Tau 7… yes or no

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ade C

Tau 7… yes or no

Post by Ade C »

There's a Tau 7 on a UK forum for sale for the equivalent of around $340 (£250). I've already got a Hammerli AP20 but I can't seem to 'bond' with it. What I'm really looking for is for someone to talk me out of it as I'm not exactly flush with money. Interested in opinions, either good or bad.
Gwhite

Re: Tau 7… yes or no

Post by Gwhite »

The Tau-7's are great pistols, but they can be hard to get parts for in the US. Grip options are also limited because the wood has to fit around the CO2 reservoir. If you have medium to large hands, that shouldn't be an issue.

If you have an AP20, you are talking about switching from dealing with compressed air to CO2. The ideal way to shoot the Tau 7 is to fill the grip reservoir from a tank, rather than using cartridges, but it depends on how much shooting you do.
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

I don't really shoot 10m that much, maybe 30 shots once a week. The Tau uses 12g capsules too which apparently gives around 50 shots so that would be enough. My hands are average so assuming the grips would be ok. I really like the look of them and it's not often a proper target pistol comes up for sale at an affordable (for me) price. I guess if I was to "pull the trigger" and get it I'd easily get my money back if I couldn't get on with it.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Unless somebody has cranked up the velocity, they will usually get through a 60 shot match & sighters on a 12 gram cartridge. If you get the full kit, they come with barrel weights, which (for me) makes the balance & stability much better than the AP20.

The one thing to remember if you use CO2 cartridges is that you need to alternate between the two piercing caps. This allows the O-ring to recover from absorbed CO2 while the other one is in use.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Is there anyone here that considers this a desirable AP contender?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I still shoot mine occasionally. I have a left handed grip on it, and when the spasm in my right arm act up, I shoot the Tau. Back before PCP's took over, the college team I help coach did very well with them. They have excellent triggers, and are plenty accurate. You can also now get grips custom made by Andrew Berryhill for them.

They are a very capable pistol.
spektr

Post by spektr »

A Tau7 is on my wish list just because I have a collection of CO2 shooters.....