My target, six weeks in

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
PirateJohn

My target, six weeks in

Post by PirateJohn »

I've had a pistol for only six weeks so far and just fired about a dozen shots and kept them all in the black. I might just be getting the hang of this! :-)
Attachments
20210917_160930.jpg
brent375hh

Re: My target, six weeks in

Post by brent375hh »

Nice round group, probably means you don't have any trigger errors. If that's at 10 meters you are on your way to winning.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

brent375hh wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:01 pm Nice round group, probably means you don't have any trigger errors. If that's at 10 meters you are on your way to winning.
Yes, it's 10 meters, at least as close to 10 meters as I'm capable of measuring in my apartment -- my "range" involves shooting over a treadmill and a dinner table. Good thing I live alone!
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

I'm wondering if there are any coaches in my area, north of Chicago. I had found a club a town over from me and sent them an e-mail but I haven't gotten a reply. I don't know if the club still exists (their web site hasn't been updated since 2015) or if they aren't meeting because of Covid. Would be nice to get some coaching if only to get me started, since most of what I am doing now pretty much just comes from reading articles and watching videos online.
Be chuter

Post by Be chuter »

PirateJohn
I’m new to this forum so I don’t want to step in toes but I’ve seen promotion for international pistol events on another forum in Illinois. Send me a pm and I’ll point you to what I saw and you can contact those folks.

John
lalka686

Post by lalka686 »

Hi PirateJohn,
I'm taking care of Arlington International Airgun Club adult members and we would be happy to help you out with coaching. We meet every Wednesday night for pistol practice at CLA in Arlington Heights and we run monthly competitions in Streator IL. sanctioned by USA Shooting. We have two level 3 pistol coaches and I'm level 1 myself. Your group will look like this in no time, as long as you're willing to listen. Please contact me for more details. Bernard
Attachments
Target 9-8-21.jpg
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

lalka686 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:05 am Hi PirateJohn,
I'm taking care of Arlington International Airgun Club adult members and we would be happy to help you out with coaching. We meet every Wednesday night for pistol practice at CLA in Arlington Heights and we run monthly competitions in Streator IL. sanctioned by USA Shooting. We have two level 3 pistol coaches and I'm level 1 myself. Your group will look like this in no time, as long as you're willing to listen. Please contact me for more details. Bernard
Thanks! I just sent you a DM with my e-mail address
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

hi,
is the "red dot" in the bullseye permissible?
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

and my targets of today after like 4 months. not improving fast.

Image-1-10.jpg
Image-1-11.jpg
Rover

Post by Rover »

emre-nur wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:54 am hi,
Not really, except that it indicates a crap quality target (from Beeman?). But, at this point, what difference does it make?
lalka686

Post by lalka686 »

Don't look at the score from beginning, turn your target around and shoot group on plain paper. For 4 months of training, your group is very good.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Rover wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:27 am
emre-nur wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:54 am hi,
Not really, except that it indicates a crap quality target (from Beeman?). But, at this point, what difference does it make?
National makes 10 meter air pistol and air rifle targets with a red center dot. Not legal for ISSF competition, so I'm not certain why they make and market them. They don't appear to be NRA competition approved, either. I've never used them, but I'm wondering if they make sighting/holding on target a bit easier?
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

I'm still working on getting them all in the black. Like herding cats. Looks like you're there man.

Keep working on it...........!
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

lalka686 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:47 am Don't look at the score from beginning, turn your target around and shoot group on plain paper. For 4 months of training, your group is very good.
These are the best pick of the day. Had many flyers before and after...
Though, happy to have one all in 8.
lalka686

Post by lalka686 »

For pistol shooting, the red dot in the center of target makes absolutely no sense. You can use black marker to paint it over.
We teach sub 6 area aim (black sights on white paper) and the red dot will steal your focus from the front sight to the target which is not good.
Also ones you take a stand, you don't want to move your feet for 10 or 20 consecutive shots, we call it "dancing on the shooting line".
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

lalka686 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:45 am For pistol shooting, the red dot in the center of target makes absolutely no sense. You can use black marker to paint it over.
We teach sub 6 area aim (black sights on white paper) and the red dot will steal your focus from the front sight to the target which is not good.
Also ones you take a stand, you don't want to move your feet for 10 or 20 consecutive shots, we call it "dancing on the shooting line".
It was what came with the pistol I bought, so I'm using them up. I ordered a bunch more that don't have the red dot.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

PirateJohn wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:53 am I ordered a bunch more that don't have the red dot.
Good move!

Bob
Rover

Post by Rover »

BobGee wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:23 am
PirateJohn wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:53 am I ordered a bunch more that don't have the red dot.
Good move!

Bob
Only if they are quality "Euro" targets. US made AP targets suck.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

lalka686 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:45 am For pistol shooting, the red dot in the center of target makes absolutely no sense. You can use black marker to paint it over.
You can make a template to place on the floor which will allow you to step away from the firing line and then return with the ability to place your feet exactly where they were preciously.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

A couple of errant shots but I could get accustomed to this kind of grouping. I took about 9 or 10 shots.
Attachments
20210923_193248.jpg