First 10m AP Target (ever)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Agt. Smith

Re: First 10m AP Target (ever)

Post by Agt. Smith »

Wednesday night was our AP pistol night. No targets of note because I was adjusting everything and experimenting all night. Tried it without the barrel slide but it was WAY too light. Put it back on and I think I got the barrel weights placed nicely (all 4 in front), and the grip adjusted as good as possible.

Shot 2 more (relaxed) targets last night. 159 - 82, 77 This time using the sub-6 LT (raise to the sight picture). I focused mostly on trigger work - "trusting the squeeze". I tried to REALLY take my time but clearly I still rushed a few. These are still my best scores so far.

I seem to feel more at ease with coming up from the bottom (right now anyway). Probably because it's more like what I'm accustomed to in conventional large caliber CF. Passing the front sight down through the bull still seems really foreign to me. I won't give up completely on it, but old dog new tricks......you know.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

There was a scientific study that showed that you are more stable (briefly) if you relax into a position than if you muscle your way into it (like lifting into your hold). I've never actually seen the paper describing the test process used, and I'd love to know just how long the stability improvement lasts. I've experimented a bit myself, and it may only be a couple seconds.

The main reason I start above the black is that I can get my sight alignment all squared away without the distraction of the black. I make sure I am focused on my front sight before I drop down into my hold. That way I've (mostly) only got to worry about getting my "sub-six" distance correct before the shot breaks.
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

I think the biology would definitely support that. I've never been one to dwell on a trigger squeeze - that could be a part of the problem. Dropping into position feels like......well......dwelling........

But on the other hand, I'm so new to AP that I'll continue to experiment with both until I come to a solid conclusion. This document https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 21.1891820 seems to infer that "aiming time" correlates to stability of hold. It may be a temporary feeling for a new comer - but as of today, lifting into the aiming picture feels infinitely easier (to me).

I think I've been shooting plates and gongs with a .44 for too long. Just hit it, it goes over, good night Irene. Like I said - different can of works here.
Gwhite wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:36 am There was a scientific study that showed that you are more stable (briefly) if you relax into a position than if you muscle your way into it (like lifting into your hold). I've never actually seen the paper describing the test process used, and I'd love to know just how long the stability improvement lasts. I've experimented a bit myself, and it may only be a couple seconds.

The main reason I start above the black is that I can get my sight alignment all squared away without the distraction of the black. I make sure I am focused on my front sight before I drop down into my hold. That way I've (mostly) only got to worry about getting my "sub-six" distance correct before the shot breaks.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Repeat what produces “ keep doing that”.
Attachments
C3FF8CB5-30A5-46A4-9A61-5834C5F67A2D.jpeg