Question about Rink grips

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mikk3

Question about Rink grips

Post by Mikk3 »

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking about buying my very first Rink grip for my FWB P44 because I bought the pistol used and the original grip is wrong size for me and also modified beyond all sense by the previous owner.

So, I had this question about the form of the grip. I know Rink offers a guide to choose the right one, but I was hoping that someone could explain to me a little better how to know if one needs a flat or convex grip? I know that the flat one is for short or big hands, but I really don't know which one to choose since at the moment I have no other reference than the awful grip I have now.
emre-nur

Re: Question about Rink grips

Post by emre-nur »

Mikk3 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:30 am Hi everyone!

I'm thinking about buying my very first Rink grip for my FWB P44 because I bought the pistol used and the original grip is wrong size for me and also modified beyond all sense by the previous owner.

So, I had this question about the form of the grip. I know Rink offers a guide to choose the right one, but I was hoping that someone could explain to me a little better how to know if one needs a flat or convex grip? I know that the flat one is for short or big hands, but I really don't know which one to choose since at the moment I have no other reference than the awful grip I have now.
Hi,
I have no answers to your questions but also considering rink grips.
With all respect, if you upload a picture of your grip while holding and explain what bothers you, I am sure some forum members will come up with concrete suggestions.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why drop a wad on grips that will not fit you without modification?

Either putty up the original grips and hack away on them until they are somewhere close to right, OR see if someone on TT has some used factory grips cheap.

You need to learn to alter grips to fit you or pay someone who does. You won't get what you want buying off the shelf (though many try).
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

A properly selected commercial grip (Rink, Nil Griffe, etc.) will get you a far better starting point than just attacking whatever you have with putty and a file. Rover will tell you that you can't buy points. However, if you buy a grip that is a reasonably good fit, you can spend the time you would have wasted with a file & putty on an unsuitable grip learning how to shoot better. Also, if you don't understand how to modify a grip properly to suit you, the more material you have to add or remove, the more likely you are to mess it up significantly.

I've been modifying and making grips for over 40 years, and I don't claim to know all the answers. I have my own theories about grip fitting, and they don't match entirely with a lot of stuff I've seen on-line. The difference between a good commercial grip and a really well fitting grip is generally pretty small & subtle.

I buy commercial grips all the time for the college team I help coach. We have tiny Asian women, and some fairly big guys. Throw in left vs right, and we've got quite a variety of sizes & shapes to deal with. We do NOT have time to carefully fit the grips of every shooter, especially because they will usually be gone in 3 years or less. A grip that is close to being right is FAR more preferable to one that is entirely the wrong size.

Before you get too obsessive about having a perfectly fitting grip, consider that people have been shooting exceptionally well for over a century with Colt 1911's. One-size-fits-none, but with proper technique, it doesn't mean that you can't shoot well.

If you are in the USA, you can also work with Andrew Berryhill at Precision Target Pistol Grips to get a grip for a lot less money than a Rink:

https://www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com/

You can also send a tracing of you hand & some photos to Rink & they will help with your selection.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I am fortunate. Rink grips fit my hand like they are tailored for it. I am not sure where I would start in modification of the two Steyr grips I have. I just know I don't find them to fit anywhere near as nice as Rink.

P.S. If you are new to the forum, when Gwhite and David M write something, its worth paying attention to. They both consistently make comments that prove to me that they know of what they post.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

brent375hh wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:33 am
P.S. If you are new to the forum, when Gwhite and David M write something, its worth paying attention to. They both consistently make comments that prove to me that they know of what they post.
+1
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

Gwhite wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:52 am A properly selected commercial grip (Rink, Nil Griffe, etc.) will get you a far better starting point than just attacking whatever you have with putty and a file. Rover will tell you that you can't buy points.
One can only share their own experiences, but I have my second Rink on order. They just seem to fit my hand.

I thought the grip on the Benelli was fantastic, until I tried a Rink. It was simply more comfortable and fit infinitely better.

I'm hoping for the same result on the K12 - we'll see. Good luck !
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

For some reason T Rink knows what shape a hand is.

Trying to make a grip fit yourself must be a process. Ever try on shoes that might be the right size, but just didn't feel good? How can you describe what you don't like, and add putty until you liked them?
GarField000

Post by GarField000 »

When I bought my second hand Walther LP400 it had 2 grips.
One rink grip connected. It felt like it was way to tight.
And a basic standard 3d wooden one. It felt better.
After time I noticed the grip had to much space so I could not keep it the same every time.
And if I lifted it it moved to much forward in my hand.
Than I remembered the Rink grip ....... fitted it ... very tight .. changed some things on the bottom ........
And now it fits nice and tight ... no movement when I move the gun up ...

