, somebody would try it. There is already an example of someone trying to cheat by modifying equipment at the Olympic level of competition, but in fencing, not pistol:

https://www.si.com/olympics/2020/07/21/ ... 6-olympics
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

toddinjax wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:53 am . . . when they test trigger weight at a competition . . . with an empty chamber discharge of air?
Pistol trigger must "Lift" the weight. Then "they" bounce it a bit & it must discharge air.

Ditch the 46 & upgrade.

Hope this helps.