Morini Free Pistol Compensator Questions (especially for Fra

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Paul T (UK)

Morini Free Pistol Compensator Questions (especially for Fra

Post by Paul T (UK) »

I followed some interesting threads for the CM84e free pistol compensator.
1. Should the compensator (not the standard foresight mounting) be positioned in the rearmost position (i.e. the compensator brought as close to the barrel as possible) or is the position not relevant)?
2. Does the compensator require additional holes in the side?
3. What are the recommended cleaning procedures for this compensator?
4. I note a FAS version has been advertised, this has additional holes. Where can these be purchased if it is in production (and is it approved by Morini!)?
5. Out of interest, are other commercial CM83e compensator versions available?
6. I noted David had developed his own version, are any more details available?
Many thanks
Paul

paul-at-lans.demon.co.uk.47781.0
Mark.

Re: Morini Free Pistol Compensator Questions (especially for

Post by Mark. »

Hi Paul,
Although I'm neither Francesco nor David, I've now got some experience with the CM-84E compensator. I'll try to provide the benefit of my experience in-line with your questions below.

Mark.
: 1. Should the compensator (not the standard foresight mounting) be positioned in the rearmost position (i.e. the compensator brought as close to the barrel as possible) or is the position not relevant)?
- The compensator functions best when installed at the most extended position (resulting in greatest overall length of the pistol).
: 2. Does the compensator require additional holes in the side?
- Mine seems to function well without any additional drilling. Recoil is substantially reduced. And the gun comes back absolutely flat, allowing me to call shots much, much better than with the sight holder installed.
: 3. What are the recommended cleaning procedures for this compensator?
- I've been using a Q-tip as a mild abrasive scrubber and occassionally a drop of Hoppes #9 powder solvent which has been working a charm and so far hasn't shown any tendancy to marr the finish.
: 4. I note a FAS version has been advertised, this has additional holes. Where can these be purchased if it is in production (and is it approved by Morini!)?
-Where did you hear about the FAS version? I'd welcome any info you might be able to provide.
: 5. Out of interest, are other commercial CM83e compensator versions available?
: 6. I noted David had developed his own version, are any more details available?
: Many thanks
: Paul

Francesco

Re: Morini Free Pistol Compensator Questions (especially for

Post by Francesco »

: I followed some interesting threads for the CM84e free pistol compensator.
: 1. Should the compensator (not the standard foresight mounting) be positioned in the rearmost position (i.e. the compensator brought as close to the barrel as possible) or is the position not relevant)? - The compensator shoud be adjusted in relation with the ammunition. You shoot on a bench starting from the hole that fits the barrel, you look the grouping and you move the compensator back 5 mm and you look at the grouping. You are going to have allways closer groupings until it goes larger again. One step back and you have found the right position.
: 2. Does the compensator require additional holes in the side? - No
: 3. What are the recommended cleaning procedures for this compensator? - Lead cleaning liquids.
: 4. I note a FAS version has been advertised, this has additional holes. Where can these be purchased if it is in production (and is it approved by Morini!)? - There is no FAS version, we started the production of the compensator several Italian shooter use (Fait, Di Donna, Bruno). The compensator is double the lenght of the normal front sight holder. Shooting with this long sighting line is difficult is you are not quiet. If you want I have picture.
: 5. Out of interest, are other commercial CM83e compensator versions available? - I don't know.
: 6. I noted David had developed his own version, are any more details available?
: Many thanks
: Paul

morini-at-bluewin.ch.47814.47781
RML

Compensator picture

Post by RML »

This sounds interesting. It would be interesting to see a picture of this new compensator.
RML
David Levene

2 Pictures

Post by David Levene »

: This sounds interesting. It would be interesting to see a picture of this new compensator.
I have two .jpg showing compensators (supposedly for the Morini and Toz) with the name TOP TEN Quality Elements but have no idea how to post them to the board. I know it can be done but cannot remember how.
Will happily email them.

dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.47837.47835
Paul T (UK)

Re: CM84E Compensator

Post by Paul T (UK) »

I have both the compensator and standard front sight holder. Both offer three positions of compensator/standard front sight position and on both units, the three hole positions are provided for the front sight blade positions. They both appear to offer the same effective sight length options though. They are both about the same weight.
I agree, at full length and the front sight blade at the most forward position, the sight radius is long, but this is also the case without the compensator. It is therefore OK to position the front sight on the compensator to a rear sight radius position?
I do understand from your reply I need to test the actual compensator position on the barrel for optimal accuracy. If a picture is available that would be great as I am probably missing the point.
My last 30 shots held the 9 ring at 50m and a few 8’s were shot earlier in the training session so I am completing some ammunition testing over the next couple of weeks and will establish the best compensator position.
Francesco, the CM84E is a wonderful gun and shoots very well for me. I have the UK version with the slightly longer barrel and rear counter weights. The build and balance is superb. Many thanks for working with Tom and Frank putting this package together.
Paul

paul-at-lans.demon.co.uk.47839.47814
mako

email the to me and I'll post them .... .nt

Post by mako »

: : This sounds interesting. It would be interesting to see a picture of this new compensator.
: I have two .jpg showing compensators (supposedly for the Morini and Toz) with the name TOP TEN Quality Elements but have no idea how to post them to the board. I know it can be done but cannot remember how.
: Will happily email them.

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.47840.47837
David M

Re: Morini Free Pistol Compensator

Post by David M »

The compensator I use is closer to a gas extractor than a compensator.
Then design has four large 12mm holes angled at 45 degrees(two up and two down),it is similar to the Walther air pistol forend but it has a additional expansion chamber after the holes.
The idea is to stop gas overtaking the projectile after it leaves the barrel and to stabalize the mussle.
I use it with faster .22 ammos that produce lots of gas pressure. It stops the muzzle lifting and you can follow through a lot better and call your shots. It will improve the groups when hand shot, but from a machine rest it makes very little difference.
Our range is very windy (on a clifftop) and the high velocity helps in the wind.
The large holes are very easy to keep clean (they should be cleaned every 100-200 shots, depending on the ammo).
If I have time, I will put the design to paper and put it on this site (sometime after our Olympic trials).