It fits almost perfect ... I would only add some material on the bottom off the hand/palm to fill a little gap.
But in the fingers it's perfect.

I looked at getting my own ... and you have to draw your hand so they can fit it ...... But never did as this one is good enough for now as i am still learning.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

brent375hh wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:44 am For some reason T Rink knows what shape a hand is.

Trying to make a grip fit yourself must be a process. Ever try on shoes that might be the right size, but just didn't feel good? How can you describe what you don't like, and add putty until you liked them?
One problem is that "what you like" may not be the most accurate. Lots of people will put all sorts of putty on the SIDES of the grip until it fits the hand perfectly. It may feel great, but the last thing you want is contact on the sides. The slightest change in grip pressure will twist the pistol around sideways. I think that is one reason the 1911 grip works so well. All the contact is in line with the barrel, front to back.
gn303

Post by gn303 »

Rink is probably one of the best grip makers on the market. I would advise you to send him an outline of the shooting hand. That way you will have a grip that is the closest to your hand.
However, don't think that this grip will be perfect! It will be a very good starting point. It still may need slight modifications. But do remember that your hand will change. I would even say from day to day. So be prepared to do your part! Take your time to adapt and find out the nitty-gritty!
Success!
Guy
william

Post by william »

For whatever reason, Rink grips have been a terrible fit for my hand. On the other hand, my Benelli Kite's original equipment Nill grip was almost perfect out of the box
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have very "medium" sized hands, and prefer the Nill-Griffe grips as well, but the differences are small. However, Nill grips are both significantly more expensive than Rink, and available for a much smaller selection of pistols. Rink also has options like a 7 degree offset for cross-dominant shooters.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Nill's ortho grips are somewhat "fuller" in the palm area, and are a bit more vertical. OTOH Rink's models have many more fit options, notably the upswept palm rest (which is entirely unavailable from Nill). They build for a somewhat different spectrum of guns as well, Nill makes grips for revolvers, conventional semi-autos, etc, while Rink makes ones for free pistols, older competition guns, and so on.

Lately, it appears that Nill has cut back production of many items. Sizes are quite limited for some, and I suspect they're simply selling old stock for many. But what's in stock is ready to go. Rink is build-to-order and has a generally short lead time.

I have both, and love them! I have Nill on my primary Benelli and a Buckmark, and Rink on my AW93 and another Benelli, some of them left handed. I shoot both brands interchangeably. All have required some degree of shaping/puttying of course.
MikeMargolis

Post by MikeMargolis »

I have a rink on my Steyr LP-10

I have small to average hands, and ordered this:

| 1x | LP10 - blau-grau | 0% | Single price: EUR 188.82 | Total price: EUR 188.82 |||
| L
| right
| convex
| 0°
| normal

I LOVE the grip, have a matching one on my Pardini.Image
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

It looks very.............. 'Rink-esque' !

Here's what on my Benelli - (same parameters except XL) waiting for the same grip for the K12. (it departed Syracuse NY last night) Like I said - the stock Pardini is an excellent grip, the rear end just doesn't fit quite as well as the Rink. I really have no clue why....

dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

I've just received a Rink for my Morini CM 200ei in walnut. I did look at the coloured laminated options but decided against it simply because if I needed to ad any filler it would then stick out like majorly and look bloody awful.
lyoke3

Post by lyoke3 »

I would be interested in seeing pictures of the Rink on the CM200 EI. I was looking at getting one for mine.
New account - locked out of previous account "lyoke2"
nmondal

I just got mine - I sort of broke the screw

Post by nmondal »

I got mine a week back - it did not fit ( need to sand paper it, I think )
and I think I broke the screw.
Other than that - the mechanism is perfect engineering I would say, really nice.
Just that for now I can not use it.
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
brent375hh

Re: I just got mine - I sort of broke the screw

Post by brent375hh »

nmondal wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:31 pm I got mine a week back - it did not fit ( need to sand paper it, I think )
and I think I broke the screw.
Other than that - the mechanism is perfect engineering I would say, really nice.
Just that for now I can not use it.
If it doesn't fit your hand, maybe you could send it back for credit against a different size or fit. Did you contact Rink about the fit to your hand, or just about fitting to the gun?